• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I, KellyinAvon rise in support of this law. Anything opposed by Lonnie Randolph shall be supported by me. Maybe he should quit buying his phones at Burnerphone Emporium and upgrade to something a little more capable, like an i6.

Videotape? Why to break out the Polaroid SX-70.

State Sen. Lonnie M. Randolph said 25 feet is too far for phone cameras to record incidents effectively—potentially impacting Hoosiers’ first amendment rights.

”It’s just a pretense to prevent people from exercising their rights that they have to videotape the conduct of a police officer,” State Sen. Randolph said.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Here's the actual law. There must be a warning by law enforcement.

Ind. Code § 35-44.1-2-14
    A person who knowingly or intentionally approaches within twenty-five (25) feet of a law enforcement officer lawfully engaged in the execution of the law enforcement officer's duties after the law enforcement officer has ordered the person to stop approaching commits unlawful encroachment on an investigation, a Class C misdemeanor.
    "Knowingly and intentionally" appear quite often in Indiana Code. Wandering into a crime scene makes one situationally unaware. Doing it after being told not to is another issue.

I can see why a specific distance was added. Too many times "take appropriate action" means something different to everyone. An "appropriate distance" just as well be in decimal-kilometers. Nobody in this country knows what it means and pulling up the conversion app would interfere with the video. Then it ended up in selfie-mode and I missed the whole thing.

Most cops don't care if you stand there and film. It is when you get physically close and start to interfere, or cross crime scene tape that you are going to have an issue. If you get within arms length of me and refuse to back off, you are going to get knocked on your ass.
    I think 25 feet is even out of your reach :lmfao:

One way to look at this, do you go to people's work and video them? I mean if I was making a new trend chart or cleaning up data for a cost-benefit analysis I wouldn't want someone sticking a phone in my face. Stay a reasonable distance and use the zoom.

Then again, I'm an adult who has a clue.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    "Knowingly and intentionally" appear quite often in Indiana Code. Wandering into a crime scene makes one situationally unaware. Doing it after being told not to is another issue.

I can see why a specific distance was added. Too many times "take appropriate action" means something different to everyone. An "appropriate distance" just as well be in decimal-kilometers. Nobody in this country knows what it means and pulling up the conversion app would interfere with the video. Then it ended up in selfie-mode and I missed the whole thing.

I think 25 feet is even out of your reach :lmfao:

One way to look at this, do you go to people's work and video them? I mean if I was making a new trend chart or cleaning up data for a cost-benefit analysis I wouldn't want someone sticking a phone in my face. Stay a reasonable distance and use the zoom.

Then again, I'm an adult who has a clue.
    This law wasn't written for people that know how to act in public and don't insert themselves into situations that are none of their concern. We've had officers assaulted, evidence taken, and arrestees assaulted by "bystanders" that felt the need to get involved. As long as you don't try to test the law by doing whatever, you will have no problem. And here is a video of a bystander that felt the need to involve himself in an arrest in San Francisco. NSFW.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Most cops don't care if you stand there and film. It is when you get physically close and start to interfere, or cross crime scene tape that you are going to have an issue. If you get within arms length of me and refuse to back off, you are going to get knocked on your ass.
    Do you pull hair and wispier dirtys?

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This law wasn't written for people that know how to act in public and don't insert themselves into situations that are none of their concern. We've had officers assaulted, evidence taken, and arrestees assaulted by "bystanders" that felt the need to get involved. As long as you don't try to test the law by doing whatever, you will have no problem. And here is a video of a bystander that felt the need to involve himself in an arrest in San Francisco. NSFW.

HOLY CRAP!!

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    But what if I just want a hug?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

A couple of questions. Is skin tight jeans official dress code for female officers in that dept.? And is the officer whose body cam that video came from a midget or were they wearing it as a belt buckle?

For you, always.
    But don't you give throat hugs?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    A couple of questions. Is skin tight jeans official dress code for female officers in that dept.? And is the officer whose body cam that video came from a midget or were they wearing it as a belt buckle?

But don't you give throat hugs?
    Not sure on the dress code, but skin tight jeans are pretty common for detectives in "undercover" capacities. And the perspective of the camera depends on where it is mounted. Or the guy was a midget.

Rookie is special, he gets bro hugs.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Not sure on the dress code, but skin tight jeans are pretty common for detectives in "undercover" capacities. And the perspective of the camera depends on where it is mounted. Or the guy was a midget.

Rookie is special, he gets bro hugs.
    Isn't almost everyone a midget from your perspective though?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Everyone wants to drive fast. That is the bottom line.
    It is a money grab is the bottom line. It is unconstitutional which is why they don’t put points on drivers licenses. IF, they allow this the companies should not profit per ticket, they should be paid a flat fee for services and equipment.

I believe NO fines should go to government or private companies as there should be no profit in punishment it should all go to a blind charity distribution system. If the safety of children really is the motivation it should be worth the cost, not a profit center…

Top Bottom