• Paul Gomez

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Here's the video. The article follows. Hope ya'll enjoy.:D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu2Oo393nLk[/ame]

If you look at the gunhandling skills commonly taught, the most time-consuming, the most demanding, manipulation has to be those concerned with fixing a 'double feed'. Solving this problem is sometimes referred to as 'Remedial Action' because it is not resolved by applying 'Immediate Action', or 'Tap, Rack, etc'

The classic process for addressing the 'double feed' consists of Lock, Rip, Work, Tap, Rack, Bang.

First, we Lock the slide to the rear to remove the spring tension of the partially compressed recoil spring attempting to return the slide to its' forward position. Next, we Rip the magazine from the weapon, removing the ammunition source, allowing the slide to return fully forward. We work the slide fully forward and rearward to maximize the likelihood of extracting & ejecting the round/brass from the chamber. This manipulation is generally repeated three times. Having cleared the chamber, we fully insert a fresh magazine into the gun [Tap], Rack the slide to chamber a round from the new mag and shoot as indicated by our reassessment of the problem.

A number of years ago a simplified remedial action drill began to make the rounds. There were several variations being put forth with the common theme of skipping the Lock phase and beginning your remedial action by forcefully ripping the mag from the gun. Some guys were teaching that you pull the mag just enough to allow the slide to close, without removing the mag from the mag well, reinsert the mag and continue shooting. This looked very cool & slick but one problem was that, often enough, the top round in the mag would dislodge and become trapped inside the mag well between the closed slide and the magazine. This prevented the mag from being seated, one round could be fired [assuming that the round in the chamber was, in fact, a live round...not normally the case with a spontaneously occurring double feed] and then caused a new stoppage as the loose round wound up in the path of the slide in some odd position. Another variation had the shooter rip the mag completely out of the gun, which allowed the slide to move forward, then reinserted and firing continued. Again, the huge assumption that the round in the chamber was a good one persisted.

Generally, when you have a 'double feed', what you have is a Failure to Extract. In other words, Gun Went Bang and when the slide began moving rearward the extractor failed to remove the fired brass from the chamber. As the slide begins to return to its fully forward position, it attempts to feed a new round from the magazine. Since the empty brass wasn't pulled out & thrown away, the new round can't make it into the chamber. If all you do is remove the magazine, allowing to slide to close, you haven't actually got a live round into the chamber. You've gotten the slide closed, a piece of fired brass in the chamber and live ammo in the magazine.

The short format Remedial Action that I have settled on consists of Rip, Work, Tap, Rack.

First, we Rip the magazine completely out of the weapon. Next, Work the action fully Twice. When working with live ammo or dummy rounds, the stoppage sorts itself easily. When a double feed occurs unexpectedly, very often the round in the chamber is much more solidly in place and may require more work to remove. Letting the slide slam forward the first time will, hopefully, allow the extractor to snap over the cartridge rim. Pulling the slide all the way to the rear, allowing extraction & ejection, is the next step and it is repeated to maximize the likelihood of successfully clearing the chamber prior to insertion of the new magazine. Mag is seated [tap], Slide is Racked.

One Hand gun work is every bit as vital, if not more so, than two hand gun work. We should strive to be as competent with either hand as we are when utilizing both hands. Just as we work right and left hand drawstroke, we should work left and right hand reloads, Immediate Action [Tap, Rack] and Remedial Action. I've written elsewhere about the need for sights that support one hand slide manipulation [metal sights rigidly mounted to the gun & the front face of the rear sight maintaining a 90-degree relationship to the slide].

Now I'll talk about magazine &/or gun design that supports dealing with Remedial Action. If you look at the magazines originally supplied with the S&W M&P pistols, you will see an example of a magazine baseplate that does support the technique. The wide baseplate provides a lip that you can readily hook on a belt to rip the mag out of the gun.

