• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    Hello everyone, I recently purchased a home on Senour Rd Between Troy and Pentecost Rd. I was informed by an IMPD officer that lives in the area that a while back a bunch of people in my area got together and had this area deemed outside of city limits. This would make it legal for me to shoot recreationally on my property. Thing is through all my searching I cannot find anything to support this. Looking at local ordinances they say that it is unlawful to discharge a firearm within any police special service district. We are in the Southeast IMPD District.

I am really trying to find a concrete answer to this. I've heard what I am assuming is recreation shooting close by before but I feel like it would be my luck that the cops would get called and bad things would ensue if I were shoot on my property. So can anyone give me a concrete answer to this? Thank You!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It's not settled case law, as far as I'm aware. The merger extended the police service district, which used to be roughly inside the 465 loop. IMPD has treated it as remaining inside the 465 loop, at least on southeast and southwest, since the merger. I supposed it's *possible* for a citation to be issued and then the courts would have to figure it out, but as long as you aren't being dangerous, have a good backstop, etc. it's a pretty negligible chance.

7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    It's not settled case law, as far as I'm aware. The merger extended the police service district, which used to be roughly inside the 465 loop. IMPD has treated it as remaining inside the 465 loop, at least on southeast and southwest, since the merger. I supposed it's *possible* for a citation to be issued and then the courts would have to figure it out, but as long as you aren't being dangerous, have a good backstop, etc. it's a pretty negligible chance.
    My worry here would be getting a citation and something happening that would cause me to lose my firearms and/or right to have them.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I know for a fact there is a guy on Troy between Post and Senour (closer to post) that shoots often. He says he has had visits from leo and he is in the clear.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Hello everyone, I recently purchased a home on Senour Rd Between Troy and Pentecost Rd. I was informed by an IMPD officer that lives in the area that a while back a bunch of people in my area got together and had this area deemed outside of city limits. This would make it legal for me to shoot recreationally on my property. Thing is through all my searching I cannot find anything to support this. Looking at local ordinances they say that it is unlawful to discharge a firearm within any police special service district. We are in the Southeast IMPD District.

I am really trying to find a concrete answer to this. I've heard what I am assuming is recreation shooting close by before but I feel like it would be my luck that the cops would get called and bad things would ensue if I were shoot on my property. So can anyone give me a concrete answer to this? Thank You!
    I was told southeast ends and east begins at I74.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    My Son lives on Prospect between Post and German Church. Has 2 Acres and shoots about every other weekend for a hour or so. Police were once called and told him it was legal and they were mostly checking that he was being safe.You know
    backstop and direction of fire ect ect.
    Not legal advice just what has happened prior.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    IANAL but I think you are good. There are multiple private ranges (at least 3) in the map grid below and although every spring the neighbors freak at the first shots, (they forgot about it over the winter apparently) and start posting about shots fired on social media. IMPD has checked at least one and its perfectly safe.

I'd say as long as you are outside the loop and safe, the worst you have to fear is a civil suit from a Karen with cash pushing for a C&D.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    It's a civil offense. The only possible punishment is a fine.
    It could be criminal if bullets leave the property and cause damage to neighbors. Our neighbor that was shooting without a backstop, was charged with criminal recklessness as a result of the damage he caused. After he was convicted, the state revoked his LTCH.

Make sure you have a safe backstop and be safe, and you should be fine.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It could be criminal if bullets leave the property and cause damage to neighbors. Our neighbor that was shooting without a backstop, was charged with criminal recklessness as a result of the damage he caused. After he was convicted, the state revoked his LTCH.

Make sure you have a safe backstop and be safe, and you should be fine.
    Yeah. That's why I said "but as long as you aren't being dangerous, have a good backstop, etc"

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Yeah. That's why I said "but as long as you aren't being dangerous, have a good backstop, etc"
    I caught that but your post that i quoted ignored the possibility for criminal charges so I felt it would be helpful to share how that could happen. I always assumed people who shoot were smart enough to KNOW they needed a backstop. At this point, I assume nothing. I have seen insanity all too often.

7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    I caught that but your post that i quoted ignored the possibility for criminal charges so I felt it would be helpful to share how that could happen. I always assumed people who shoot were smart enough to KNOW they needed a backstop. At this point, I assume nothing. I have seen insanity all too often.
    This is unfortunately so true. Luckily i have a large field behind my house with no roads or houses for a few miles. I can get about 50 yards max from where i want to put my backstop.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I'm leery of "not in city limits". Indy went unigov so the entire county is identified as Indianapolis on a map. Exceptions being areas that were already incorporated such as Speedway, Beech Grove, Lawrence, etc. Your neighbors to your property are going to make or break you. Even if legal, if they constantly bitch and call the law, sooner or later, there will be some reason you can no longer shoot there. "Too close to a road" "too close to a structure" "local noise ordinance" "proximity of a school or school bus route". As the resident leo's have already mentioned, nothing criminal. Unless of course you are wantonly reckless. An inlaw of mine owned a home just inside Carrol rd. (county line) and just north of 52/brookville. Shot for a couple years. New neighbor moves in, calls law multiple times over the summer and eventually deputy sheriff tells him he's too close to a structure (his own f'n house!). Moves his shooting lane, proceeds to shoot. Leo's return. Neighbor was told not to call again unless shooter was doing something dangerous. Problem solved.

7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    I'm leery of "not in city limits". Indy went unigov so the entire county is identified as Indianapolis on a map. Exceptions being areas that were already incorporated such as Speedway, Beech Grove, Lawrence, etc. Your neighbors to your property are going to make or break you. Even if legal, if they constantly bitch and call the law, sooner or later, there will be some reason you can no longer shoot there. "Too close to a road" "too close to a structure" "local noise ordinance" "proximity of a school or school bus route". As the resident leo's have already mentioned, nothing criminal. Unless of course you are wantonly reckless. An inlaw of mine owned a home just inside Carrol rd. (county line) and just north of 52/brookville. Shot for a couple years. New neighbor moves in, calls law multiple times over the summer and eventually deputy sheriff tells him he's too close to a structure (his own f'n house!). Moves his shooting lane, proceeds to shoot. Leo's return. Neighbor was told not to call again unless shooter was doing something dangerous. Problem solved.
    Good to know thank you!

Top Bottom