• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Taking photos. Forgetting an item on the lunch table. Writing in a notebook. Appearing "nervous."

These behaviors could get you interrogated for hours by FEDERAL agents during your visit to the mall. You better shut up fast. Making any false statement to Federal agents is a federal crime, punishable by 5 years in prison.

Mall of America visitors unknowingly end up in counterterrorism reports
    As he shopped for a children's watch inside the sprawling Mall of America, two security guards approached and began questioning him. Although he was not accused of wrongdoing, the guards filed a confidential report about Kleinerman that was forwarded to local police. The reason: Guards thought he might pose a threat because they believed he had been looking at them in a suspicious way.

Najam Qureshi, owner of a kiosk that sold items from his native Pakistan, also had his own experience with authorities after his father left a cell phone on a table in the food court. The consequence: An FBI agent showed up at the family's home, asking if they knew anyone who might want to hurt the United States.

Mall of America officials say their security unit stops and questions on average up to 1,200 people each year. The interviews at the mall are part of a counterterrorism initiative that acts as the private eyes and ears of law enforcement authorities but has often ensnared innocent people, according to an investigation by the Center for Investigative Reporting.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've been saying this a lot lately.... Good Lord. :rolleyes:

"Am I being detained?"
    "No, we are just asking some questions."
    "So, I am not being detained?"
    "No, just answer the questions."
    "OK, then, have a nice day."

Why on Earth do folks even give these security guards the time of day?

My "bored out of my mind", people watching, smart-phone fiddling, snoring loudly as my wife shops antics would fill a ream of pages in their "suspicious activity" report.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I didn't read where Federal agents were "saturating" malls. I see a group of private individuals overstepping their bounds by harassing people and then reporting their findings to the FBI. It's like saying your nosey neighbor who calls the cops on you every time you turn your music up too loud is the equivalent of Federal agents "saturating" your neighborhood. You want to make a change here? Don't shop at Mall of America, or any other places where private individuals harass you. Or, sue them for harassing you and turning you into the FBI for no reason. If a private citizen is forcibly detaining you like this article is suggesting, then take legal action against them. Mall of America security guards are not Federal agents, or law enforcement of any type, just regular citizens like any other shopper in the mall.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Malls? As in plural. Saturated with federal agents? I read about one mall with an overly aggressive use of private security that unnecessarily included local authorities on occasion, and federal authorities even less.

None of which is acceptable, but exaggeration doesn't improve credibility.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    New Yorkers have been warned that soon shoppers will routinely see checkpoints in shopping malls.

Expert: Security Checkpoints at 'Soft' Targets May Soon Become The Norm

Security consultant David Boehm said the future could include security check points entering all soft targets — like your local department store. Boehm said even with a police presence, the areas are vulnerable.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2p6f4Asnm0[/ame]

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond

"Am I being detained?"

My "bored out of my mind", people watching, smart-phone fiddling, snoring loudly as my wife shops antics would fill a ream of pages in their "suspicious activity" report.

So it's a good cover right? :D

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin

"Am I being detained?"

I would answer all questions.. I'd be terrified if this guy stopped me.

motivatorac5777c8efb1fbfab5211356a0.jpg

abigbadzebra

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Richmond
    This same story was on NPR yesterday afternoon on my way home from work and they also touched on it again this morning on my way in. "Suspicious activity" can range from looking at security the wrong way, walking quickly while on a cell phone, taking pictures and/or video, accidentally leaving a cell phone on a table (though I'm pretty sure there was mention of a briefcase left in the same area that they may have thought was related). Mall ninjas file the reports and they get forwarded to local law enforcement, which then can end up in the hands of the FBI.

Those reports are on file for decades.

Top Bottom