• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I wonder (1)if there's any legitimate effort to look at the pharmaceutical history of these shooters and (2)if the results would ever be honestly reported? Have you ever read the side effects or listened to the commercials when they list them? It's no wonder school shootings are off the chart!

It's certainly worth studying...

...but without some good science, blaming psychotic behavior on some of these medications is kinda like blaming aspirin for a headache. Who takes the meds to begin with? Chicken and egg issue.

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    It's certainly worth studying...

...but without some good science, blaming psychotic behavior on some pf these medications is kinda like blaming aspirin for a headache. Who takes the meds to begin with? Chicken and egg issue.
    Maybe. Maybe not. When I was working afternoons we would go on runs constantly that involved juveniles. I heard on-stop form parent after parent that their kid was on medications for being ADHD and bipolar. This was daily, if not multiple times a day. It makes me wonder how many kids are being medicated for nothing more than being annoying to their parent, or more likely, being a little out of control due to no real parenting at all (in many of those homes it was quickly apparent that the kid wasn't the real issue). I'm guessing the numbers are up there.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I'll keep it short. I have a medicated child, it was with a heavy heart and much consideration that we chose to medicate. From the outside looking in I would say that not many people would be able to see our daily struggles and reasons we chose to medicate. After struggling with my son I have a whole new perspective on parents with out of control kids...never again will I judge until I've walked in their shoes. Unfortunately we have tried every discipline technique without getting anywhere. Now we have been trying medicine for the last year and a half and still little to no headway. Medication is no magic pill and finding something that works is a lot harder than I ever anticipated.

Do I think there are children out there on meds that shouldn't be, hell yes. Also I believe there is an increasing trend of ADHD, aspergers, & autisim trends that is not easily explained.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I wonder (1)if there's any legitimate effort to look at the pharmaceutical history of these shooters and (2)if the results would ever be honestly reported? Have you ever read the side effects or listened to the commercials when they list them? It's no wonder school shootings are off the chart!

Many people that are prescribed psychotropic meds are already experiencing many of those items listed as side effects as symptoms which is why they are being treated in the first place. And suddenly going off of those meds against medical advice tends to make those symptoms reappear and often with great intensity. There is a reason people are prescribed psychotropic meds in the first place. If you want to complain about such meds being over prescribed by GPs who just hand out prescriptions and don't follow up appropriately that is one thing but blindly blaming medications is really no different than the antis blaming firearms.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Adderall is the most popular of scores of drugs for this.

Side effects: Nervousness Restlessness, Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep, Uncontrollable shaking of a part of the body, Headache, Changes in sex drive or ability, Dry mouth, Stomach pain, Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Constipation, Loss of appetite, Weight loss, Fast or pounding heartbeat, Shortness of breath, Chest pain, Excessive tiredness, Slow or difficult speech, Dizziness or faintness, Weakness or numbness of an arm or leg, Seizures, Motor tics or verbal tics, Believing things that are not true, Feeling unusually suspicious of others, Hallucinating (seeing things or hearing voices that do not exist), Mania (frenzied or abnormally excited mood), Aggressive or hostile behavior, Changes in vision or blurred vision, Fever, Blistering or peeling skin, Rash, Hives, Itching, Swelling of the eyes, face, tongue, or throat, Difficulty breathing or swallowing, Hoarseness.

I would not teach anyone on these meds how to shoot. Get off them or go away. The pharmaceutical companies produced 211 tons of this one drug in 2013, according to the DEA 11 million prescriptions per year. If those red side effects only occur in .02% of the users that's 2,200 per year. Maybe it's surprising things aren't worse.

Last edited:

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Adderall is the most popular of scores of drugs for this.

Side effects: Nervousness Restlessness, Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep, Uncontrollable shaking of a part of the body, Headache, Changes in sex drive or ability, Dry mouth, Stomach pain, Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Constipation, Loss of appetite, Weight loss, Fast or pounding heartbeat, Shortness of breath, Chest pain, Excessive tiredness, Slow or difficult speech, Dizziness or faintness, Weakness or numbness of an arm or leg, Seizures, Motor tics or verbal tics, Believing things that are not true, Feeling unusually suspicious of others, Hallucinating (seeing things or hearing voices that do not exist), Mania (frenzied or abnormally excited mood), Aggressive or hostile behavior, Changes in vision or blurred vision, Fever, Blistering or peeling skin, Rash, Hives, Itching, Swelling of the eyes, face, tongue, or throat, Difficulty breathing or swallowing, Hoarseness.

