• ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For those who say stones, what kind?

It would take a long, long, long time to reprofile the edge on a knife made from D2 or CPM S30V with an Arkansas stone!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You forgot to add a bit of skill to your list. Products like the Wicked Edge are for those of us lacking in that area. :):
    Yea, I guess you're right on that one. I've been using the stones for maybe 55 years or more now so what I consider second nature would be considered a skill to others I suppose.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    For those who say stones, what kind?

It would take a long, long, long time to reprofile the edge on a knife made from D2 or CPM S30V with an Arkansas stone!

Arkansas stones. And yes, doing an actual reprofile takes a good long time. And SR101 has proven to be no picnic. At least for me.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Arkansas stones. And yes, doing an actual reprofile takes a good long time. And SR101 has proven to be no picnic. At least for me.

For the last 20 years or so, I only use Arkansas stones on high carbon steel. In my experience, they polish the edge too much on most stainless steels to the point where they don't slice as well as I'd like. The exception would be a blade that was intended for push cutting like a chisel or wood carving knife.

When I used to use them exclusively years ago, I got some truly wicked edges on some older knives. I had a balisong that was made in the Philippines from an old file. I also had an old hard, black Arkansas stone that was originally used to sharpen microtome blades in a hospital lab. Using that stone on that knife was good mojo! That same stone would make my Swiss Army Knives capable of shaving your face without pulling, but then they wouldn't slice for crap in anything fibrous like paper or cardboard.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    For the last 20 years or so, I only use Arkansas stones on high carbon steel. In my experience, they polish the edge too much on most stainless steels to the point where they don't slice as well as I'd like. The exception would be a blade that was intended for push cutting like a chisel or wood carving knife.

When I used to use them exclusively years ago, I got some truly wicked edges on some older knives. I had a balisong that was made in the Philippines from an old file. I also had an old hard, black Arkansas stone that was originally used to sharpen microtome blades in a hospital lab. Using that stone on that knife was good mojo! That same stone would make my Swiss Army Knives capable of shaving your face without pulling, but then they wouldn't slice for crap in anything fibrous like paper or cardboard.

I don't know much about stainless steel. My real knives are all 1095, INFI, SR101, SR77, A2, etc. My only stainless blades are my Kershaws, but they sit in the dresser all the time anyway. Sometimes I don't even know why I bought them, since I only ever used fixed blades for anything.

I like sharpening knives freehand with stones. It may take a while, but to me it's therapeutic. I don't even mind when I buy a new knife and it's dull out of the box (like my Ratmandu). It gives me time to get to know it better.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I use the ceramic sticks likehttp://www.amazon.com/Lansky-4-rod-Crock-Sharpener-LCD5D/dp/B000B8FW0E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343730823&sr=8-1&keywords=ceramic+stick+sharpener

But I do not let my knives get out of shape either. Guys at work use my knife and others warn them of how sharp they are. I have an older lansky set up if I have one that does get out of shake or gets a chip in it.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Well, I got to test drive the Wicked Edge and I must say I'm impressed! It's almost completely idiot proof, doesn't take the skill that free hand requires and makes the Sharpmaker look like junk (watch for it in the classifieds).

The real test will be tonight, I've got a chef's knife with some good sized nicks in it.

Question, what angles do you aim for on kitchen knives and general purpose knives?

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    most your kitchen knives will be either 15 on each side or 20. there is a easy way to tell though. use the sharpie. mark your edge and make a pass or two and then examine the edge. if only the marker high on the edge your angle (the stone) is too low. if the stone removes just the marker on the lower side of edge it's too high. it should remove the marker from the very bottom of the edge to the top or very close to the top of the edge.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My knives have been sharpened on a Sharpmaker for a few years so they are around 30. I'm going to re profile them to either 15 or 20. Which would be best? Will five degrees make that much of a difference?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    My knives have been sharpened on a Sharpmaker for a few years so they are around 30. I'm going to re profile them to either 15 or 20. Which would be best? Will five degrees make that much of a difference?

Actualy it does. 20 degrees makes for a good utility edge, and 15 degrees makes a better slicer but the edge will chip, roll, etc. A bit more easily.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Actualy it does. 20 degrees makes for a good utility edge, and 15 degrees makes a better slicer but the edge will chip, roll, etc. A bit more easily.

It also depends on the quality of the steel. Lesser steel and you are better off with a 30 degree edge, as it will stay reasonably sharp, longer.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It also depends on the quality of the steel. Lesser steel and you are better off with a 30 degree edge, as it will stay reasonably sharp, longer.

Kitchen knives = Henkels four star and Kasumi titanium.
    General purpose = Eskabar (it's not intended to be a defense knife, it's my every day knife)

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I think I should have worded it better. I'm talking per side not inclusive. I'm not talking a 20 degree inclusive edge as most kitchen knives couldn't handle that unless they were m4 or zdp 189. they would dull very quickly.

I would strongly urge you not to take any of your knives down so fine. With the exception of Santoku's and the Le Cordon Bleu line which come in at 17 degrees per side for a 34 degree inclusive angle almost all other companies do 20-22 per side. seriously they might slice good right off the bat but they will dull crazy quick.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Kitchen knives = Henkels four star and Kasumi titanium.
    General purpose = Eskabar (it's not intended to be a defense knife, it's my every day knife)

I think the Eskabar has a 15 degree edge already. I would probably leave it at that. It's doubtful you'll be chopping with it, so the 15 degree edge will probably be fine.

And I have an Eskabar around my neck right now! LOL.

Did you wrap the handle, add scales, or leave it stock? I cordwrapped mine. They're a sweet little knife for the price aren't they?

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It claims to have a fifteen degree edge, but it was more like twenty five. It's twenty now. I cord wrapped mine too.

Top Bottom