• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I once bought a Spyderco ParaMilitary 2 from Brad of Brad's Knives. 15 minutes later, while playing with my new blade, I sliced my finger right open. I cussed twice, right in front of an older gentleman with his 2 grandchildren. By the look of his face, the older gentleman was NOT pleased.

I quickly wrapped my finger in toilet paper in the nasty bathroom of the 1500 Gun and Knife show, and pretty much ran outside to my Jeep to get some bandaids. It was not a very good day....

We always have band aids. Too many customers and Brad cut themselves. :):

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Once I was cutting rope with a box cutter. I had a loop in my hand and was pulling the knife through it and messed up. I've a nice scar along the web of my right hand. Sliced it wide enough open I could move my fingers and watch things move inside my hand. It was pretty cool thinking back actually until shock set in and I almost fainted.

I made fillet-o-finger Monday night doing prep work with a fillet knife. Bandaged fingers are hard to type with.

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Yeah Sure Rhino! I bet you lost another knife fight with your Mom...LOL How have you been my friend? Hope you are surviving the cold weather ok.

OK one of my fails with a knife. I was stationed in Mannhiem Germany working for Uncle Sam. Went to the PX in K-town and bought a brand new Gerber. Well it had the sticky advertising tape on the blade. I got the tape off but it left substantial residue on the blade. So being the enterprising young man I was I grabbed a handkerchief out of my hip pocket and went to rubbing. Needless to say I slipped and cut my index finger to the bone. The handkerchief came in handy as a pressure bandage and I got the bleeding stopped. Bleed stopped - no need to go the infirmary so on to the party. I was sitting on the floor enjoying some of the great German beer when I went to get up and kicked my hand. Well the bleeding started again and it wasn't so easy to stop this time. We finally got it stopped and bandaged it. Went to the infirmary the next day. The doc said why did you wait so long? I didn't think it was that bad. He proceeded to show me the knuckle so I guess it was that bad.

Hopefully we can get together and shoot this summer. Take care!

So . . . a topic to discuss less than brilliant knife-related bahaviors.

Friday night I dropped my ZT0560 between my leg and the arm of a recliner. When I reached to get it, I remembered as the blade was parting the flesh on the end of my ring finger that it was open. Not the smartest move, but it was sharp and didn't hurt much. It took a couple of minutes of pressure to stop the bleeding, then I washed it, more pressure, and then a bandage.

Fast forward to a couple of hours ago. I was changing the bandage and I didn't have tape I could tear as easily, so I was using the same knife to cut strips of tape. The observant among you have already deduced that I sliced the crap out of my middle finger on the same hand while doing so. With. The. Same. Knife.

I'm not that bright.

After you ridicule me, share your own story!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    DOUG! Good to see you, old friend!

Yeah Sure Rhino! I bet you lost another knife fight with your Mom...LOL How have you been my friend? Hope you are surviving the cold weather ok.

OK one of my fails with a knife. I was stationed in Mannhiem Germany working for Uncle Sam. Went to the PX in K-town and bought a brand new Gerber. Well it had the sticky advertising tape on the blade. I got the tape off but it left substantial residue on the blade. So being the enterprising young man I was I grabbed a handkerchief out of my hip pocket and went to rubbing. Needless to say I slipped and cut my index finger to the bone. The handkerchief came in handy as a pressure bandage and I got the bleeding stopped. Bleed stopped - no need to go the infirmary so on to the party. I was sitting on the floor enjoying some of the great German beer when I went to get up and kicked my hand. Well the bleeding started again and it wasn't so easy to stop this time. We finally got it stopped and bandaged it. Went to the infirmary the next day. The doc said why did you wait so long? I didn't think it was that bad. He proceeded to show me the knuckle so I guess it was that bad.

Hopefully we can get together and shoot this summer. Take care!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    We were stationed in Germany, as My father was a combat MP. I remeber we had gone on a holiday for my birthday. We stopped at a mall that spanned the autobahn. It was in switzerland and Mom and Dad had thought it would be cool to buy me a swiss army knife while in switzerland. I remeber being so excited and overwhelmed by all the options that were available. After some time I had decided on which model to get and a nice sheath/case with sharping rod. The first thing Dad said to me was "its sharp, do not cut yourself with it" Damnit it all to hell, I didnt even want to cut myself until he told me not to. Well long story short, I cut myself. Not only did I get yelled at for it, but poor ole dad caught hell from mom too!

