• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Just read that MCCSC locked down Bloomington North HS because of this incident. I guess they don't realize that a middle school student that is already in police custody wouldn't be able to shoot anyone there from twenty miles away.

The middle school student who is in custody won't, but the accomplice with whom he's working, if any, or the actual shooter, if they have the wrong person, still will. I understand this, but I don't like it any more than 88GT. At some point, we have to admit that we are unable to protect our children at all times and from all directions, and that moment truly sucks, because we then have to weigh liberty as a whole against their precious lives.

Our Founders had to make such choices. They took the long view of liberty and placed the correct value on posterity as a whole over that of the children of their own loins. I do not envy the parents in that position and don't know that when my own daughter was young that I could have made the same choice. I do not for an instant question that it is the right choice... only my own ability to make it. In regard to her, I will freely admit that I am selfish.

My prayers are with the victim and family. May the shooter also get what's coming to him.

Blessings,
    Bill

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I agree with your logic and I understand that at the time the school officials probably didn't have all of that information available to them. Having a spouse that is a HS counselor and seeing some of the policies and procedures that are in place for this type of situation causes me to be a bit cynical at times. Like I need a reason.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    "No word when students will be released to the parents."

I understand the need to secure the location and keep it organized. I really do. But damn it, I despise the idea that the school has the authority to hold students until they deem it safe. Safe is in my custody under my supervision. I'm glad I won't have to deal with that.

I hope the victim is okay. Any word yet on who it was? Student, staff?

If it happened at my kids' school I'd be climbing the walls. What is the alternative? The school can let parents rush in an get the kids; I suspect this would cause more problems. As others have stated, the situation is foggy. I would hate for the "all clear" to be given and still have another whack job running around.

ADT knights

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Hendricks County
    All because of a fight at a school dance over a girl. Some rumors say that the kid openly spoke about shooting the other kid and nothing was done to prevent it. Somebody could be in a lot of trouble if that is true.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Here's what I have. I live 2 blocks from West Middle School, where this happened.

I have a friend who is the parent of children at both East Middle School and the High School. This friend read me the FB page posts from the suspected shooter while we were on the phone. According to what I have been told, there was a clear and eminent danger this morning. He had one post that says something like, "Don't think with the mind, think with the nine."

From what I gather, this started at a school dance a few days ago and the suspect shooter (SS) got into a fight with another student. The SS was also suspended a couple of days ago too. (Related case? I don't know)

My friend received a communication from her daughter that fighting has broken out at the HS and because of that, there is a Level 2 lockdown. According to what I have been told, knives were pulled at the HS too.

Armed teachers wouldn't have made a bit of a difference here folks. I can't believe someone actually suggested that. SERIOUSLY??? Armed teachers shooting our kids is not the answer! Parents who do not keep a closer eye on their kids maybe? Responsible kids reporting eminent threats maybe?

Fact remains, the SS posted threats and even when he planned on exacting his wrath and nobody reported it. It happened outside the cafeteria before school. It appears to be a single incident between two students.

We need to be praying for all concerned folks.

Last edited:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Just read that MCCSC locked down Bloomington North HS because of this incident. I guess they don't realize that a middle school student that is already in police custody wouldn't be able to shoot anyone there from twenty miles away.

Fighting broke out at the High School. My friend's daughter was injured and from what I was told knives were pulled.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    My Grandson arrived just minutes after the shooting. The boy shot is a good friend of my Grandson and I have known his mother sense she was a little girl. Very sad indeed, this should never happen anywhere. I will be praying for all involved. My Grandson is holding up fine as I talked to him about an hour ago while he was locked down in the school.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Armed teachers wouldn't have made a bit of a difference here folks. I can't believe someone actually suggested that. SERIOUSLY??? Armed teachers shooting our kids is not the answer! Responsible parents who do not keep a closer eye on their kids maybe? Responsible kids reporting eminent threats maybe?

The dumbing down of younger humans has finally reached the bottom, maybe. This is what we get when we destroy neighborhood school education from K-12 and replace it with large corporations, which just so happen to be 99% funded by taxpayer money. We now have some kids living ten miles or more away from their high school, junior high, intermediate school, etc.. All in the name of "cost savings." Well, I really doubt that cost savings.

Now, consolidated area schools aren't the only issue. Another main issue here is just what that teacher wrote in his letter: The parents. Too many parents just don't get it. "I gotta leave my guns out of my safe because my 15 year old 'man' son may need access to defend his mom." Today's 13-18 year old humans are not the same 13-18 year old humans from the Greatest generation era, or even the baby boomer era. They are more closer to children than adults. While each individual kid is different, as a whole, younger humans today seem to be more coddled in school and all the way up until they are in college. Broken families, societal morals, mass media, school district consolidation, they are all taking their tool on America. I'm not sure why folks are surprised events like this are taking place. I only see it getting worse before it gets better.

Yosarian87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    NWI
    from what i've heard two other kids ran distraction while the other went and shot the child. not sure other than that. Still a horrible thing, and hits rather close to home.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I had heard that there was a fight there also. Was it related to the shooting?

I don't think it was directly related. I think it was anxious students freaking out-- testosterone induced teens pulling knives n stuff.

There is A LOT of tension in Martinsville Schools right now. Bullying has gotten way out of hand. I will not state it as fact, but I've seen some FB posts from locals and supposed relations to the victim that suggest the victim was being bullied by the shooter. Please do not quote me on that though.

We had another Middle School teen (a girl) who killed herself last week and a large part of why she did it was from being bullied.

Sad part is, the authorities, school board, school admin, PARENTS of the bullies--all know who is doing what to whom and seemingly are doing nothing about it. The children and families of Martinsville need serious prayer right now.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I didn't see it mentioned here, but Radio now 93.1 had the Highschool Senior Class President on the air this AM. I guess it was announced to the parents onsite that the studend passed away just before 10 AM.

Edit: After reviewing Fox 59's site it looks like the above statment may be false. Indiana School Shooting: Student shoots student at Martinsville West Middle School - fox59.com This was at 1:03PM

I have not seen this on any news stations, just saying what I heard on the Radio. Also it was reported that the Shooter told the pricipal on Wednesday that he was going to shoot a student...

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    WISH TV has a comment by the family of the victim posted at 1:08PM. States the victim is out of surgery and in stable condition.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    So the shooter told the principal on Wednesday that he was going to shoot a student, and nobody thought to have a couple extra cops around, or for some police officer to pick the kid up and ask what was going on?

Like most events of this nature, it looks like it probably could've been prevented. A sad tragedy, this...

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    i have several relatives that attend west middle school. my cousins son reported to his mother that he was hit from the brass of the fired shells. i do not know if this is true or not since all the information is shady right now from people i talk to about it. its a very sad situation, however im very happy the boy will survive and they caught the shooter. and thank god the shooter wasnt just going on a shooting spree and left immediately after..........also, whatever happen to a good old redneck tussle in the backyard???

Top Bottom