• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    C’mon old man, I wasn’t talking about YOU, I was talking about Serpa owners in general. Since I’m a relative nobody, I thought that professional trainers, and real deal operators that were on P&S would spark a light of hope in the back of their minds. You, I figured I’d just have to bring one to our next lunch so you could see the error of your ways!;)

You will be dragged completely into the 21st century before the turn of the 22nd!

:fogey:........I got your old man.........:oldwise:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I'd like to take a few swings at this dead horse! Get the ALS! I carried it when I was in uniform and now just carry a different model of holster with ALS.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Did you have that heavy duty version, or the consumer edition that most people know as the SERPA?

This
    bh_44h107bk-r-holsters-front.jpg.aspx
    is probably a little more rugged and useful than this
    BH_410500BK_L_Holster_Front.jpg.aspx

We used the one in second picture. I use to travel and certify SORT teams throughout the region and never observed any issues that a lot of users complain but not sure what the decision was other than cost (but our Safariland was already paid for so. Oh wait it's the GOV nevermind!

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    We used the one in second picture. I use to travel and certify SORT teams throughout the region and never observed any issues that a lot of users complain but not sure what the decision was other than cost (but our Safariland was already paid for so. Oh wait it's the GOV nevermind!

the duty version is still garbage.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Yes Church, The full size paddle fits well and all the belt loop assemblies fit too, however, for less than $10 you can find the micro paddle on Amazon, or spend more on E Bay for the same thing:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Safariland...777759?hash=item23958b1e1f:g:FuQAAOSwnw9aN4~o
    The micro paddle fits the smaller holsters like the one I have for my G-43, but, attaches to the full size holster(s) with the three hole system, and is very secure, but easier to get on and off.
    Safariland sells the quick release, different belt loop plates, and both a large and or small paddle assembly, plus, a second locking hood release that you can add for level two security, and a hood to cover that if need be.

Great LEO/MIL customer service reps, included, I think the Safariland system is the holster/retention system of our time, until somebody else brings out something better.
    You all remember when the SERPA was the holster of the moment, same with the FOBUS systems.

Here is" the" man to go to for any LEO/MIL questions or concerns, great customer service and they back their products 100%, if you break one within reason, they will fix and or repair it.

Cox, Roger <Roger.P.Cox@safariland.com>

P.S. Church my friend, AMAZON PRIME is your friend!

Last edited:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    the duty version is still garbage.

Like I said I personally didn't like them but, what I observed in almost 10 years of hard use duty under extreme conditions (I'm guessing I'm one of the few that repelled inverted and crawled through obsticale courses on a monthly basis) is we never had any of the issues that several people complain about. So I can't say as a blanket they are garbage just not the best holster unless they want to commit themselves.

The one issue

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    My experience with the SERPA mirrors that of ECS686, albeit w/o rappelling. I ran one for two years, and the main reason I switched was that our policy changed to allow weapon lights. I now think that Safariland is the better quality manufacturer, but I only had one jam with the SERPA compared to several with the ALS/SLS. During a physical tactics class, a piece of debris partially wedged the button of the SERPA. I was still able to clear, but it was with a LOT more effort than usual. The ALS/SLS is very difficult to disengage when pressed into the floor, other gear, etc. To be fair, I only used the level II SERPA (no hood), and I now have a level III Safariland.

Use what you like, but both systems have worked for me and still work for a couple other members of my department. Unless you want a light, then it’s Safariland all the way unless you want to be forced into a proprietary unit.

Neither holster is anything remotely resembling conceal-friendly.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I used the level 3 for probably my first year as an LEO. Maybe the springs were bad/weak but the hood wouldn't always release reliably.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    It cracks me up all the people who will talk **** about serpa holsters but they will carry other piece of **** holsters,.insert uncle mikes, other nylon brands or fobus here >> _______. Or just throw a loaded gun in a pocket or waistband without a holster. Or carry without a round in the pipe so why even carry if you are afraid of your gun and haven't trained enough to know how to use it. I've seen people on ingo admit to all of it
    I don't carry a serpa anymore for etc however I do have them on a couple plate carriers if I ever am forced to wear a plate carier again. Hopefully not.
    I'm glad all the soldiers who carried them for years in combat didn't die as a result of them. Yeah, I'm not anti serpa as you may have guessed.
    Of you ever take a handgun class I wouldn't show up with one though or you will likely be removed or made to switch and guaranteed to be made fun of the remainder of the class. (No I never did this). I never get that type of trainer anyways. Even James Yeager who I happen to like, doesn't treat students with disrespect like some others do

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ok. My ALS arrived today. I am not seeing much on the positive side for me to make the switch. It is a serious butt pain to use it.

