• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Your examples (jobs where you don't come in contact with people) don't DIRECTLY affect the health and safety of people. And apparently you don't believe in early release for good behavior, etc. where one gets paroled and has restrictions? I don't see the restrictions placed on ex-cons as government interference.

I'll have to disagree, while it may not be on a personal interaction level, it can be a direct threat to the health and safety of people. Someone takes a crap in a 2000lb tub of meat trimmings that is destined to be turned into sausage or similar is a direct threat to the health and safety of people. And yes it has happened. If they are caught they could face charges I believe, but after their time is served they can get a job doing the same line of work.

I have no problem with probation/parole. They are still serving their time, albeit in a different manner. What I do have a problem with is govt restrictions on what is supposed to be a free person for what they may have done 10-15-20 yrs or more ago after they have finished their time. A guy gets a felony that at most would get them a year or 2, but still has restrictions by the govt 20 years later? Sorry, if they are a free man, they are a free man.

Having had both raging alcoholics and addicts (crack and meth) in my life, I can say without hesitation that there's not a nickel's worth of difference between the two except that one drug of choice is legal and the others are not. The addiction and the behaviors of those addicted to them are the same.

I can agree with this.

Regardless, I consider an abuse of drugs (legal or illegal) to be more of a threat than someone on the sex offender list w/o knowing any details about how and when he or she went on the list.

I can pretty much agree with this. But that is not what you said earlier. You answered yes to this question, "How about if they are an alcoholic looking for ways to score there next bottle (or being drunk)? What's the difference? Or using various meds with a prescription? Are those better than someone who partakes in an illicit substance for recreation on their time off?" Personally I would rather have a Dr. do surgery on me that may smoke a joint or even a line of coke or two on the weekends when they are off/not on call, than one who is currently on some prescription medications, whether they are using them as directed or abusing them.

But yes, just because someone is on the list doesn't mean they are a threat in any way shape or form. Which is why I mentioned my mom's neighbor up thread.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have no problem with probation/parole. They are still serving their time, albeit in a different manner. What I do have a problem with is govt restrictions on what is supposed to be a free person for what they may have done 10-15-20 yrs or more ago after they have finished their time. A guy gets a felony that at most would get them a year or 2, but still has restrictions by the govt 20 years later? Sorry, if they are a free man, they are a free man.
    Actually, you did say in an earlier post that an ex-con shouldn't be allowed to practice in the profession after release. Now you are saying there should be no limitations. I am confused.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    so you are cool with a rapist being a gynecologist since he served his time?

I'm not cool with a rapist walking the streets, but with the current laws, if people are willing to see him for that it's up to them.

Actually, you did say in an earlier post that an ex-con shouldn't be allowed to practice in the profession after release. Now you are saying there should be no limitations. I am confused.

Actually I didn't say they shouldn't be allowed to practice in the profession after release. I did say "I also believe that if someone does a crime and gets convicted, once they do their time they should be released as free men and be unrestricted by govt interference due to their past misdeeds. At least ones unrelated to their profession." I concede that the govt may have the authority to restrict issuing licenses to people who have been convicted of crimes regarding said license. Same as let's say a habitual traffic offender and their drivers license.

I also noticed you didn't address my point of how those occupations I mentioned can pose a threat to the health and safety of others. I know of a very large pork processing plant that has felons, registered sex offenders, and you can just about name it and they either work there or have worked there. Heck there was a guy that worked there that was caught fornicating with a hogs head, he was fired, then rehired, then fired again for the same. No law against him getting a job at another place that does the same type of work.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm not cool with a rapist walking the streets, but with the current laws, if people are willing to see him for that it's up to them.

Actually I didn't say they shouldn't be allowed to practice in the profession after release. I did say "I also believe that if someone does a crime and gets convicted, once they do their time they should be released as free men and be unrestricted by govt interference due to their past misdeeds. At least ones unrelated to their profession." I concede that the govt may have the authority to restrict issuing licenses to people who have been convicted of crimes regarding said license. Same as let's say a habitual traffic offender and their drivers license.

I also noticed you didn't address my point of how those occupations I mentioned can pose a threat to the health and safety of others. I know of a very large pork processing plant that has felons, registered sex offenders, and you can just about name it and they either work there or have worked there. Heck there was a guy that worked there that was caught fornicating with a hogs head, he was fired, then rehired, then fired again for the same. No law against him getting a job at another place that does the same type of work.
    Actually I did respond to the jobs you mentioned. They have NO DIRECT impact upon the safety and health of individuals. Recidivism is a real problem and another reason for not allowing folks to have certain licenses and jobs. https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=5642

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Actually I did respond to the jobs you mentioned. They have NO DIRECT impact upon the safety and health of individuals. Recidivism is a real problem and another reason for not allowing folks to have certain licenses and jobs. https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=5642

You don't believe that someone taking a crap in a 2000lb tub of meat trimming destined to become some form of ground product for human consumption is a direct threat to the safety and health of individuals? As I stated above, no it's not a personal threat, but it is a threat none the less.

And what was your point in that link? That those who have re-offended tend to re-offend again? Or that most re-offences are probation/parole violations or property crimes?

Here is a study done for sex offenders and recidivism, about 5% of those arrested for a sex offense re-offend for another sex related offense within 5 yrs. For a non sex related offense the rate is higher.
    https://www.smart.gov/SOMAPI/sec1/ch5_recidivism.html

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    You don't believe that someone taking a crap in a 2000lb tub of meat trimming destined to become some form of ground product for human consumption is a direct threat to the safety and health of individuals? As I stated above, no it's not a personal threat, but it is a threat none the less.

And what was your point in that link? That those who have re-offended tend to re-offend again? Or that most re-offences are probation/parole violations or property crimes?

Here is a study done for sex offenders and recidivism, about 5% of those arrested for a sex offense re-offend for another sex related offense within 5 yrs. For a non sex related offense the rate is higher.
    https://www.smart.gov/SOMAPI/sec1/ch5_recidivism.html
    Right! I think human waste in food is a very good idea! Where were the government inspectors? Actually you make my point. I don't think ex-cons should be in positions of responsibility, especially when it DIRECTLY affects the health and safety of individuals. But I keep saying that, don't I? I thought I made it clear...yes recidivism is a real problem. I don't think that child molesters are ever reformed. Wow, I don't think that we read the same article (your link). There is so little data of recidivism among sex offenders, that any study is suspect. This is because so few sex offenses are reported and so few arrests are made in sex offense cases.

Top Bottom