• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    As to the issue with the thumb safety...???
    Can you draw clean and stay off the safety...???

In the 5 clean draws (of 6) I found I was pushing the gun to the rear of the holster and it cleared that top piece cleanly. But 1 in 6 times (:dunno:) it would get into that piece and disengage it. Just way to iffy for me.

I agree. I am definitely not a fan of the Serpa, but if the Safariland is disengaging the safety that is something I would not be comfortable with. I am sure their are some tough hombres who think that is a feature not a problem. :cool:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    As to the issue with the thumb safety...???
    Can you draw clean and stay off the safety...???

In the 5 clean draws (of 6) I found I was pushing the gun to the rear of the holster and it cleared that top piece cleanly. But 1 in 6 times (:dunno:) it would get into that piece and disengage it. Just way to iffy for me.

I have not noticed any issue with the ALS messing with the safety in the draw. I have noticed that the ALS helps prevent the safety from digging into my fat love handles during carry because the nice cut down top I like on the Serpa, doesn't cover the safety. Also, sometimes, I have noticed that with the Serpa, I will look down to see the safety has been clicked off while in the holster. Again, my fat may be to blame here, or the seat belt, but with the weapon in the holster, no finger in the trigger guard, and no hand on the grip safety.... I like the ALS fine, I just like the cut down front of the Serpa too. Picking up my first Glock (Larry Vickers edition 17) Sunday. It's getting a light, so it will go in an ALS.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have not noticed any issue with the ALS messing with the safety in the draw. I have noticed that the ALS helps prevent the safety from digging into my fat love handles during carry because the nice cut down top I like on the Serpa, doesn't cover the safety. Also, sometimes, I have noticed that with the Serpa, I will look down to see the safety has been clicked off while in the holster. Again, my fat may be to blame here, or the seat belt, but with the weapon in the holster, no finger in the trigger guard, and no hand on the grip safety.... I like the ALS fine, I just like the cut down front of the Serpa too. Picking up my first Glock (Larry Vickers edition 17) Sunday. It's getting a light, so it will go in an ALS.

I am looking seriously hard at why this is happening. If I draw with rearward stroke the safety clears but I still struggle with the release due to its position behind the brace. I have a much cleaner/direct draw action from the serpa due to the cut down in the front and not having to get an angle to get the release. Also find the ALS sits higher on my belt.
    This is odd as I can not find any reference of this anywhere or my google-fu is just weak.

Is your safety easy to release. I like mine with just enough resistance that I full well know when engaged/released.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you. With a pistol that long, I'd try something with a low cut front as well as a forward cant, then carry it a bit behind the strong side hip. I don't know of a holster with active retention that would fit that description, though. Well, I do, but it's not being made any longer and I don't know that I could source you one. Shame, I think it'd be ideal for you as it was specifically designed for the 1911 and has a modified version of a thumb break. The "modified" part is it breaks as you lift the pistol, not as you establish your grip, so your thumb is away from the safety. Additionally, the strap goes under the hammer so even if everything possible went wrong and somehow the trigger were to be pulled the hammer hits leather and not the firing pin.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you. With a pistol that long, I'd try something with a low cut front as well as a forward cant, then carry it a bit behind the strong side hip. I don't know of a holster with active retention that would fit that description, though. Well, I do, but it's not being made any longer and I don't know that I could source you one. Shame, I think it'd be ideal for you as it was specifically designed for the 1911 and has a modified version of a thumb break. The "modified" part is it breaks as you lift the pistol, not as you establish your grip, so your thumb is away from the safety. Additionally, the strap goes under the hammer so even if everything possible went wrong and somehow the trigger were to be pulled the hammer hits leather and not the firing pin.

The safety is hitting the holster. It is not my thumb.
    I have tried it with a few 5" as well. Same issue. I guess this one is a no go.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I am looking seriously hard at why this is happening. If I draw with rearward stroke the safety clears but I still struggle with the release due to its position behind the brace. I have a much cleaner/direct draw action from the serpa due to the cut down in the front and not having to get an angle to get the release. Also find the ALS sits higher on my belt.
    This is odd as I can not find any reference of this anywhere or my google-fu is just weak.

Is your safety easy to release. I like mine with just enough resistance that I full well know when engaged/released.

I got my 1911 used from a INGO person. It has enextended safety. Don't know if it's factory or not, but it's pretty easy to disengage. I kinda wish it was a bit stronger. I'm thinking about going to a smaller factory safety to see how that does. At the very least it would cut down on it digging in to my side should I go back to the Serpa. The ALS does seem to ride high, but not having the front cut down makes it seem so. I want to try that belt loop that lowers it, but just spent 3 days driving to Nebraska and back, and notice that if I did that it would hang too low to sit in the car with... The seat belt in my Marauder already give me fits.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I carried a Serpa holster for years, in the Army. During training, shooting competition, security and combat.
    I now carry one as a Deputy Sheriff.
    I have never had an issue with one. You have to trust in your equipment. If you don't, don't carry it, IF you have an option.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    The safety is hitting the holster. It is not my thumb.
    I have tried it with a few 5" as well. Same issue. I guess this one is a no go.
    Can you just remove that guard area from the holster that's interfering with the safety, as in cut that section out? I recently sold one of those for a 1911 that was my buddies and that's what he did. I have zero experience with drawing from a holster using either the factory one or my friend's modified version. Just a thought.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Can you just remove that guard area from the holster that's interfering with the safety, as in cut that section out? I recently sold one of those for a 1911 that was my buddies and that's what he did. I have zero experience with drawing from a holster using either the factory one or my friend's modified version. Just a thought.

That would be the answer. As I have already modified it to clear the comp no big deal. I think that piece is there to stop someone from getting the gun out of the holster. It is a shield.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am going to trim the offending piece off the rig when I get the chance.
    If it works I will set the SIL up with it for his (Built by -CM-) 1911.

Top Bottom