• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I don't know if everyone is aware, but smith and wesson also extended the rebate and added an additional to the shield. So you get a $75 rebate and then 4 free mags and a loader I think. At one point with the rebate factored in you could get the shield the two mags is comes with and 4 more additional for like $200.00 which is just insane! I am not advocating for the shield over the 43 just wanting to make sure everyone is aware.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    i bought a shield and have had issues with it, currently waiting to find free time to take it back to my LGS. When it fires, the slide locks back and stays locked back. i can force the slide forward, but im not going to carry a gun that malfunctions with every magazine. I have shot other shields that ran fine, and liked them. Hence why i purchased mine when the had the crazy rebates. However, after the experience i have had i personally just want to get rid of the gun. I would opt for the g43. Just my .02

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I have a Shield and my fiance has a 43. I like both, I would carry both.

The Shield fits my hand better, while the 43 fits my fiance's smaller hands better. Personal preference like most things, but the 43 felt snappier to me because of this.

Shield is cheaper, 1 more round capacity in standard mags. If it fits you well, go with it. I'm not a brand fanboy, I use what works for me.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I don't know if everyone is aware, but smith and wesson also extended the rebate and added an additional to the shield. So you get a $75 rebate and then 4 free mags and a loader I think. At one point with the rebate factored in you could get the shield the two mags is comes with and 4 more additional for like $200.00 which is just insane! I am not advocating for the shield over the 43 just wanting to make sure everyone is aware.

1. Been looking for the past hour and don't see the above rebate.
    2. I did see 2 mags and a loader.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Have both guns, the Glock 43 goes in my holster and the Shield goes in my son's. However, I'd be comfortable with either. If I didn't have either platform already, I'd buy the Shield for the price they're going for currently.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've been shooting my G43 at the local Steel Challenge match. It shoots eerily similar to my standard carry G19 and competition/night stand G34.

glock212327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I rented a shield and a G43 before I bought. I really didn't care for the way the shield shot it felt top heavy to me. I purchased a G43 shortly after and I am happy with the gun. Shoots well for me.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I rented a shield and a G43 before I bought. I really didn't care for the way the shield shot it felt top heavy to me. I purchased a G43 shortly after and I am happy with the gun. Shoots well for me.
    I'd say this is the consensus for Bout 90% of the people that compare them. Not saying more.people like the shield, I mean people ether like or dislike the shield. There doesn't seem to be any in between
    Except for me, lol. I like both

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Haha, so I am a little different than most it seems. I am a HUGE glock guy. I own every size glock they make in 40 and have conversion barrels for about half of them to shoot them in 9mm. I ended up with the shield in 40 to be uniform on caliber (I care way less about that now). I then got a shield in 9mm and when I am not carrying a glock I am carrying my shield. I have swapped the trigger out to an Apex shoe, and that made the trigger feel more like a glock. I like the feel of the shield better than the 43. Capacity is also better out of the box, but now with aftermarket, that is pretty mute.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Have carried a Shield for the last 3 years and I really like it. Have seen no reason to switch to a G43. Have shot several and see no reason to pay more for one, over the Shield. As mentioned, personal preference either way and either will do fine as a carry gun.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Like many here we have both, wife carries the shield daily and I the 43. I think they both shoot very well for the size, the 43 seems a little smaller. Shield is a better buy right now for sure with the rebates etc, but the 43 shines imo.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Appreciate all the feedback.
    With house-hunting and getting ready for school, I can't really do anything about it right now even though I go over the Classifieds here and on Armslist every evening.
    I think I'll go back to the range and hold/shoot each and even try out the Walther PPS and Nano (don't think they had them), and I'm curious about the Kahr CW9 also.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If I'd have purchased a Kahr CW-9 years ago instead of a CW-40... I'm sure that I'd still have it. Live and learn, I guess.

I'm an advocate for the Shield - especially if you have man-sized hands. The grip, especially with the 8 rd magazine, fills the hand nicely and doesn't let the pinky hang off. Personally, I'm not a fan of grips that don't allow my pinky on them.

HOWEVER - the issue in concealment for most handguns is grip length. The Shield is definitely longer in the grip than the G43 is.

Something else to consider and to further muddy your waters: The Bersa BP Concealed Carry series. https://bersa.eagleimportsinc.com/bersa/firearms/bp-concealed-carry-series Fantastic triggers.

And - if you'd like to wait for it, there's a new gun coming "soon" called the Avidity Arms PD-10 - developed by renowned SD instructor Rob Pincus. (Not supposed to be, but looks mighty similar to a slightly larger Bersa BP) - but has a 10 rd mag capacity.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    As a dyed in the wool "Shield" Guy, who has owned quite a few since they were introduced, I would have to say look at the Walther PPS M2. I know that it sounds weird, but the PPS is the way I would go today.

I have shot the G43 on a few occasions and thought it was a decent pistol, but it did nothing that my Shields did not already do for me. I then had a chance to take a Walther PPS M2 for a weekend test drive and I was blown away. I shot it better and more naturally than the Shields that I have shot for many years. The new PPS fills the hand in a way that just lets it point like you were pointing your finger, and although the trigger was heavier than my modified Shields, it had a very clean break that made POA hits a no brainer.

There you go... A Shield lover recommending a Walther PPS.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    ok here's my 2cents as a gun shop employee I've handled both and I bought a shield!, the trigger pull is better (not by much, but better) the price is lower, and I hate "glock knuckle", the shield feels better in the hand, has a lower price point, and add the rebate (the 75.00 rebate is over, but the new rebate is 2 free mags, and a Caldwell mag loader) add all that together, and the shield is the better buy. never mind the fact that the shield is 75.00 cheaper everyday!

now for my honest opinion, buy a shield pro!, its 75.00 more that a shield(so the price is now the same as a glock 43), but worth every penny!, it has fiber optic sights, a ported barrel, and the best part is the trigger job!, if I were a betting man, I'd say that the pro has an apex trigger kit installed, and that parts kit is 90.00 by itself not installed!, and fyi if you try to install it yourself, be aware that the rear sight has to be removed to install the safety plunger and spring!, and that can be a bugger!, I installed a set of trueglo tfo night sights on my shield, and when the rear sight broke free(I used a sight pusher), it sounded like I cracked my slide! (it was in that tight!) and I almost lost the black plastic disk that stops the spring from rubbing the bottom of the sight!

as for the nano you asked about....NO!....NO!....NO!.....very top heavy!, wants to roll over to the side when I held it!, not comfortable at all!

but I have another saying, don't believe every ones opinion you read on the internet, I swear, if I was giving away free shields to people, some would complain that I wasn't giving away glocks or springfields!

Top Bottom