• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    i have several things i want to post in the classifieds when i get to 50 posts. everything will be face to face in Indiana. i was wondering how do you know who is legal to buy firearms and is not a felon? or is it just up to the buyer to know if they are legal to buy? Thanks
    That is an excellent discussion topic. I’ll try in more when I’m not in a moving car using talk to text and no I’m not driving.

bowhunter911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2024
    La Crosse Indiana
    A lot of folks want to see both Indiana drivers license and license to carry a handgun. That checks the Indiana resident box as well as there is a very very good chance you’re a proper person if you have a valid license to carry.
    right, i understand the indiana drivers license. i do have have a lifetime license to carry, but i got mine years ago, now people no longer need them to carry, it would be almost useless for indiana people to get one now.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    right, i understand the indiana drivers license. i do have have a lifetime license to carry, but i got mine years ago, now people no longer need them to carry, it would be almost useless for indiana people to get one now.
    Two points: one always get a license to carry a handgun. We are up to 28 states now with constitutional carry, they are free in Indiana get one.

.2 is, and it’s a good thing with the classified here at Indiana gunowners… The seller sets the terms. If the terms are reasonable, then the item will be sold if your terms are Indiana license and I want to see a licensed to carry, so be it.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Sans any other reason to believe that a potential buyer is prohibited the only due diligence that I have a personal policy of establishing would be to make sure the potential buyer is a resident of Indiana.

I have even gone as far as specifically mentioning up front in my ads that any potential buyer must be an Indiana resident 18+ with verifiable proof of age and residency.

I believe the law states that a seller must have prior knowledge that the buyer is a prohibited person to be held responsible for a prohibited sale.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Indiana does not require any action by the seller - just to not knowingly sell to a prohibited person.

I do what most do. DL and LTCH but, as stated, doesn't really mean much and, without copies or a bill of sale, can't really prove what you did.

I don't sell much and when I do, its been someone here or was an out of state sale handled by an FFL.

I have walked away from at least one purchase because the seller didn't seem right.

When I told him I was walking he was extremely nice about it which told me I was right to walk and should RUN from that deal!

bowhunter911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2024
    La Crosse Indiana
    so if someone that is NOT allowed to buy a gun, had an indiana drivers license and purchased a gun in Indiana FTF, all the trouble would be on the buyer and none on the seller? as long as the seller had no reason to believe the buyer wasn't allowed to own a gun?

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Would you have preferred he not be nice about it? What would be a reasonable response?
    He offered no counterpoint - no renegotiation of price - no insistence that the deal was as advertised and/or agreed to.

When I told him I was walking, his only response was "Sorry to hear. Thanks for your time, man" and he immediately walked away.

I suspect the firearm was stolen from a family member (or other party) for drug money.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    so if someone that is NOT allowed to buy a gun, had an indiana drivers license and purchased a gun in Indiana FTF, all the trouble would be on the buyer and none on the seller? as long as the seller had no reason to believe the buyer wasn't allowed to own a gun?
    Pretty much. Under the law the key element is that prior knowledge has to be established in order to prosecute a seller.

Last edited:

penguinship

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2020
    Bloomington
    He offered no counterpoint - no renegotiation of price - no insistence that the deal was not as advertised and/or agreed to.

When I told him I was walking, his only response was "Sorry to hear. Thanks for your time, man" and he immediately walked away.

I suspect the firearm was stolen from a family member (or other party) for drug money.
    To start, overall, I agree with you. As buyer or seller, you can and should walk away from a purchase that seems suspicious. Additionally, obviously I wasn't there and my impression is just from a couple of comments on the internet. I assume there were other signs that you noticed that seemed off.

With that said, it seems to me that if he was trying to get rid of it quickly, he would be more likely to try to lower the price, etc. I guess my point is, had he offered a lower price or something, you might be here posting today that it was suspicious because it seemed like he was desperately trying to make a quick sale

Top Bottom