• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viking Fires

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 11, 2017
    Clarksville
    I have owned the G42 and sold it and purchased the Shield. My nightstand gun is a Glock 19 but I normally carry the Shield day to day. I think they are a great bargain, Everything Concealed Carry in Clarksville usually has new ones for just over $300. If someone offered me a trade I wouldn't take a Glock 43 for my Shield, I like the feel of the Shield better and I like that it has 2 magazine options depending on your desired level of conceal-ability.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have owned the G42 and sold it and purchased the Shield. My nightstand gun is a Glock 19 but I normally carry the Shield day to day. I think they are a great bargain, Everything Concealed Carry in Clarksville usually has new ones for just over $300. If someone offered me a trade I wouldn't take a Glock 43 for my Shield, I like the feel of the Shield better and I like that it has 2 magazine options depending on your desired level of conceal-ability.

1. I am such the newbie (May) with even my little experience, I favor the Shield over the Glock 43, and I have no dog in the fight, no bias at all, I think both brands are great guns.
    2. I, too, liked the feel of the Shield over the Glock 43, which didn't happen until the 2nd rental and the 2nd box of shells put through them.

dtthomps

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2017
    Fishers
    I have both the shield and the 43. I truely believe the 43 is a more solid shooter. The shield comes with a few addtions like steel mags, steel reinforced frame while the 43 does not, but after putting a couple thousand rounds through both I find that the 43 is less "snappy". Now if you have big hands neither gun will probably be snappy, but I for one have smaller hands and it is what it is for me ha ha. The only modification I would do for the 43 is a different trigger shoes (preferably a flat face). The original shoes is ok but after a couple hundred rounds that safety in the trigger really hurts. I have upgraded the shields trigger to the apex, and haven't looked back. just my thoughts.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have never shot a Shield and didn't jump onto the small single stack 9mm bandwagon until the G43 came out. Just this past year have I shot this gun enough to call myself a practiced shooter with the G43.

For those of you with experience on both of these guns, how tough would it be for me to pick up a Shield for the first time and shoot it reasonably well?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have never shot a Shield and didn't jump onto the small single stack 9mm bandwagon until the G43 came out. Just this past year have I shot this gun enough to call myself a practiced shooter with the G43.

For those of you with experience on both of these guns, how tough would it be for me to pick up a Shield for the first time and shoot it reasonably well?

For you, not hard at all. But my guess is that your definition of reasonably well is not the same as other people's. An experienced pistolero such as yourself a few minutes of dry practice and box of ammo you would be on target and ready to roll. I have a Shield laying around if you want to borrow it for a while.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    For you, not hard at all. But my guess is that your definition of reasonably well is not the same as other people's. An experienced pistolero such as yourself a few minutes of dry practice and box of ammo you would be on target and ready to roll. I have a Shield laying around if you want to borrow it for a while.

Thank you sir, but I have enough work to do with my regular carry guns. I just wonder if I had to pick one up off the ground, will you be safe if I have to shoot a head shot over your shoulder?

Maybe we need to think about one of those classes or matches where we trade gear at the start or maybe shoot a warmup string, then trade gear?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thank you sir, but I have enough work to do with my regular carry guns. I just wonder if I had to pick one up off the ground, will you be safe if I have to shoot a head shot over your shoulder?

Maybe we need to think about one of those classes or matches where we trade gear at the start or maybe shoot a warmup string, then trade gear?

As long as you are shooting over my right shoulder. Otherwise the spongey trigger will probably make you shank the shot low and to the left. Best advice is to just shoot the hostage.

Some month I want a bunch of us to squad up and run a whole USPSA match with single stack subcompacts. Or just slide over for NRA Defensive Pistol in a couple of weeks and I will give you a different gun to run. I have both a Shield and Full Size M&P in the safe that I keep as loaners.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

IMO, if you have shot the G43 enough to be comfortable with it, then you've already mastered the more difficult of the two and shooting the Shield should be pretty easy to pick up and shoot.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Both are great...more of a "to each his own" kind of thing. The price is a factor, but when it comes to what fits and feels best personally to the individual, that is probably even more important. For me the G43 just feels better...but I have to give it the .25 cent trigger job first. The stock trigger from box on the G43 isn't as good as the trigger on the shield. I would carry either without worry or concern...but prefer the G43 for feel.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. Wow! Nice to have friends in the gun world.
    2. I wish my best friend still lived here.
    3. He has an array of different guns, mostly rifles for hunting, but a good smattering of handguns, and if he lived here still, it would be fun to trade off guns for the range.

