• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iufan2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    southeast side of indy
    Here is the situation. My uncle is in town from Hawaii, and has had his handgun here in town with me until he could get his permit in Hawaii. He wants to get the firearm back to his house in Hawaii and was thinking about one of two options. A: Can he ship the firearm overnight to his home and have his step daughter sign for it? The only problem I've seen is Fedex will only ship to an FFL. B: Can I ship the firearm to him once he is home? Same situation with fedex though. He doesn't want to deal with checking the firearm in his luggage. If you have ever shipped a firearm like this, please let me know. There is some ammo too but I don't see that being a problem. Thanks for the help

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Here is the situation. My uncle is in town from Hawaii, and has had his handgun here in town with me until he could get his permit in Hawaii. He wants to get the firearm back to his house in Hawaii and was thinking about one of two options. A: Can he ship the firearm overnight to his home and have his step daughter sign for it? The only problem I've seen is Fedex will only ship to an FFL. B: Can I ship the firearm to him once he is home? Same situation with fedex though. He doesn't want to deal with checking the firearm in his luggage. If you have ever shipped a firearm like this, please let me know. There is some ammo too but I don't see that being a problem. Thanks for the help

Why not just put it in his checked baggage? As far as I am aware it is no big deal as long as he is legally allowed to own a gun. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Ammo will have to be shipped seperately though

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    How did your uncle get the gun here? Can't he can get it back to Hawaii the same way? Did he move?

I would have to check again, but you can legally ship a gun to yourself. If shipped the person receiving it and signing for it (if not the owner) can not open the package.

Ammo can go in checked baggage with the gun. The airport security will check to make sure the gun in unloaded and locked. The owner of the gun must retain the key or combination to the lock at all times.

Most carriers won't ship ammo.

Shipping a firearm might be more expensive than buying an approved pistol case and sticking it in your suitcase. And FedEx will probably hassle him just as much as the airport security.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I don't believe we as non-FFL holders can ship a handgun to another non-FFL. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure of this... you can ship to to the manufacturer as a non-FFL, but I don't think you can ship it to another non-FFL. why not just have a local FFL transfer it? by the time you mess with the security hassles, and the cost of the case, you could just about pay for the FFL transfer fees (unless of course your FFL gouges you on the transfer) :dunno:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I don't believe we as non-FFL holders can ship a handgun to another non-FFL. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure of this... you can ship to to the manufacturer as a non-FFL, but I don't think you can ship it to another non-FFL. why not just have a local FFL transfer it? by the time you mess with the security hassles, and the cost of the case, you could just about pay for the FFL transfer fees (unless of course your FFL gouges you on the transfer) :dunno:

hmmmm, but its not going to ANOTHER non FFL, its going to the same non ffl :D

And Fedex WILL ship a gun to a non FFL, they just require you tell the driver picking it up there is a gun inside the package. When i sent my M&P in for work, they sent it back to me Fedex ... this is my experience shipping guns.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    This is from the ATF website:

ATF said:
    Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    ...for an overnight to hawaii, he should just buy a new gun.

Btw, flying a firearm is no big deal, and much cheaper than shipping one overnight.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I talked to the Post master at my local U.S.P.S. office.
    You can ship parts of a firearm. If it can not be fired or assembled in route and fired.
    Break the weapon down in 2 of 3 pieces and ship separately.
    You do not need to declare it.
    Get delivery conformation.

iufan2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    southeast side of indy
    He had purchased the firearm while living here in Indiana. He moved to Hawaii 2 years ago and left the firearm here at my grandparents. He now has his permit in hawaii and wants to take it back home. From what I've read, it will probably be easiest for him to just check gun in his bag with the locked case. I know you can take ammo too if it is locked like the handgun.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Re:ammo
    Just leave it in the retail box and put it in the same case as the pistol. Check with the airline for limitations. The TSA website has an entire page devoted to transporting firearms.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    I talked to the Post master at my local U.S.P.S. office.
    You can ship parts of a firearm. If it can not be fired or assembled in route and fired.
    Break the weapon down in 2 of 3 pieces and ship separately.
    You do not need to declare it.
    Get delivery conformation.

Spike,

What the PO told you is mostly correct. You can ship handgun parts via US mail. HOWEVER, as a non-FFL you CANNOT ship the receiver (the part with the serial number on it) -- doing so would violate federal law...:twocents:

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss

You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.

Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...

Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Check it in the luggage. It's going to cost him probably AT LEAST $75 to ship it back overnight. Flying with handguns is quite simple. PM me if you need specific instructions.

tlkidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    New Haven
    You have to be careful about transporting firearms in checked bags. some states and cities have their own regs about transporting firearms and have confiscated the firearm and arrested the owner. Happens mostly on the east coast but you need to know the rules for any city you may layover in.

Top Bottom