• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm probably going to sell my shotgun to a Michigan resident. I just got off the phone with a Michigan FFL and He was SURE that I didn't have to go through an FFL. But after reading here and other forums it seems like I definitely have to go through an FFL. My question is: Can we complete the transaction through an FFL in Michigan (Buyers State or residence) or must we go through an FFL in Indiana(My state of residence) or does it matter at all what state the FFL is in (MI or IN). I figure its better to er on the side of legality when FELONIES are at stake.

The FFL that told you that is most certainly wrong. You must go through an FFL in the purchasers state.

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    The FFL that told you that is most certainly wrong. You must go through an FFL in the purchasers state.

I know what you are saying, and I agree.

But something strikes me as odd about "you must go through an FFL in the purchasers state".

I buy guns all the time and have them transfered through my uncle who holds an FFL in Ohio. I am an Indiana resident. He isn't a FFL in my state and its 100% legal.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I know what you are saying, and I agree.

But something strikes me as odd about "you must go through an FFL in the purchasers state".

I buy guns all the time and have them transfered through my uncle who holds an FFL in Ohio. I am an Indiana resident. He isn't a FFL in my state and its 100% legal.

You are correct. State law allows you to purchase long-guns in our surrounding states through an FFL. I forgot about that part, rep for reminding me :)

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    You are correct. State law allows you to purchase long-guns in our surrounding states through an FFL. I forgot about that part, rep for reminding me :)

I think I reminded myself also...

I was just reading what you wrote...and I was all yea i agree needs to go through ffl. But then I was like wait? I buy my guns from another state's FFL, make me wonder if I was doing something illegal lol :laugh:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Question on selling guns by owner.

Do I need to go through a licensed firearm dealer to sell my guns? Just curious. Trying to sell some of our guns that are just sitting in the safe.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Not sure about how one would go about doing that. I am new to this site.
    And before you ask, or complain, or whine about having to get 50 posts (many new members do so), let me explain why that rule is in place.

This is not a firearms classifieds site with a discussion board as a bonus. It is a firearms discussion board with a classifieds section as a bonus. With that in mind, before the rule was implemented, we would get a lot of traffic from people that were just coming here to use the classifieds to buy and sell. That is frowned upon because the bandwidth here is to be used for discussion, not for freeloaders to come use just to peddle their wares. So make yourself welcome, and join the discussion, and when you've reached your 50 quality posts through quality discussion, feel free to use the classifieds.

mik1202002

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Feb 12, 2009
    Greencastle

So if the rifle goes through a surrounding states FFL who then is the rifle shipped to? It would be the person who bought the rifle correct? Just wanted to make sure I was following it correctly

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Before we know it, it will be illegal to do any gun trading in state as well! I wonder if say a family member gives you a gun and they live out of state if that's legal. You didn't buy it, it was a gift. Just was curious of that.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    So if the rifle goes through a surrounding states FFL who then is the rifle shipped to? It would be the person who bought the rifle correct? Just wanted to make sure I was following it correctly

Not really sure what you're asking. A little clarification please.

Before we know it, it will be illegal to do any gun trading in state as well! I wonder if say a family member gives you a gun and they live out of state if that's legal. You didn't buy it, it was a gift. Just was curious of that.

That would be a transfer of ownership across state lines, and illegal without going through an FFL. Unless the executor of someone's estate or a person's will gives you the firearm of course, then it is legal, but not really a "gift" at that point.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indianapolis
    This should be a sticky for the classifieds. There are even some FFLs that are not aware of this, and that could be bad news for someone if the ATF decided to pose as a seller.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    So... I'm slightly confused about a couple things here.

My dad is going to mail me a gun from North Carolina. But it's going to be a gift. I'm feeling like I should go the safe route of an FFL, just to be in the clear. But how exactly would he go about mailing it? Does he just box it up and mail it to an FFL? Or does he have to mail it from any place in particular? And I'm assuming that I'm the one who picks up the tab for it arriving at the FFL.

I just want to make sure before I do all of this.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It doesn't matter if it's a gift or not. If you are residents of different states, it has to go through an FFL.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    It doesn't matter if it's a gift or not. If you are residents of different states, it has to go through an FFL.

That's kind of what I figured. I just got confused because of the executor of the will "gift" thing. But does he just ship it from his house or wherever to an FLL?

Top Bottom