• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I just got an e-mail from columbusareaalert.com and REMC is asking patience, as their after hours call center is located out of state and had been overloaded with calls...

My friend texted me and said she had just heard 4300 without power in Bartholomew county so far.

At the moment, according to my tuned "looking out the window-meter" and radar, we're in the clear for a bit, but wind is supposed to shift and the storm will be spiralling around...

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I'm kicking myself for not having bought a generator.

My in-laws have been saying forever that they were going to give us their big generator because they wanted to buy a quieter one... so we kept not buying one and they kept not giving one.

I have a propane heater and firewood, so we won't freeze. Our son is on a feeding pump, so we might have to take him somewhere to plug in. Luckily they just built an ER across the street from us. In a real emergency we could gravity drip it.

My big concern is a very big investment I have in a large reef aquarium. I really don't want everything to die. Many of my corals have grown quite large... not replaceable with my income.

Woulda coulda shoulda

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Well Columbus appears to be clear. When I went to bed a little after midnight, the wind was picking up, but the temp was 34+. Woke up this morning to a dry parking lot, an ice-free Blazer, and some vicious wind and low temps, but it was windy and warm enough for a bit last night to melt and dry most roads and vehicles it appears.

Glad it wasn't as bad as they predicted!

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I had no problems getting to work from the westside of Indy to the northwestside. I-465 was slushy, but not slick really. I was able to drive 40-50 mph. I was in the Jeep, but no one else appeared to have any trouble either. No one else showed up in the shop so.... just working on a little government work.:D

The wind really kicked up here in Indy around 1:00am. Luckly I had no damage, or power outages.:yesway:

So... I have a new propane heater, and plenty of fuel for the next "big one".:yesway:

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I would like to thank the Ice Armor I aquired yesterday for saving my car from an Ice Attack last night.

I had a bunch of small craters on the roof of my car where ice had fallen from the trees, it never broke through the layer of Molecule Reinforced Hardened Water that was built up on top, so I expect no new dents in my roof (hail got it a while ago). Woot for the power of frozen water to defend against more frozen water! Also took down half a tree, saw that on my way in to work this morning. Roads were all pretty good, traffice was driving way to slow but other than that nice drive it. Yesterday was better, no traffic, and my trip home at 5PM was even better.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    My teepee has shed the snow off the walls perfectly, though its a bit breezy, but I do have 'nuff buffalo chips on hand to stay warm when the temperature drops tonite. Wasn't able to get to the store to stock up on bread but chewing on some dog jerky right now....kids just love it

ThePhantom86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2010
    Columbus
    My family had to bug out. The generator did it's job and did it well but with only a single 2 gallon gas can we only travel so much back and forth between the gas station. Our space heater can only do so much as well. The power has been out since 5:30 yesterday.

But it's part of learning and we are making a list. We are with family in Seymour but will make it back to the house later tonight and stay in a hotel if need be.

Top Bottom