Mom's never understand their boys have to grow up, and growing up is pain.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    :rofl:

Wait, that's probably true.

It's true....about every other show a customer will cut themselves, and about every third show I end up cutting/nicking myself. It usually happens when I'm setting up or breaking down....I get in to big of a hurry. A few years ago at the Kokomo show, I dropped a Spyderco knife while packing, and it went straight down, tip first, and it went right through my boot (military field boot) and sock, and pricked the top of my foot enough to draw blood....nothing serious.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's true....about every other show a customer will cut themselves, and about every third show I end up cutting/nicking myself. It usually happens when I'm setting up or breaking down....I get in to big of a hurry. A few years ago at the Kokomo show, I dropped a Spyderco knife while packing, and it went straight down, tip first, and it went right through my boot (military field boot) and sock, and pricked the top of my foot enough to draw blood....nothing serious.

Did you think, maybe sharp objects was not the career for you?
    (joking. You're a great knife salesman, just apparently clumsy).

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Samurai sword salesman = bad career choice for rhino

Come work with me then. No swords.
    Perfectly safe.

20140622_205958_zpsvaxxicrh.jpg

20141110_055159_zps7fmjm3f9.jpg

20141114_140634_zpsgmvjhcj7.jpg

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    oh man. too many to recall :(

the latest, i did something to upset my fiance (go figure) so i decided to make a desert she had been wanting to try. this involved cutting open an apple, and scooping it out (as if making a tiny jack-o-lantern).

i kept in mind the teachings of alton brown - do NOT move the knife, dont put pressure on it, etc. etc. so i didnt - i held the knife still, spinning the apple. well, the paring knife must have just touched the core, so naturally i pushed the knife towards what i had to cut. the blade cut through the core. then the rest of the apple. then the ksin of the apple. then the skin between my thumb and index finger. then about 3/8" of flesh in that same area.

Kaigar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Ft. Wayne
    I've got a couple decent scars from straight up not paying attention. First is on the inside of my left thumb, right across the crease of the joint. Hit the PX one day while I was in AIT and found a SOG Seal Pup Elite, complete with the super tacticool tiger stripe pattern...Obviously, I had to own it so I could be the baddest PFC in the platoon. It came with a crappy nylon sheath, so I figured I'd look online and find something better once I got home, which I did in a nice kydex piece they make for that model. Fast forward to the day I got it and was fiddling around with it. Stuck the knife in, and was tugging on it to get it back out since it was still fresh and rather tight. Eventually, after one last solid tug, the blade slid free, right along my thumb that had gotten in the way. Sliced to the bone, took 2 1/2 hours (45 minutes of which were spent in the waiting room of the ER) to get it to stop bleeding, and 8 stitches.

Few week slater, I was working on some project and needed to grab something out of a backpack I kept my materials and stuff in. So I reached in without thinking or looking, and received a quick reminder across my knuckles that I had stuck a hacksaw in the bag earlier.

Best one I have though, didn't happen to me. My old roomie is really, really big into the Japanese culture, especially the Samurai. So naturally, he owns a few katanas of various quality. One night we were hanging out with a few friends, having a some drinks, and he was trying to show off for this girl he was into by demonstrating his mastery of the art of the sword... Didn't get very far, as he had started the draw without the sheath and damn near sliced almost half his palm off with the thing.

Good times, good times.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I was kneeling and splitting off small slivers of hardwood to put on the grill and my just moments
    before sharpened hatchet sailed right through the wood and stuck in the side of my knee.
    Does that count?

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Great thread!

I spent a decade working in restaurant kitchens and making a mess of my left hand. The good news is that now when I cut my left hand I don't feel much!

Then I worked in trim carpentry working with knives, saws, utility knives, chisels and a bunch of other cool sharp things. Somehow I buried the blade of a utility knife in my thigh at one point, but my signature move was shooting nails through wood and into my fingers (I'm not smart).

The good news is that ever since I quit drinking and started working in accounting I've been losing a LOT less blood.

beehunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    I bought my son a cheap survival knife that came with the usual survival stuff in the handle. I was showing him how the survival gear was stowed in the handle, I stuck my finger into the tube to retrieve the package and promptly jammed the sewing needle about a 1/4 inch under my finger nail. He got a kick out of that.....

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I could talk about a camping trip involving bourbon and a sharp knife.

My dumb friend sliced 4 fingers open on one hand requiring stitches. I never even got to go hiking. I was pissed. Don't play with knives while drinking.

Top Bottom