• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    To start, overall, I agree with you. As buyer or seller, you can and should walk away from a purchase that seems suspicious. Additionally, obviously I wasn't there and my impression is just from a couple of comments on the internet. I assume there were other signs that you noticed that seemed off.

With that said, it seems to me that if he was trying to get rid of it quickly, he would be more likely to try to lower the price, etc. I guess my point is, had he offered a lower price or something, you might be here posting today that it was suspicious because it seemed like he was desperately trying to make a quick sale
    I was just making a passing comment on the internet and didn't intend to support the entire occurrence...but...I am here and work is getting boring. :cool:

The rest of the story is:

The gun was a Smith and Wesson 3906. Not a rare gun but not a common gun either. It was, quite literally, in factory new condition, with the box and all the little goodies that came with. The exact price I don't recall but it was no more than the low end of wholesale value. Let's call it a good deal.

Seller shows up in a ratty old car, is probably mid '20s and has a look rattier than the car. Not what you would expect the seller of that particular firearm to be presented as. Sure sure, shouldn't judge on appearance only but..

Gut said "This ain't right" and he reaction to "no, thanks" after we each had a 45 minute drive supported that gut feeling.

I guess my point of all this is; if it doesn't feel right, don't make the buy/sale. Not worth it.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Just my two-cents. I meet only in a public place, during the daylight hours. I don't go to your home, I don't expect you to come to mine. I don't get in anyone else's car, don't want you in mine. All that is pretty easy. Once a meeting place is agreed upon, nothing else needs to be mentioned. I may be a bit anal, but my requirements are: LTCH, and IN DL. I can pee into Michigan from my back yard, but keep sales to Indiana residents. I may be going a bit overboard, but I also require addresses on LTCH and DL to match. Technicality? Yes. Technically, holders are required to update LTCH and DL to keep them valid. That gets a bit fuzzy, because one is not REQUIRED to have a LTCH in Indiana. I've never had a problem with these rules. I have lost one sale to my 'matching address' requirement. It was to an INGO'er. I put the requirement in my PM. He graciously bowed out, stating he didn't want to spend $20 on an updated LTCH that he did not need. Well, OK. Two other things I do, that I have not mentioned to anyone I've sold to on here are these. Inevitably, we end up texting during the transaction. I keep the phone number (no name, or any other info) in my phone as: 'P320 buyer', or whatever. I also make a cash deposit in the amount of the sale to my bank on the same day as the sale. Both of these are supporting evidence that I have actually sold a particular gun, on a particular date, for a particular amount.

bowhunter911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2024
    La Crosse Indiana
    i was thinking it would be a very good idea to write out and keep a receipt from the buyer, and on the receipt have him put "i certify that i am legally allowed to buy this firearm" along with the serial # and buyer signature.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    i was thinking it would be a very good idea to write out and keep a receipt from the buyer, and on the receipt have him put "i certify that i am legally allowed to buy this firearm" along with the serial # and buyer signature.
    You could. Many won’t accept those terms and will not agree to buy from you.

bowhunter911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2024
    La Crosse Indiana
    You do have to notify the state that you are at a new address but they don't send out an updated card unless you pay for it. The mis-matched addresses doesn't prove anything. But, your sale, your rules.
    i did not know we are supposed to notify the state if we move, i just looked at carry permit, i got it in 2008, i moved in to my new house in 2017. so is mine not valid because it has my old address? im still the same person. :) actually i did update my drivers license with the correct address when i moved here. do i have to contact the state police or something to update my carry permit? or its all in one?

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    i did not know we are supposed to notify the state if we move, i just looked at carry permit, i got it in 2008, i moved in to my new house in 2017. so is mine not valid because it has my old address? im still the same person. :) actually i did update my drivers license with the correct address when i moved here. do i have to contact the state police or something to update my carry permit? or its all in one?

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    You should be careful about keeping any documentation. In your attempts to make sure every thing is "legal" you could be making the case for a prosecutor you're a de facto gun dealer with an FFL.

As was said above, you get to know whether a person is slimy or not pretty quick. Every time I've bought or sold you at least exchange a few texts/phone calls. Not to mention you see whether or not the person has posted in the forum.

If you have any kind of dirtbag filter at all, you'll know if it's a prohibited person.

And if you have any hang ups, just go to an ffl and do the transfer.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What do you NEED proof the gun was sold to someone else for?
    THIS. The tree rodent asks a valid question.

"I sold that gun a while back. Sorry, I didnt retain their contact info." is all you need as proof if questioned by authorities during a trace.

They will say thank you and move on. I guess they might ask you for a physical description if you dont recall the name. Under certain circumstances I could see them asking where you were on a particular day/time to gauge your reaction and rule you out as a suspect. But I dont think that would even be common.

But this is America (at least for now) and THEY have to have to prove you are guilty. YOU are not required to provide proof of your innocence via a receipt, etc.

bowhunter911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2024
    La Crosse Indiana
    THIS. The tree rodent asks a valid question.

"I sold that gun a while back. Sorry, I didnt retain their contact info." is all you need as proof if questioned by authorities during a trace.

They will say thank you and move on. I guess they might ask you for a physical description if you dont recall the name. Under certain circumstances I could see them asking where you were on a particular day/time to gauge your reaction and rule you out as a suspect. But I dont think that would even be common.

But this is America (at least for now) and THEY have to have to prove you are guilty. YOU are not required to provide proof of your innocence via a receipt, etc.
    ok, that is a good way to look at it, i just assumed if the gun was still in the sellers name, the seller would be suspect #1.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    as stated.... if it was used in a crime, the serial number would come back to the seller. that would be you.

Ok. I find a gun at a crime scene. The s/n trace shows you were the last person who bought it from an FFL. I come knock on your door.

Why do you *NEED* a receipt?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom