• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    There are obviously pros and cons to any weapon. For me, I think there are better home defense guns than a shotgun and i don't use one as such.

Last edited:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    The main issues are these YouTube commando channels (and many in forums) preach Possibilities not PROBABILITIES! On both equipment and scenarios like firearm or home vs outside defense. (And battle belts usually point out that mindset but it’s a free country)

And despite some of the videos most of America is safe from a multi suspect home invasion or attack with skilled Gunmen and or Martians.

Most mere mortals not interested in firearms other than hunting have used single or double barrel shotguns and even a 22 rifle on home defense.

While a real fighting shotgun can be a great tool most folks don’t train or are familiar enough to fight with one. And as a fighting in reference to an 870 or Benelli M4 or Beretta 1301. It really is more for someone that’s going to train. (And even trained I have seen my share of staff not able to run the above at FLETC during qualifying)

Wether you’re into training and want just rifles and handguns knock yourself out but preaching that someone not on a cartel hit list won’t make it through the night with a shotgun is just fear mongering.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I think the real reason shotguns have a great track record for home defense is because they are the most commonly used by casual gun owners. Ie someone that may only have 1 or 2 guns and little training.

Now, why I think they aren't the greatest, I hate how many times I hear. "Just point in the general direction, it'll spread out and clear the entire hallway" . I'm not a shotgun guy, but this is dangerous info for those who believe it... which is a lot of folks.

Nothing beats training, common sense, and a good passive security system/deterrence. So to each their own on firearm selection. If you need it, it's already a bad situation. No matter the outcome.
    People used to not own very many guns, and used to own few/no handguns or serious semiauto combat rifles. What guns they did have cost more, as a proportion of income. More people hunted. Shotgun is your default when you can really only afford a couple of guns and need the ability to hunt. Defending the home was a secondary role, not a given gun's primary job. Hence the successful defense track record.

People definitely believe some funny things about shotguns.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Shotguns do suck. For the bad guy.

Nothing is as effective at home defense range, shot per shot, as a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 00 Buck. I don't really subscribe the the "one shot stop" myth that has been bandied about by various gun magazine writers, but I do believe that if anything had a chance to achieve that honor, it would be 12 gauge 00 buck.

The scenarios presented by MAC and that other bearded clown in the first video (hostage situtation during home defense...really?) are extremely unlikely. Do you really think that your burglar in the middle of the night is going to be a trained assassin waiting around the corner to grab your shotgun barrel? Or a hostage taker? Is talk of weapon selection for LE or military entry teams really relevant to home defense scenarios? Are you a high-value target of some kind, or Joe Homeowner?

The vastly more likely scenario is a single drunk, a drug-addled meth zombie, or a mental case. SBRs or braced pistols with suppressors and RDS are certainly excellent tools, but the man with the reliable budget 12 gauge pump certainly isn't poorly armed. There's something to be said for hitting the threat with 8 or 9 projectiles with each pull of the trigger.

These YouTubers keep using the word "suck." I do not think it means what they think it means.

:)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

Nothing is as effective at home defense range, shot per shot, as a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 00 Buck. I don't really subscribe the the "one shot stop" myth that has been bandied about by various gun magazine writers, but I do believe that if anything had a chance to achieve that honor, it would be 12 gauge 00 buck.

The scenarios presented by MAC and that other bearded clown in the first video (hostage situtation during home defense...really?) are extremely unlikely. Do you really think that your burglar in the middle of the night is going to be a trained assassin waiting around the corner to grab your shotgun barrel? Or a hostage taker? Is talk of weapon selection for LE or military entry teams really relevant to home defense scenarios? Are you a high-value target of some kind, or Joe Homeowner?

The vastly more likely scenario is a single drunk, a drug-addled meth zombie, or a mental case. SBRs or braced pistols with suppressors and RDS are certainly excellent tools, but the man with the reliable budget 12 gauge pump certainly isn't poorly armed. There's something to be said for hitting the threat with 8 or 9 projectiles with each pull of the trigger.

These YouTubers keep using the word "suck." I do not think it means what they think it means.

I am sure you meant 000 buck.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    That is my setup. (Black magic magnums, but i have a light mounted) I figure that is what i want if a moose is stomping someone to death in the parking lot and it is a pretty good bet against everything else.
    My Mossberg 500 stays in Alaska. It never gets dark in the summer. The national park rangers carry Remington 870s for moose and bears.

Down here in Indiana, I have a Remington 870 Express with a light.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    They’re all junk when you are trying to sell something that’s likely more junk on your Amazon page.
    I actually got really bored one night and watched just for giggles. Pure clickbait, 110%. He really didnt think any of those things. He just described the pros and cons of each. Dude personified "click bait" as nothing in the preview image was actually expressed in the video. He really didnt think any of those were fire hazards, dangerous, etc. (and didnt have an alternative to sell me)
    I hid the dude's channel from my suggestions. Ranks right up there with the fake prank videos. Crap like that doesnt deserve my clicks.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

There is something positive to being able to shoot the guy up to 9x with one trigger pull.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Off topic a bit but I went into my lgs a while back looking for one of those multi barrel 870 (rifled and a chocked). Use to be able to get these for like $350 and was told Remington was pieced out and they don’t get them as much now. Used ones were $600+. Anyone know more about this. I love my 870 and want another but not at that price range.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    To each their own. Disagree with a lot of what he said. Just because you were a _______ doesn't mean your opinion is always the one to go to for my situation.
    There are a LOT of talking heads out there, over-emphasizing their opinion, regardless of whether it has a true-life application / basis or not! While it's true that over the past 10-15+ years, the AR platform, including the AR pistols and PCC's, have taken over the market for personal and home defense (with just cause), there is still a place for a home defense shotgun, especially if it's a comfortable platform for someone.
    My wife still chooses her Remington 870 Tactical 20 GA for her primary home-defense weapon. She's been comfortable with it since she got it, back in 2010, and she still loves shooting it. She's used an AR-pistol in 5.56 but finds it a bit 'too much' under duress. whereas she's comfortable with and prefers the operation of the pump-action shotgun. She uses my 20 GA O/U Stevens for Skeet and Trap and loves it too!

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    There is something positive to being able to shoot the guy up to 9x with one trigger pull.
    The one shot stop potential of the 12 gauge makes up for a lot of shortcomings. There is something to be said for only firing once. That's eminently "reasonable", even to the clowns who get to decide whether you go to prison or not. It shouldn't matter, but it does matter.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Off topic a bit but I went into my lgs a while back looking for one of those multi barrel 870 (rifled and a chocked). Use to be able to get these for like $350 and was told Remington was pieced out and they don’t get them as much now. Used ones were $600+. Anyone know more about this. I love my 870 and want another but not at that price range.
    The days of quality pumps like the 870 and 500 selling for $350 are long gone. Between covid, supply chain issues, increased demand, and inflation those days are long gone Get used to it.

Top Bottom