• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    It appears that I've finally realized that I'm at my meager limit when it has come to cleaning my 100% aluminum rimfire suppressor.

I've been in contact with the manufacturer in order to send it in for their professional disassembly and cleaning.

I PRESUME that if I were to ship it I'd probably need to ship it overnight due to the carrier's rules on such things?

Should I ask for a copy of their FFL?

Can another FFL-holder ship it via USPS?

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Priority Mail is probably the easiest, and cheapest. You would need to ship it, FFL would not ship it, as it is in your name, and can not transfer to the FFL without ATF approval. The FFL could work on it, but not ship.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    It appears that I've finally realized that I'm at my meager limit when it has come to cleaning my 100% aluminum rimfire suppressor.

I've been in contact with the manufacturer in order to send it in for their professional disassembly and cleaning.

I PRESUME that if I were to ship it I'd probably need to ship it overnight due to the carrier's rules on such things?

Should I ask for a copy of their FFL?

Can another FFL-holder ship it via USPS?

1. Is it Huntertown?
    2. If yes to 1, do you have any desire to ever see your suppressor again?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Nope. Not a Huntertown.

It's Idahoan by birth.

And I didn't think that I, as an individual, would be allowed to ship a suppressor via USPS/Priority mail? I know that I could ship a long gun, but figured that NFA items would be on the verboten list like Handguns.

With their estimated cleaning fees ... And UPS/FedEx overnight shipping charges... I'm probably going to be almost the cost for a brand new can. Of course, that'd also require another $200...

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Can you not take it apart? I would try some Purple Power (cleaner you can get at Walmart) mixed 50-50 with water in an ultrasonic cleaner. I clean carburetors and so forth with that stuff, and it will not damage aluminum. It does a great job getting really nasty gummy gasoline cleaned off. Heck, you may not need to take it apart, and if you can't get it apart, doing this may allow you to get it apart.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    USPS is totally fine, perfectly legal. Ask gemtech they will tell you the same.

Thank you, sir!

Can you not take it apart? I would try some Purple Power (cleaner you can get at Walmart) mixed 50-50 with water in an ultrasonic cleaner. I clean carburetors and so forth with that stuff, and it will not damage aluminum. It does a great job getting really nasty gummy gasoline cleaned off. Heck, you may not need to take it apart, and if you can't get it apart, doing this may allow you to get it apart.

No, I cannot get it apart. End caps are off - but baffle stack is stuck. I can't break either "lead ring" on either end to get the baffles to fall out. If I could do that then I'd be golden. Or aluminum'd. Whatever.

But Purple Power, chemically, won't help with dissolving some of the lead so I can get the baffle stack out.

My aluminum rimfire cans I just Soda blast and they look like new. I just rigged up a air nozzle and a piece of plastic line that I drop in a box of baking Soda and spray it till the lead and carbon blow off.

If I had access to something like that, I may be able to blast the "lead ring" out of one side and get the baffles out. But I have no way to do any of that.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

You don't want to put an aluminum suppressor in an ultrasonic

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    If I had access to something like that, I may be able to blast the "lead ring" out of one side and get the baffles out. But I have no way to do any of that.[/QUOTE]
    Don't know where your located, but if your near me your welcome to use my soda setup and try.

Top Bottom