If you look at a factory Glock mag, this is not the case. There is very little space around the bottom of the grip and the magazine baseplate on a Glock 17 or 19. If you insert a Glock 17 mag into a 19, suddenly you have a lot of real estate to work with. Of course, this increases the footprint of the package and a lot of guys will complain about this. Another option is to remove the thin sidewalls/plastic bevel on the bottom of the grip. This will result in exposing somewhere between ¼ and ½ inch more of the bottom of the magazine, allowing the shooter to hook the lip of the baseplate and rip the mag out of the gun.

Some people have said, “How important is it to be able to clear a double feed one hand only?” Granted, it is a very unlikely situation. For most of us, having to use a firearm defensively is a very unlikely situation. That doesn't mean we should ignore that potentiality. If you set up your gear so that it supports an unlikely, but vitally important should you find yourself in need of it, skillset AND it has no negative impact on your primary skillset, why would you opt to not do so?

In the grand old days, Jeff Cooper opined that a defensive pistol needed to be Reliable, have Sights that you could use at speed, a Trigger that you could manage and a Dehorn job so that the gun was not uncomfortable to handle.

I'd modify that slightly by saying that the sights also must support one hand gun use and the mag/grip interface must also support one hand gun work.

Paul Gomez

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Kirk,

I don't know about you but if I'm carrying a gun, I have a belt on. Of course, there are work arounds if you don't have decent sights and a decent belt but why would you handicap yourself by not setting up your gear to support the task at hand?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I don't know about you but if I'm carrying a gun, I have a belt on.

I think that is optimal but say I'm a out running or hiking along the Cattail Trail and I am wearing my workout shorts and bag instead of my Captain Tactical Pants. I guess I could just run or hike in my CTPs but I don't.

Or, if not running or hiking, if you read the Armed Citizen column in the American Riflemen many of those incidents happen in one's home where one may be in his sleep gear instead of CTPs.

I was taught the inverse, to use a technique not involving the belt first and then hook if you can but that's just me and how I was raised.

So, are you just showing this but how other techniques. Just curious.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I think that is optimal but say I'm a out running or hiking along the Cattail Trail and I am wearing my workout shorts and bag instead of my Captain Tactical Pants. I guess I could just run or hike in my CTPs but I don't.

Or, if not running or hiking, if you read the Armed Citizen column in the American Riflemen many of those incidents happen in one's home where one may be in his sleep gear instead of CTPs.

I was taught the inverse, to use a technique not involving the belt first and then hook if you can but that's just me and how I was raised.

So, are you just showing this but how other techniques. Just curious.

When you say bag, are you talking about a fanny pack?

I'm not making fun if you are!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ummm, yes, some old people still use fanny packs, I mean, you know, ummmm, I know they are not hip and cool like tactical pants and a kydex holster but I still use them when biking or running.:D

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Ummm, yes, some old people still use fanny packs, I mean, you know, ummmm, I know they are not hip and cool like tactical pants and a kydex holster but I still use them when biking or running.:D

Meh. I don't care if it's hip or cool. I've been seriously thinking of getting a pair for when I bike and run.

As much as I hate to say it, I think the fanny pack is the best option.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Meh. I don't care if it's hip or cool. I've been seriously thinking of getting a pair for when I bike and run.

As much as I hate to say it, I think the fanny pack is the best option.

There are some pretty slick "runner specific" belt packs out there.

These aren't your typical early 90's "fanny pack" by any means.

-J-

Paul Gomez

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008

There are a number of ways to manipulate the slide one handed.

Whether you are working the slide off the heel of a shoe [using the front sight, ejection port or rear sight], frictioning it between the thighs or between the calf and shin, something in the environment [table, steering wheel, bad dude's face] or off of the holster or trouser leg or off of your own body, all of these options are less desirable than working the sight off of the belt line.

I say this because only when working off of the belt line with the rear sight does the shooter tend to keep the ejection port clear, be able to continue moving and best maintain the pistol.

Any position that requires you to compromise movement is less ideal than one which does support movement. Working off of the heel, thighs, calf, etc limits mobility.