I would not teach anyone on these meds how to shoot. Get off them or go away. The pharmaceutical companies produced 211 tons of this one drug in 2013, according to the DEA 11 million prescriptions per year. If those red side effects only occur in .02% of the users that's 220,000 per year. Maybe it's surprising things aren't worse.

I know you're just throwing #'s out there but .02% is 2,200.

If the prescribing doctor is doing their job and these side affects start to occur then the individual should be pulled off the med. I'm sure there are time this doesn't happen though.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    So, any speculation about how the MSM will spin this? One shooter with a handgun who shoots two other students (injured male who is stable and female with critical injuries) and is neutralized by armed SRO. No BBBR (big bad black rifle) to focus on. No lax gun laws. Maryland has some of the more strict laws. I know they have mag caps. Do you they have California/New York-esque AR laws? Will it be the strict gun laws kept this from being worse? Maybe a nod toward arming SROs? Just curious, with the way the media seems to jump on these horrific events, what you all think will be the anit skew?

JLJK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Carmel
    So, any speculation about how the MSM will spin this? One shooter with a handgun who shoots two other students (injured male who is stable and female with critical injuries) and is neutralized by armed SRO. No BBBR (big bad black rifle) to focus on. No lax gun laws. Maryland has some of the more strict laws. I know they have mag caps. Do you they have California/New York-esque AR laws? Will it be the strict gun laws kept this from being worse? Maybe a nod toward arming SROs? Just curious, with the way the media seems to jump on these horrific events, what you all think will be the anit skew?

It doesn’t matter what the laws are. THE GUN could have killed people. THE GUN is responsible for this. We need to outlaw ALL GUNS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

They will ignore what they don't like or would hurt their agenda. It will still be the guns fault, the harsh gun laws will have helped "save the day" because those other more deadly weapons are illegal, but it goes to show that the gun laws are still not tough enough because guns are still in the schools and only a total ban will help.

Something along those lines.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield

If the prescribing doctor is doing their job and these side affects start to occur then the individual should be pulled off the med. I'm sure there are time this doesn't happen though.

My calculator says it is worse, .02% is 4,400 of 220,000. ;)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Many people that are prescribed psychotropic meds are already experiencing many of those items listed as side effects as symptoms which is why they are being treated in the first place. And suddenly going off of those meds against medical advice tends to make those symptoms reappear and often with great intensity. There is a reason people are prescribed psychotropic meds in the first place. If you want to complain about such meds being over prescribed by GPs who just hand out prescriptions and don't follow up appropriately that is one thing but blindly blaming medications is really no different than the antis blaming firearms.

Yes because those drugs have no mind altering affects and no moral agency.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    This is actually the correct number. If you're doing it on a calculator, you'd use 11,000,000 x .0002=2,200
    .02%=.02/100=.0002

My calculator says it is worse, .02% is 4,400 of 220,000. ;)
    11 million prescriptions per year. If those red side effects only occur in .02% of the users that's 220,000 per year. Maybe it's surprising things aren't worse.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

Police in Maryland have identified the gunman who shot two people at Great Mills High School Tuesday morning as 17-year-old Austin Wyatt Rollins. He was shot by a school resource officer around 7:45 a.m. and died later, authorities said.

Two teens were injured — a 16-year-old girl who remained in critical condition at a hospital, and a 14-year-old boy who was reported to be in stable condition. Both were shot with a Glock semi-automatic handgun in the hallway of the school, according to investigators.

Rollins may have had a previous relationship with the female victim, Cameron told reporters. Investigators are still trying to pin down what caused the teen to open fire in the hallway of the school. It’s unknown if Rollins had a connection with the 14-year-old.

A senior at Great Mills High School, Rollins was an honor roll student.

Top Bottom