Nitro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2017
    Columbus
    I have the Shield 40 and like it a lot. Yes the trigger is a little weird but they do make replacements. I added some talon rubber grips and it helped a lot to make the pistol not feel like a kid’s toy. I do wish that the handle/grip had a little more girth to it. I have big hands. But overall I like it a lot. Have many friends with the Shields in 9mm and they all love them.

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Agree with Nitro, Shield definitely fits a man's hand better. I have a Glock 43 and a 45 Shield, Glock handles great but the Shield's are easier to grip.

I have the Shield 40 and like it a lot. Yes the trigger is a little weird but they do make replacements. I added some talon rubber grips and it helped a lot to make the pistol not feel like a kid’s toy. I do wish that the handle/grip had a little more girth to it. I have big hands. But overall I like it a lot. Have many friends with the Shields in 9mm and they all love them.

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Lets find a weekend in September to visit the range! I'll bring YOUR old Model 10, and a 45 Shield / Glock 43 / Sig 938 to help you pick a compact.

One other thing to consider, I think the 45 Shield is the best overall value for plastic sub compacts. Recoil is less sharp than a 40, and it comes fully stippled so the grip is much easier to keep grasp of with. Only holds 1 less round (7 vs. 8) than the 9 Shield & about the same general size. I also love shooting 45 so the gun gets shot more often.

1. Wow! Nice to have friends in the gun world.
    2. I wish my best friend still lived here.
    3. He has an array of different guns, mostly rifles for hunting, but a good smattering of handguns, and if he lived here still, it would be fun to trade off guns for the range.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Lets find a weekend in September to visit the range! I'll bring YOUR old Model 10, and a 45 Shield / Glock 43 / Sig 938 to help you pick a compact.

One other thing to consider, I think the 45 Shield is the best overall value for plastic sub compacts. Recoil is less sharp than a 40, and it comes fully stippled so the grip is much easier to keep grasp of with. Only holds 1 less round (7 vs. 8) than the 9 Shield & about the same general size. I also love shooting 45 so the gun gets shot more often.

1. What a great idea: I would love it!
    2. I have been looking at the some Glock and Smiths of .40 and .45 caliber and wondering if I should go that route b/c some are small, and I wondered if they were too big/heavy for pocket carry. I have seen some other .40 calibers that sell for a great price and wondered about them also.
    3. I know the Glock 26 9mm is a double stack I tried out at the range b/c it was small but there was a huge difference in getting it out of my pocket over the other guns I owned or rented that day b/c width really matters in a pocket carry as compared to he Glock 43, Shield 9mm, Ruger LC9, Taurus 709 Slim and Sig 290RS, so I assume the width of a 40 or 45 makes it difficult for a pocket carry if the double stack 9mm was .
    4. Weight, I'm sure is another issue: 20ish oz is heavy in a pocket carry.
    5. I would love to get an under the belt holster to fit in front that I've seen, but I have written a couple of companies but get no response about which size to get, like my DeSanti Superfly sticki pocket holster, it holds any of my guns that I own, but I can't find out from them which one to get that would have a "universal" fit for small 9s and J frames.

6. The Sig 938 you mentioned I think is the one I rented at the range when I rented the Glock 43 and the Shield 9mm, and it was terrible in my hand, the 43 was so/so, but the Shield was awesome, of which I would buy, but they are new for $320 (Cabela), and have been $225 - $250 last summer, but people are selling them for over what they paid, so I live w/o till someone just needs to get their money back. :dunno:
    7. My daughter and family is going to be in town the 15/16th (I have a Goupon for Point Bland to take him there), so that weekend is out.

Twr11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2016
    McCordsvilles
    I am torn on which route to go on purchasing either the M&P shield 9mm or the Glock 43..

At times I think the Glock is the better choice between the two, but it seems like the more reviews I read, it points to the M&P.

Does anyone have recommendations for me?

Thanks

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I am torn on which route to go on purchasing either the M&P shield 9mm or the Glock 43..

At times I think the Glock is the better choice between the two, but it seems like the more reviews I read, it points to the M&P.

Does anyone have recommendations for me?

Thanks

Good post.

"Better" is wholly subjective. For me, it's the Shield because the grip fits my hands better. The G43 is just a tad too small.

HOWEVER - I could adapt to the 43 if I were forced to. Just takes practice.

The Shield is larger all the way around. So if physical size and weight are of utmost importance (As they are to some) - then the 43 may be the better choice.

flyboy727

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Evansville area
    I have both and like both of them.

yes, the Glock is a bit smaller, but the grip feels almost too small. Think I will try out a grip cover for it.

Shield is is hard to beat for the price and you can also buy new magazines on sale for the Shield under $20.

Top Bottom