My EDC in the Serpa. No, there are not many that carry a comped 1911 in Gov. but it is my favorite and if you shot it you would know why. Notice the serpa is
    un-shrowded from the ejection port back. This gives me a lot more room to clear the rig clean especially with the comp. The comp is not the only reason as a standard 5'" will have to come up higher to clear as well. Established muscle memory will have to be overcome.
    qeoMikj.jpg

I had to modify the barrel end so it would accept this gun. Again not a deal breaker. But notice how the rig covers all of the gun. That is an issue.
    q7ZQbYW.jpg

I had to relieve the opening on the safari.
    lr13NWp.jpg

The Serpa is so much shorter. To me advantage. Again, resetting existing muscle memory.
    wZVz1Ic.jpg

OK here is the real game changer deal breaker. This angular piece shrouds the release. I have to really work to get to the lever. It is uncomfortable.
    With this when I pull the gun up and out 1/time in 6 that angular piece interferes with the safety and takes it off. Yes it drops the thumb safety. I tried 3 diff. 1911's and about 1 in 6 draws I am pulling the gun out hot. No my thumb is not making contact. I repeated this a hundred times. That trumps any serpa issues I am aware of. Also my trigger finger is in the exact same place as it is with the Serpa. Only diff. is I am not pressing the release with it but it is still right there. I am really disappointed.

jiB9E7p.jpg

I am no dummy. I see everything with clear eyes. I can only assume that a G**** works very well in this rig. Perfect. But it is a seriously flawed design for a 1911.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If it works for you and you've trained with it I wouldn't change for anyone. Last thing you wanna do is have to relearn in a gunfight.
    I've experienced this issue in training classes. I'm so set in my ways I hesitate as im doing it a new way at first, because of coarse you want to do things their way for their class. You dont have to adopt their method once youre back home.
    I practice at home constantly with my draw from concealment and my trigger reset. If someone told me they didn't like my holster I'd tell them to kiss my ass.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If it works for you and you've trained with it I wouldn't change for anyone. Last thing you wanna do is have to relearn in a gunfight.
    I've experienced this issue in training classes. I'm so set in my ways I hesitate as im doing it a new way at first, because of coarse you want to do things their way for their class. You dont have to adopt their method once youre back home.
    I practice at home constantly with my draw from concealment and my trigger reset. If someone told me they didn't like my holster I'd tell them to kiss my ass.

I wanted to see if this was a better retention system. All of the issues I listed are real world. After at least 100 cycles I was still having issues getting my hand tipped forward far enough to work the release. Then the issues with dropping the safety out on the draw and presenting the gun hot before I intended it to be. No mag unloaded with a snap cap in it. It also caught the rig as my draw stroke had to be longer by inches. Even that small height difference was effecting me.
    So this one is headed for the #13 file. As I have already modified the barrel end to clear the comp. (absolutely no effect on function) I am now the proud owner. I will not ask them to take it back. I should have worked it with a 5" standard instead of making the EDC fit right off.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I've used a Serpa for probably 10 years as my daily carry method for my 1911, and loved it. Never had a problem with it. I have a Safariland ALS now, and I love it as well, but the Serpa does have the front of the holster cut down. For a guy with bad shoulders like me, this makes it much easier to both draw, and re-holster with the Serpa. The ALS is just as secure. It's a little more painful on the draw because I have to come up higher, but I can always take my time for the re-holster once the shooting is over... They have a belt loop to lower it, but then it would hang down below your shirt... I may order one and try it anyway. Safariland also has a cool Molle locking system that allows you to move your holster from one place to the next.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've used a Serpa for probably 10 years as my daily carry method for my 1911, and loved it. Never had a problem with it. I have a Safariland ALS now, and I love it as well, but the Serpa does have the front of the holster cut down. For a guy with bad shoulders like me, this makes it much easier to both draw, and re-holster with the Serpa. The ALS is just as secure. It's a little more painful on the draw because I have to come up higher, but I can always take my time for the re-holster once the shooting is over... They have a belt loop to lower it, but then it would hang down below your shirt... I may order one and try it anyway. Safariland also has a cool Molle locking system that allows you to move your holster from one place to the next.

As to the issue with the thumb safety...???
    Can you draw clean and stay off the safety...???

In the 5 clean draws (of 6) I found I was pushing the gun to the rear of the holster and it cleared that top piece cleanly. But 1 in 6 times (:dunno:) it would get into that piece and disengage it. Just way to iffy for me.

Top Bottom