Working off of a 'behind the hip' holster requires the shooter to move his gun and his arms way from his core/centerline to accomplish the task. This is less desirable from a weapon retention standpoint.

Relying on the friction of pressing the gun into the body such as with the between the legs or between the calf & shin or simply driving the slide down the pant leg can work but will occlude the ejection port. That means it may work for loading the gun but not for addressing stoppages and, most of them, compromise mobility.

And, of course, there is always running the slide off of your forearm, bicep, thigh and face. These can all work. And they are all rather painful. And most people are unwilling to do the work to get the reps.:n00b:

So, yes, there are a number of ways to do it. The simplest, surest way is to set up your gun and your gear to support solving the problem.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I felt sympathy pain once for one of the Boone Co deputies whose backup gun for a class was a Keltec .380. There is no protruberance to hook on anything and the springs are too stiff for friction to work very well. It's better to learn those things in an educational setting, though.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    of these options are less desirable than working the sight off of the belt line.

True, but using if probability is any guide, I will not have on pants, let alone CTPs, if/when I have to fight. That's why I've always used my quad or ribcage, those I likely will have (no guarantee I know).

I felt sympathy pain once for one of the Boone Co deputies whose backup gun for a class was a Keltec .380.

People like little guns, until they have to fight with them.:D

EAGLE115

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    HAMMOND
    I don t think he meant you always had to have a belt on. I think he was trying to say that you should have a rear site set up that will easily catch on something, should you need to work the slide that way.

If you re wearing a fanny pack w/ shorts, can t you catch the site on the strap of the pack?

Good video, Paul , gave me something to think about. Kinda wish you wore a lighter shirt. Kinda hard to see the black gun against the dark blue shirt.

Never thought about having to pull the magazine one handed. Although the reason I didn t buy a certain gun at the Crown Pt. gun show a couple mos. ago was because the magazine wouldn t fall freely from the weapon when the release was pushed. :ar15:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Never thought about having to pull the magazine one handed. Although the reason I didn t buy a certain gun at the Crown Pt. gun show a couple mos. ago was because the magazine wouldn t fall freely from the weapon when the release was pushed.

I was doing a demo in the most recent one-handed class I taught and a mag didn't drop. I tried to get it to fall by hitting my wrist on my leg and letting inertia work for me, but that didn't work either. I used my teeth to remove the mag and continued. It was slow and clumsy, but sometimes that's what it takes.

Paul Gomez

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    I discovered in rhino's class (mentioned above,) that without practice it's difficult to be 100% with a rigid gun belt.

Without practice, it's all difficult. ;)

EAGLE115 said:
    Good video, Paul , gave me something to think about. Kinda wish you wore a lighter shirt. Kinda hard to see the black gun against the dark blue shirt.

Thanks. Yeah,the lighting was kind of bad to show the contrast that I was hoping for. I'll get some pics posted on the GTI FaceBook page to help illustrate the frame mods that I referenced in the clip.

Kirk Freeman said:
    That's why I've always used my quad or ribcage, those I likely will have (no guarantee I know).

Of course, with those keeping the ejection port clear is a bit more challenging.

amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    Paul,
    Any recommendations on sights for the M&P? I really like how the gun feels and shoots [now that I have it stippled] but the stock rear sights are useless for any sort of one-handed manipulations. I have tried running the ejection port off my belt or my heel, but I don't like it. I have Trijicon night sights on my Glock 30, and they're great for one-handed work.

Paul Gomez

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Any recommendations on sights for the M&P?

Nowadays, we have plenty of options for the M&P. When I was working for NASA in 06, there was nothing available for them.

AmeriGlo, Warren, 10-8 and XS all make decent M&P sights. The newer guns from Smith ship with their ledge/wedge rear which is quite adequate for one-hand use.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Dawson Precision has a new rear sight with a big hook on it. If they don't make it for M&P yet, they will soon.

Another option is to have someone machine a ledge into the rear sight you already have.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    oldfish15
    Top Bottom