• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Doddg,

You did the best you could with the assets available. It is better to understand the shortcomings of your investment than not to have the investment at all, and it would worse to believe you are safer than you really are.

Know that your security is less than it could be, and start saving for a better opportunity.

I spent over $2k for an RSC. It is a very good American Security RSC, but in the end it is an RSC that is guaranteed to foil an attack for a whopping five (5) minutes. At the time I didn't have the money to get something that was TL-15 or better, TL-30.

Security is done in layers. Keep that in mind. You can buy a simple home security system that will go a LONG way to keeping your valuables and family safe. Reinforced doors and door frames are a step above that. Then you can go to planting bushes with very nasty needles outside of your windows. Some people have even been known to sick the MIL on intruders, although they have run afoul of certain articles of the Geneva Convention.

Had I spent another $1k, give or take, I would have bought another ten (10) minutes of security. Oh my. Had I spent another $1.5k - $2.5k I would have bought another 25 minutes. A good investment certainly but then I would have been approaching the value of my firearms. What would be the point of that?

I would suggest doing more reading and understanding of exactly what the security ratings by Underwriters Laboratories means. Their testing is completely unbiased and done by engineers who know what they're doing. In other words, it isn't sales propaganda. Here are a couple of links: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtbGUbeM860 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qvr3joITSc

Just remember, even at its best, a top of the line safe will only keep a professional attack at bay for an hour.

Regards,

Doug

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Doddg,

You did the best you could with the assets available. It is better to understand the shortcomings of your investment than not to have the investment at all, and it would worse to believe you are safer than you really are.

Know that your security is less than it could be, and start saving for a better opportunity.

I spent over $2k for an RSC. It is a very good American Security RSC, but in the end it is an RSC that is guaranteed to foil an attack for a whopping five (5) minutes. At the time I didn't have the money to get something that was TL-15 or better, TL-30.

Security is done in layers. Keep that in mind. You can buy a simple home security system that will go a LONG way to keeping your valuables and family safe. Reinforced doors and door frames are a step above that. Then you can go to planting bushes with very nasty needles outside of your windows. Some people have even been known to sick the MIL on intruders, although they have run afoul of certain articles of the Geneva Convention.

Had I spent another $1k, give or take, I would have bought another ten (10) minutes of security. Oh my. Had I spent another $1.5k - $2.5k I would have bought another 25 minutes. A good investment certainly but then I would have been approaching the value of my firearms. What would be the point of that?

I would suggest doing more reading and understanding of exactly what the security ratings by Underwriters Laboratories means. Their testing is completely unbiased and done by engineers who know what they're doing. In other words, it isn't sales propaganda. Here are a couple of links: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtbGUbeM860 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qvr3joITSc

Just remember, even at its best, a top of the line safe will only keep a professional attack at bay for an hour.

Regards,

Doug

1. Your observations is exactly why I didn't spend more: there is no end to it.
    2. My old house of 28 yrs. was more inconvenient to access b/c of up on a hill with a decent driveway separating you from the street (and rising water that would cover the road sometimes).
    3. My new house is street level and practically on the sidewalk (hyperbole).
    4. I left my garage door open one night by mistake and it grossed me out: so accessible for anyone just walking by.
    5. And, easy to check the shelves looking as you're walking by.
    6. Fortunately, just crap in the garage, I have a utility bld. locked in the back, where the previous owner kept a 4x4 type fun vehicle.
    7. I'm just proud of myself for not buying the Cabelas "cabinet" safes, and getting a 300# one.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My wife made me clean up and put up things in the safe instead of here and there.
    Got rid of 5 boxes.
    put "expensive" ammo in safe with 22LR on a shelf somewhere else.
    The wife's happy, therefore: I'm happy.

5dgND8c.jpg
    cITI3d7.jpg

wD4X2jl.jpg
    glUM0Ym.jpg

wD4X2jl.jpg

Xterminator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    Terre Haute
    I have a similar safe from rural King during black Friday. It's my first safe and was told by another guy that's it's a good starter. I put it n out building that is heated/cooled. It really works well for my needs. As far as being secure.. internet has plenty of videos on breaking n many different safes. Big key for me is nobody knows you have a safe.

DFacres

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    This sphere
    1. I keep reading about people hauling away the safe.
    2. I figured that anyone professional enough who would want to load up a safe in your driveway and take it would have the tools to get it out of the floor (I'm on concrete) and the studs in the wall, or just get it open inside and carry away all my "cheap" guns.
    3. I figured they would be beating it up and prying with a good tool from my garage inside.

A buddy from our American Legion post was telling me that a friend of his came home to find someone had backed their truck up to the corner of his house, took a sawzall and cut out that section of the house (non-brick), shoved the gun safe into the truck, and off they went. :(

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A buddy from our American Legion post was telling me that a friend of his came home to find someone had backed their truck up to the corner of his house, took a sawzall and cut out that section of the house (non-brick), shoved the gun safe into the truck, and off they went. :(

1. As someone in another lifetime and when younger did a lot of home construction and remodeling I know exactly how easy it is to get into someone’s house with the use of power tools or even just a good crowbar with today’s flimsy construction, especially

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You know how mad a thief would be when he hauled that thing out only to realize it was full of .22's?

*joke

1. That is the funniest thing I have heard all day: well done!
    2. I called my insurance today and all of those kind of dreams are covered, no problem.3. I still feel much better and everything locked up for the casual teenager neighborhood these: I used to have one next-door In my old neighborhood, he’s in prison now.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    You may want to consider removing all of the plastic wrapping and cases.

Remember, the "fire" proof is NOT "heat" proof. The temperature in there can get damn hot in a fire. When it does, plastic will melt and gooify whatever is in it or near it or under it.

Regards,

Doug

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You may want to consider removing all of the plastic wrapping and cases.

Remember, the "fire" proof is NOT "heat" proof. The temperature in there can get damn hot in a fire. When it does, plastic will melt and gooify whatever is in it or near it or under it.

Regards,

Doug

1. Fortunately, there is nothing in there that I have an emotional attachment to except my Colt Mustang .380 since it is 1 of 2 guns I kept when I liquidated in 1990.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Top Bottom