• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    if a guy bought a brand new pistol grip shotgun, could he legally cut the barrel down to 10"?
    I want to see where this is discussed in legal code (either Indiana or through batf)

Negative. If you want a 10" barreled shotgun with a pistol grip in Indiana it must leave the factory in that configuration. It is classified as a smooth bore pistol or Any Other Weapon (AOW) and requires you to obtain a $5 tax stamp to possess.

Question 2

if a guy bought a pistol grip shotgun, could he legally possess it in his vehicle without a carry permit?

Yes, provided it is unloaded, secured in a case and not readily accessible. You must meet all three criteria to transport it lawfully in a vehicle without a handgun license.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I don't care about all the personal comments or other stuff. I came here looking for a factual answer. That's all!

if a guy bought a brand new pistol grip shotgun, could he legally cut the barrel down to 10"?
    I want to see where this is discussed in legal code (either Indiana or through batf)

Don't like the responses, then next time contact a lawyer if you want nothing but the facts, or sgt. Friday and not an internet fourm.:crying:

338sniper

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    Don't like the responses, then next time contact a lawyer if you want nothing but the facts, or sgt. Friday and not an internet fourm.:crying:

Hey bud, the "personal input" is why so many people get bad info. I am a responsible gun owner and do my best to give the most accurate answers possible. I'm simply trying to get a correct legal answer so that someone's lack of knowledge does not paint another black eye on the gun community. If you don't have anything of value to add then move on

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Hey bud, the "personal input" is why so many people get bad info. I am a responsible gun owner and do my best to give the most accurate answers possible. I'm simply trying to get a correct legal answer so that someone's lack of knowledge does not paint another black eye on the gun community. If you don't have anything of value to add then move on

I already gave a value comment earlier here so thank you, I will move on, sorry you got worked up "bud".

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I already gave a value comment earlier here so thank you, I will move on, sorry you got worked up "bud".
    This is one of my favorite things about INGO. Keyboard Ninjas. Meaning I am anonymous so I can be all kinds of bad ass without needing to back it up with more than more BS trolling. Makes a guy feel like he is so cool too.

**Legal Disclaimer**
    The above was meant towards no one in particular for the sake of moderation and argument, Quote used was merely an example. Poster's name was removed from quote to make it anonymous so that no one in particular could take umbrage. Don't know what umbrage means? Look it up.

338sniper

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    No ninjas here. Just a simple guy looking for simple answers not personal beliefs. Bad info causes to much confusion and bickering among each other. I wasn't make the post for that,
    i wanted a simple answer that's all. Sorry if I offended someone

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    This is one of my favorite things about INGO. Keyboard Ninjas. Meaning I am anonymous so I can be all kinds of bad ass without needing to back it up with more than more BS trolling. Makes a guy feel like he is so cool too.

**Legal Disclaimer**
    The above was meant towards no one in particular for the sake of moderation and argument, Quote used was merely an example. Poster's name was removed from quote to make it anonymous so that no one in particular could take umbrage. Don't know what umbrage means? Look it up.
    Too bad you left the name off the quote. Now we'll never know who said it!:rolleyes:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Too bad you left the name off the quote. Now we'll never know who said it!:rolleyes:
    :) see, he couldn't figure out who I was talking to ⬇⬇⬇
    No ninjas here. Just a simple guy looking for simple answers not personal beliefs. Bad info causes to much confusion and bickering among each other. I wasn't make the post for that,
    i wanted a simple answer that's all. Sorry if I offended someone

I actually did try to help out earlier since I thought you were thinking the same thing as in another thread. That was why I linked it for you. I will tell you that you will get used to the incredible amount of thread veer that typically goes on here at :ingo:. Never expect a thread to remain on topic much more than the first page. That is a good thread. Most start veering on the first reply and never ever return to the OT yet somehow go on for many tens of pages. That's just how many mind readers and experts there are here who are merely trying to tell you what you really wanted to know when you asked a different question altogether. :laugh:

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Remember! You don't have to aim a shotgun, the sights on the top are just for show.
    You can just stick it around the corner and let one loose and it will drop every bad guy in the room.

A word of advice: If you don't like cleaning up human excrement from your floor DO NOT rack that shotgun as it causes bad guys to **** their pants on the spot.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Well, I have one that came as a pistol, it was a Mossberg 500 that came with ONLY a PG. Dumb? In a crowded place being able to move with such firepower easily isn't dumb in my eyes. They are remarkably easy to shoot from the hip AND do so with accuracy at the ranges they are intended for, short, indoor ranges. So if that's dumb, then so be it. I am fine with it since I'm sure I'm dealing with nothing but experts here.

If you are asking because you want to make it a 14" barreled shotgun like another thread is endorsing w/o a tax stamp, then do so at your own peril. These are being done on a BATFE ruling letter. These letters hold no value since they are easily reversed and the BATFE doesn't even need to say why they are doing so.

An 18.5 barrel gun with a stock is just as maneuverable if handled properly, fires from the hip just as well (bad idea anyways) and just performs better in pretty much every role. With proper training/practice a stocked shotgun does everything as well or better than a pg only'shotgun. There is a reason no reputable trainers recommend or instruct for pg only'shotguns. It's because they are clown shoes.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    You win, it's no use, your opinion is so much better than anyone else I must yield. It is now clear I have been misled for many years now. :rolleyes:

Please see my signature file for disclaimer.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    You win, it's no use, your opinion is so much better than anyone else I must yield. It is now clear I have been misled for many years now. :rolleyes:

Please see my signature file for disclaimer.

It's not that my opinion is better, it's just that yours is wrong. You can have the opinion that a Mosin with bayonet is a great HD weapon. You would be wrong.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Since I have an LTCH, carrying a PG shotgun is an option for truck carry. I like the "Raptor" grips vs the standard factory ones. I have fired both styles, and the "Raptor" seems pretty easier on the wrist. Slugs are pretty much out, but prefer 00 Buck or #4.

Blackhawk AR style stocks are also good shooters, albeit the recoil pad is a little lightweight. Youth stocks also work well for defense applications. Like a sling too.
    I added a 6 shot sided saddle, then removed it as it ripped my left hand during some practice. (left handed shooter). Now I have a sling that holds 10 rds in elastic loops. We'll wait and see how that works out.

Good luck on your decisions.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So, if I was to go out and buy a Mossberg 500 that has a pistol grip on it, is it considered a pistol or shotgun by definition?

Are we applying federal or state law? Both?

When you say "pistol grip on it", do you mean no stock or stock with a pistol grip?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    So, if I was to go out and buy a Mossberg 500 that has a pistol grip on it, is it considered a pistol or shotgun by definition?

the box from the factory says it has to be sold as a handgun and listed as such on the 4473,

its a pistol by definition as it can not be fired from the shoulder.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'll leave the legals to someone else.

Pistol grip on a shotgun? Buy what you want and enjoy it. Personally, I'm looking forward to making an SBR by adding a stock to the new Glock 42.

338sniper

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    If it was classified a pistol then why couldn't you make the barrel shorter than 18"? (Such as the ruger 10/22 charger)
    seems I've been around guns for 30+ years and I wanna believe I know the answer to my questions, but I question the answers vs the law I think?

Top Bottom