• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Is no one else bothered by the fact Winchester has 2 model 55s out there.. With all the different numbers and letters in the world they had two different guns use the same model numbers..

403win55wr.jpg

064_edited-2.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Is no one else bothered by the fact Winchester has 2 model 55s out there.. With all the different numbers and letters in the world they had two different guns use the same model numbers..

403win55wr.jpg

064_edited-2.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Yeah, the lever action is what came up most often when I was looking for info on mine. I don't know what their thinking was on that. :scratch:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    No, it's a little hard to see in the pic, but it says 22 S L OR LR. In the spirit of :ingo: I was gonna say something like "Shorts? You don't even need pants to shoot it!" :):

After cleaning my glasses, HEY there is an S there!! That makes more sense, all should work with single shot. I gotta say there is some cool factor, but a bolt works pretty good for a single shot.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    After cleaning my glasses, HEY there is an S there!! That makes more sense, all should work with single shot. I gotta say there is some cool factor, but a bolt works pretty good for a single shot.

Yeah, I was just attracted to it for the oddball factor I think. I do like the idea of using it for first time shooters with the "automatic" safety, although when are they going to come across another one with the same manual of arms? :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I took it apart yesterday and man, it is clean as a whistle inside. Mirror bright bore, and not even any kind of residue on the "guts". It appears not to have been shot much, and obviously it was well taken care of. It did have a bit of a "rattle" to it between the barrel and stock forend, so I took a small piece of cork gasket material and "bedded" it back near the receiver. That got rid of the rattle, and basically free-floated the barrel. It will be interesting to see how the accuracy is.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    It doesn't look any different with the bolt cocked back. The loading gate hides the inner workings. I know of at least two other people that were interested in it. One of them bid on GB, the other one just complained that I "stole" his rifle. :p

You know GB is going to hell.. I hate snowflake bidders who are babies.. "Ohhh I got outbid.. I am going to cry , you are a mean person.. mr winner"

So when you cock the bolt and are getting ready to load you must push the loading gate down at that time?? And then it snaps back when you remove your fingers..???

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You know GB is going to hell.. I hate snowflake bidders who are babies.. "Ohhh I got outbid.. I am going to cry , you are a mean person.. mr winner"

So when you cock the bolt and are getting ready to load you must push the loading gate down at that time?? And then it snaps back when you remove your fingers..???

Yep, that's correct. It's spring-loaded. Basically works just like a loading gate on a lever action, except you're pushing the round into the chamber instead of the magazine. In fact, when it's not cocked, you can't push the loading gate down (since the bolt is in the forward position at that time).

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Cool rifle, I was not aware of that Winchester model, but had handled an example of the Walther at a large gun auction years ago. There are just so many neat guns out there!

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Yep, that's correct. It's spring-loaded. Basically works just like a loading gate on a lever action, except you're pushing the round into the chamber instead of the magazine. In fact, when it's not cocked, you can't push the loading gate down (since the bolt is in the forward position at that time).

At the last Indianapolis Gun & Rod Algonquin round Table meeting. The topic of the Model 55 came up. And it was claimed that each time you depress the loading gate to load a round the safety was reset on, Is that true?????

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    At the last Indianapolis Gun & Rod Algonquin round Table meeting. The topic of the Model 55 came up. And it was claimed that each time you depress the loading gate to load a round the safety was reset on, Is that true?????

Well, it's not the depressing of the loading gate that sets the safety. The safety gets set when the bolt is pulled back manually or after firing. You can't depress the loading gate when the bolt is in the forward position (uncocked). Remember, it fires from an open bolt. If you dry fire it, you can't depress the loading gate, and the safety remains in the off position.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Well, it's not the depressing of the loading gate that sets the safety. The safety gets set when the bolt is pulled back manually or after firing. You can't depress the loading gate when the bolt is in the forward position (uncocked). Remember, it fires from an open bolt. If you dry fire it, you can't depress the loading gate, and the safety remains in the off position.

DD What the heck are you doing to me.. So I try to come off smart in front of the IGRART Vice President.. I tell him what you said about pulling back the bolt engages the Safety.. But I left your name out of it and try to sound like I know what I am doing, and he gives me a tongue lashing to beat the band.. The Bolt does not engage the safety. Yes you must pull back the bolt but that does not engage the safety. When you depress the loading ramp that automatically engages the safety.. Why not check this for me...

I guess there is a lesson about talking about something you just read off the internet, but I will be damned if I can put my finger on it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    DD What the heck are you doing to me.. So I try to come off smart in front of the IGRART Vice President.. I tell him what you said about pulling back the bolt engages the Safety.. But I left your name out of it and try to sound like I know what I am doing, and he gives me a tongue lashing to beat the band.. The Bolt does not engage the safety. Yes you must pull back the bolt but that does not engage the safety. When you depress the loading ramp that automatically engages the safety.. Why not check this for me...

I guess there is a lesson about talking about something you just read off the internet, but I will be damned if I can put my finger on it.

Okay, I have my rifle out. Bolt is forward (uncocked). I can manually work the safety on and off. I cannot depress the loading gate, so it has no effect whatsoever on the safety. If I cock the bolt to the rear, the safety remains in the off position and depressing the loading gate does indeed set the safety to "on". So I was mistaken and Ignatz, or whomever you talked to is correct. Mea culpa. Did you ask Ignatz if there is an aftermarket "second safety" available for these rifles? I liked the one on my 1903 so much I thought I'd try and find one for this rifle too. :p

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Okay, I have my rifle out. Bolt is forward (uncocked). I can manually work the safety on and off. I cannot depress the loading gate, so it has no effect whatsoever on the safety. If I cock the bolt to the rear, the safety remains in the off position and depressing the loading gate does indeed set the safety to "on". So I was mistaken and Ignatz, or whomever you talked to is correct. Mea culpa. Did you ask Ignatz if there is an aftermarket "second safety" available for these rifles? I liked the one on my 1903 so much I thought I'd try and find one for this rifle too. :p

You and those darn safeties...

Its IGRART not IGNATZ and its not a who it is a crack group of Firearms and Fishing experts in Indianapolis area.. And they do not tolerate mistakes. Oh Well let us know about the next gun you get, maybe I can wow them with those details.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You and those darn safeties...

Its IGRART not IGNATZ and its not a who it is a crack group of Firearms and Fishing experts in Indianapolis area.. And they do not tolerate mistakes. Oh Well let us know about the next gun you get, maybe I can wow them with those details.
    While technically incorrect, the end result is the same, because under normal circumstances, you wouldn't load it until you were ready to fire it, so one could argue that the bolt did indeed need to be activated (which allowed the loading gate to be enabled) to set the safety. I maintain that it is the actuation of the bolt that gets the whole ball rolling to set the safety to "on". It's like a Rube Goldberg kinda thing. I withdraw my culpa. :):

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    While technically incorrect, the end result is the same, because under normal circumstances, you wouldn't load it until you were ready to fire it, so one could argue that the bolt did indeed need to be activated (which allowed the loading gate to be enabled) to set the safety. I maintain that it is the actuation of the bolt that gets the whole ball rolling to set the safety to "on". It's like a Rube Goldberg kinda thing. I withdraw my culpa. :):

Well heck with that logic, we could say the fine folks who made the ammo really got things going...

But I digress.. The cocking of the bold has nothing to do with the safety, you could keep charging that bolt and pulling the trigger until the spring broke and you would never set the safety.. Looks like I am going to have to copy off someone else paper from now on.. culpa cabana

Last edited:
    Top Bottom