• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    To me, the most important feature of a safe is keeping the Mrs from finding all the impulse buys I haven't told her about yet.

1. You have no idea how that is on target and on-point! :lmfao:

2. I do ended up confessing everything, but not until I've sold something else. :)

3. Just last night after she got the Visa bill where she said there was $2000 of gun-related stuff, there was a discussion.
    4. I don't even remember that much, although there is a 3rd gun I can't seem to remember at the moment. :dunno:
    4. After checking there were 4 guns on last months card, not the 3 that I thought: I am out of control. :wallbash: (and I have 2 deals I'm working on now)

Last edited:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Wife bought the same one for me a few years back. It is rated at 1400* for 30 minutes. Good safe. It’s is bolted and hidden. You’d never know where it was unless you had time to search thoroughly or I told you. All of our documents go into a different higher rated smaller safe somewhere else in the house.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Wife bought the same one for me a few years back. It is rated at 1400* for 30 minutes. Good safe. It’s is bolted and hidden. You’d never know where it was unless you had time to search thoroughly or I told you. All of our documents go into a different higher rated smaller safe somewhere else in the house.

1. Thanks for sharing: I was getting nothing but grief for my inappropriate purchase (which is being delivered tonight). :ugh:
    2. I was not deterred, though: but I did go back and do research trying to find the exact same safe for cheaper, but: I'm good.
    3. I wouldn't think that a safe would be worth any less used than new and I was willing to save taxes if that is all it was. Not literally, but I certainly wasn't going to pay taxes and shipping for the same model.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    1. Thanks for sharing: I was getting nothing but grief for my inappropriate purchase (which is being delivered tonight). :ugh:

It's not "inappropriate", it's fine for what it is. You just seemed to say you didn't want X...then bought X thinking it was Y.

I'd still recommend bolting it down.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It's not "inappropriate", it's fine for what it is. You just seemed to say you didn't want X...then bought X thinking it was Y.

I'd still recommend bolting it down.

1. Good point. In my mind I didn't buy the X (Cabela $200), I bought the Y hoping it was a Z. :laugh:
    2. Always my dream to get more than what I paid for, but, it sounds like I got what I paid for. :dunno:
    3. My first safe. I talked to my best friend and his was a $1000 safe: a Liberty. (paid $850 b/c he deals well). (correction: saved $150: paid $850).

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    rws7yUk.jpg
    jY9KgqB.jpg

uEUwAr2.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    ...wont be long before you outgrow that one...
    :cool:

1. Oh, please NO! :wallbash:
    2. Forget the wife, even I don't want to hear that! :ugh:
    3. I really want to trim to the "basics" and anything else not be a keeper (just something for short-term pleasure), unless it is an upgrade and I sell the original.
    4. Like getting SS (or nickel, or Aluminum alloy) for my tip-up barrel addiction (thought trading the Beretta .25 this pm). I have a deal going for a Taurus PT22, but it had to be sent back for trigger/hammer work and probably won't get back for a year. :dunno: The Beretta .32 tip-ups SS (inox) cost more than what I'm willing to pay ($400) though I could have bought one for $300 last fall and lost my chance (I was moving and being disciplined), and I offered $325 for one last month but never heard anything back (after 6 emails: obviously sold and not take ad out)

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Cost depends on exact wants. A real “safe” will have a comma in the number.

A lot of what is adverstised as safes are just Residential Secuirty Containers (RSCs). A lot of people end up with an RSC.

Gun Safe Buyer's Guide - Gun Safe Reviews Guy

The above link is full of useful information.

I'm gonna quote it even though OP has already made a purchase - for all the future people who may come across this.

READ through this link. The information therein is incredibly valuable.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the article, Tactically Fat: quite the education.
    I had read some of that here and there, but knew I wasn't going to spend the $$ necessary, nor had the room to put in the tool chest: loved that practical hide in plain sight approach.
    I'm lucky to even have a corner of a room to put one in and am grateful to have one to keep the teens out.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    In my mind, the problem with the tool chest idea is that thieves would be just as apt to steel tools as guns so that defeats the "hide in plain sight" idea. However, to keep your own kids out, it is probably more secure than many of the locking gun cabinets.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    In my mind, the problem with the tool chest idea is that thieves would be just as apt to steel tools as guns so that defeats the "hide in plain sight" idea. However, to keep your own kids out, it is probably more secure than many of the locking gun cabinets.

My guns in a Ft. Knox safe survived two burglaries. My tools in a locking Craftsman rolling tool chest did not.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    He that same one for years. Bolted to the floor, hidden away someplace special. Holds what I need it to and is much better than the flimsy tin cabinets that can be opened with a can opener or pocket knife. I just wish she’d let me have another one and then proceed to fill it up too.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I really need a YouTube channel, the exact safe the OP bought was a 17 minute job with an RMJ Shrike. It did beat out the Stack-On that we opened like a spaghettios can and a P-38 in 4 minutes. No one would give me and my buddies a Liberty, or Johnson to destroy. Seriously though, we wanted to test out or hawks, and a guy had the Sentinel, and I had an old Stack-On locker, so we tore that **** up. I’m so gonna buy that Nikon DSLR Phylodog posted about and start a YT channel for stupid **** me and my friends do, just because!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Reading all these comments are entertaining and informative.

I get it: I bought a piece of crap. :wallbash:
    In my mind I bought a well-constructed piece of crap b/c all I know is that it is better than the $200 "cabinets" I looked at called gun safes at Cabelas. :dunno:
    If I ever get broken into and they haul it all off, I guess I'll wish I'd bought nothing, b/c I'm never going to buy the $2500 safe, but I still wanted to keep things under lock in case of the "casual" teen snatch and grab.
    They will be disappointed in our old TVs and other electronics: I'm sure they have better where they live. :laugh:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Don’t beat yourself up over if. Like I said earlier, a lot of people have RSCs. Mine is an RSC, but my concern isn’t break-ins. I was more concerned about my nieces/newphes/friend’s children finding something if it was just tucked in a drawer.

It’s more important to know what you bought and the limitations of it. Plan around those limitations as best you can.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Don’t beat yourself up over if. Like I said earlier, a lot of people have RSCs. Mine is an RSC, but my concern isn’t break-ins. I was more concerned about my nieces/newphes/friend’s children finding something if it was just tucked in a drawer.
    :)
    It’s more important to know what you bought and the limitations of it. Plan around those limitations as best you can.

1. I'm still glorying in the fact that I bought a safe, period. Big step for me. :)

Top Bottom