• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have a gun listed on Armslist and I was contacted by someone wanting info.

When I spoke to them on the phone they kept asking to make sure there was no background checks and when I asked if they had an Indiana license and a LTCH they said no and probably couldn't pass for one either.

The conversation ended there Maybe I am a little paranoid but it really felt like a setup to me to see if I would sell to the wrong people.
    Do the police troll these ads doing this? Or maybe just someone with nothing better to do.
    Anybody else have this happen? This is actually the second time something similar has happened while advertising on there.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I don't know about local police agencies doing that, but I wouldn't be surprised if the BATFE did that.

I would have ended the conversation right where you did too! :yesway:

Even if it was not a setup, I do not want to help someone gain possesion of a firearm that is not legally allowed to own one.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I don't know about local police agencies doing that, but I wouldn't be surprised if the BATFE did that.

I would have ended the conversation right where you did too! :yesway:

Even if it was not a setup, I do not want to help someone gain possesion of a firearm that is not legally allowed to own one.

I couldn't agree more.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It amazes me the kind of things that people come out and say. I have seen basically the same thing 2x, once at a gun show and another time in a local gun shop. Two guys come up to one of the salesman. Hey my brother wants to buy a gun but he can't. So I am going to run it under my name. Okay? I always wondered if they were actually regular guys that were just that dumb or if they were undercover ATF.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    It amazes me the kind of things that people come out and say. I have seen basically the same thing 2x, once at a gun show and another time in a local gun shop. Two guys come up to one of the salesman. Hey my brother wants to buy a gun but he can't. So I am going to run it under my name. Okay? I always wondered if they were actually regular guys that were just that dumb or if they were undercover ATF.
    You would almost think that they had to be ATF. Who would be that stupid to come out and say it if that was the case? "Hey, I'm an ex con and I know you can't sell me a gun, so my brother is going to 'buy' it."

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    Maybe a news media type too. They like to do these sort of things to push their agendas. Then they will make this huge deal out of how easy a person can get a gun with no paperwork or background checks.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I always ask to see an Indiana driver's license and ask whether they have been convicted of a felony. If I don't see an indiana driver's license or if the answer to whether they have been convicted of a felony is anything but NO, I walk away. Actually, I run away.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    As responsible gun owners we should all do everything we can to make sure the person we sell a gun to is legally able to own one. What the law says we must do in Indiana is not the issue. If somebody on INGO sells a gun to somebody who is not legally able to own one and that person goes and kills 15 people in the mall it will make us all look bad.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Yea it was just a little to fishy. he asked repeatedly "no background check right?"

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Yeah, that sounds fishy...

Just asking that question implies that a background check would ban them from a purchase...

Not being able to supply a drivers license is ridiculous... If they do not drive, you would think they would at least have a state ID they could offer to show you... Simple proof of residency is not out of the question in a private sale when the buyer is a stranger... When people forget to ask, I usually go out of the way to show them anyway... Just out of habit...

If it was a setup or just a random idiot is pure speculation, but whatever the case it is likely a good thing you refused the sale.

Last edited:

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Yeah, that sounds fishy...

Just asking that question implies that a background check would ban them from a purchase...

Not being able to supply a drivers license is ridiculous... If they do not drive, you would think they would at least have a state ID they could offer to show you... Simple proof of residency is not out of the question in a private sale when the buyer is a stranger... When people forget to ask, I usually go out of the way to show them anyway... Just out of habit...

If it was a setup or just a random idiot is pure speculation, but whatever the case it is likely a good thing you refused the sale.

Agree 100%

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I've noticed some guys on Armslist listing a gun on the Indiana list, and then see the same gun listed on the Kentucky list. I'll usually try to contact them and tell them list only in their own state.

Top Bottom