• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I have a medium sized knife, Busse TGLB, that I made a leather sheath for with a pouch and ferro rod loop. The pouch is made to hold a small altiods tin, perfect size for this knife sheath.

So far I have a few fish hooks and about twelve feet of fishing line. I also have a small compass, and ESEE arrow head ( Big Thanks to Knife Lady ). I need to add a fire straw, or small piece of fat wood, thanks grunt soldier for sharing that idea.

I'm looking for more ideas, suggestions, what do you have in your knife sheath pouch? Let's see some pics, and I would love to hear how these essentials have worked for you on camping trips or survival classes.

null_zps56869821.jpg

null_zps07cacd3e.jpg

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Are you going to be selling these??

I'm not, I hope to get back at it when my regular job slows down, maybe 2015! :faint:

Nice looking sheath.................In my pouch is a stone for sharpening the knife.

Thats one thing I've considered, most of the time I can just steel the edge on the back of another knife and get it back to shaving. The edge of the sheath makes a decent strop as well.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I like to keep fatwood and fire straws in mine like you mentioned. I also like a heavy duty sewing needle in it. A few water purification tablets. and then for my fishing line. I take it and wrap it in a metal sewing bobbin. they weigh nothing but you can fit a ton of fishing line on it and it spools off to be used for thread or fishing.

That is a very nice sheath sir. You do awesome work brother.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    A few safety pins and maybe a scalpel blade could be really handy in that package.

Ohh! Excellent! I will be adding a few safety pins tonight! Thank you Sir :rockwoot:

I like to keep fatwood and fire straws in mine like you mentioned. I also like a heavy duty sewing needle in it. A few water purification tablets. and then for my fishing line. I take it and wrap it in a metal sewing bobbin. they weigh nothing but you can fit a ton of fishing line on it and it spools off to be used for thread or fishing.

That is a very nice sheath sir. You do awesome work brother.

Thanks for all the great recommendations, I will be adding a large sewing needle tonight too.

If you have time, would you mind posting a few pics of your kit?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    ...small altiods tin, perfect size for this knife sheath.

So far I have a few fish hooks and about twelve feet of fishing line. I also have a small compass, and ESEE arrow head ( Big Thanks to Knife Lady ). I need to add a fire straw, or small piece of fat wood, thanks grunt soldier for sharing that idea.

Water treatment tab(s). Needle and thread (or firewire braided fishing line). Some cash, a couple twenties packs small and is useful in case you are near civilization and find something you need to buy.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Another handy item: some heavy duty aluminum foil, folded into a rectangle small enough for the tin.

Re: needles ... the kind used for sewing and repairing sails is a great choice. You can also magnetize it before you leave the house and it can be your backup compass.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Ohh! Excellent! I will be adding a few safety pins tonight! Thank you Sir :rockwoot:

Thanks for all the great recommendations, I will be adding a large sewing needle tonight too.

If you have time, would you mind posting a few pics of your kit?

Lol which ones. pocket survival kits is like a second hobby for me. I don't have any of the super small tins like you do but I'll post some pictures up when I get home.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Lol which ones. pocket survival kits is like a second hobby for me. I don't have any of the super small tins like you do but I'll post some pictures up when I get home.

Its something my son and I are getting pretty interested in, we really enjoyed seeing your kits at the Chop-In. We would love to see whatever you would like to post, and thank you for taking the time to do so.

Where is the best place to look for water purification tablets and all that kind of stuff?

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    There is a place in Noblesville I pick a lot of my stuff up at but he is closing down now unfortunately. but I dig the MSR water purification tables because they come in individual packets and stay sealed up. so you could throw 4 tablets in the small kit and not have to have anything like a baggie.

If you want to just hit up the local walmart you can buy 2 bottles of tablets for like 6 bucks but then you would need to store them in something like a baggie or pill fob.

I buy a lot of my stuff off amazon due to free shipping and me living in the country.

Amazon.com: MSR Aquatabs Water Purification Tablets: Sports & Outdoors

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm not familiar with the MSR Aquatabs, but if you're buying water purification tabs, get something that used chlorine dioxide as the active ingredient such as the Katadyn Micropur. Chlorine Dioxide is more effective overall than hypochlorite (bleach) or iodine, especially on cryptosporidium. In addition, it has less bad aftertaste, especially compared to iodine tabs.

Here's a selection at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...e+tablets&rh=i:aps,k:chlorine+dioxide+tablets

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Here are some shots of what I didn't have to get out of bags ect. these aren't complete but they have a lot of great ideas in them. I get distracted pretty easy lol so I often move on to the next shiny thing before finishing. The ones in my bags have my water purification tablets and other misc stuff like needles, my fishing kits. I often just make a separate tin strictly for fishing and fire. I like organization and easy access to the stuff inside.

As a basic they should all have a button compass, water purification. fire starting stuff and a little tinder and a way to signal (mirror, whistle, ect. The black bands are bike inter tube tire. it burns like crazy and also helps keep the tin closed up good.

My match cap xl fire kit. pretty awesome whats in this little container. fire straws, cotton, mini bic, the super storm matches that burn for 10 seconds even under water, piece of fat wood, and heavy duty sewing needles with fishing line wrapped around them ect. this is mostly just fire kit that is always with this set up but I think I'm going to take something out and add water purification tablets

I really dig the little tin knives. they are pretty neat for around 25 bucks. You can cut notches into stick and slide it up over the handle. use the 550 cord to tie it up and you have a full handled blade.

Small amounts of duct tape are great also. it can be used for fixing rips to patching up boo boo's. you can wrap it flat around a esee survival card and it takes up very little room.

Here is a very cool video on Tin knives and it's uses by IAwoodsman. he has some awesome videos and really knows his stuff.

[video=youtube;hu-w7iA7CYA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu-w7iA7CYA[/video]

tbone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    gosport area
    i carry a zipo liter it comes in really handy allong with your gun a good knife&a flashlite are good everday carry items,dont leave home without em

Top Bottom