• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I was also there during the same time period. Bloomington has gone down hill. Especially during the last 15 years. I avoid Bloomington as much as possible. When I was there in the mid 80's working, I shot at the Sycamore Gun Club at the indoor range under the west end of the IU Union building. I know the outdoor range is long gone, and I can't imagine that the indoor range is still there. I guess the only place to shoot in Bloomington now is on the streets?

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Guess we rubbed elbows, figuratively speaking. I was an IU student from 78-82. I liked Bloomington all right, but nothing I’ve read about it since makes me wanna go back. Except maybe to have a beer at Nick’s..
    I myself grew up in the area and was there for school in the late 80’s. It’s pretty much a mini San Francisco now. No need to go unless you have too. Sad

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I was also there during the same time period. Bloomington has gone down hill. Especially during the last 15 years. I avoid Bloomington as much as possible. When I was there in the mid 80's working, I shot at the Sycamore Gun Club at the indoor range under the west end of the IU Union building. I know the outdoor range is long gone, and I can't imagine that the indoor range is still there. I guess the only place to shoot in Bloomington now is on the streets?
    Correct the range in the Union is long closed. It’s used for storage now. Is my understanding.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    …When I was there in the mid 80's working, I shot at the Sycamore Gun Club at the indoor range under the west end of the IU Union building. I know the outdoor range is long gone…

I had forgotten about those, but it reminded me that I took a skeet and trap shooting course one semester. It was my first exposure to reloading, because it waspart of the class I had to reload so many shotgun shells per week. I’ll bet they don’t have that anymore either.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I had forgotten about those, but it reminded me that I took a skeet and trap shooting course one semester. It was my first exposure to reloading, because it waspart of the class I had to reload so many shotgun shells per week. I’ll bet they don’t have that anymore either.
    Nope. Long gone. IU closed Sycamore valley under the guise of expanding the Golf course. Which I don't think they actually ever did. Fun fact: For those of you not from around these parts, Sycamore Vally sat upon the former City landfill.

Heck even in the late 80’s we still carried our rifles to the union, slung over our shoulders and no one thought anything about it. Now it would cause a firestorm ( no pun intended) lol.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Nope. Long gone. IU closed Sycamore valley under the guise of expanding the Golf course. Which I don't think they actually ever did. Fun fact: For those of you not from around these parts, Sycamore Vally sat upon the former City landfill.

Heck even in the late 80’s we still carried our rifles to the union, slung over our shoulders and no one thought anything about it. Now it would cause a firestorm ( no pun intended) lol.
    It may finally be gone because of the new hospital, but for many many years you could still see the old cement pads for the trap range on Google maps. It never actually got turned into golf course.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    My first trip to Btown was 1978. From 1979 forward I've either lived there or visited so frequently that it felt like I lived there. I used to love, love, love the town. It's not the same town. My feelings about it are not the same. I wouldn't live in Btown or Monroe county at this point. Nothing gold can stay.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Off topic, but the Sycamore Valley Gun range off of SR 45 was used by ILEA (Ind. Law Enforcement Academy) in the very early days of the academy. Like the 70's before they built the range in Plainfield. The old guys said they would ride a bus down for firearms week.

And FYI there is an new indoor range in the Judah area off of SR 37. I haven't shot there but have been in a few times and it is nice. No idea what rates are tho.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    My first trip to Btown was 1978. From 1979 forward I've either lived there or visited so frequently that it felt like I lived there. I used to love, love, love the town. It's not the same town. My feelings about it are not the same. I wouldn't live in Btown or Monroe county at this point. Nothing gold can stay.
    It's sad for me to go there now. Overrun with generic luxury apartments, inflation, and homeless. Gas price premium is up to like 40 cents. Sometimes I regret leaving, but honestly at what I was making in my old job I could maybe afford to rent a Walmart tent next to the Jordan River.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County

We were told there were concerns because apartments were being built so close to the range. There was also some "concern" because someone was firing a full auto gun at the range

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    We were told there were concerns because apartments were being built so close to the range. There was also some "concern" because someone was firing a full auto gun at the range
    Funny how they build next to the range. And then bitch about the noise huh. Airports have the same issue. They build houses all around them. Then the HOA will start complaining about the noise .

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    Funny how they build next to the range. And then bitch about the noise huh. Airports have the same issue. They build houses all around them. Then the HOA will start complaining about the noise .
    It's like Bloomington Speedway. They built houses around it and people complain about the noise. They should be bitching at themselves for not doing their homework and learning what is in the surround area where the house will be built.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I don't believe that is true. The second amendment, along with the rest of the Constitution lays out rules for how the federal government can behave. Local law enforcement is not covered in the Constitution, IIRC. Your first amend
    2A is incorporated against the states. Not allowing a shooting range to exist within the jurisdiction of the city and county definitely infringes on the exercise of the right protected by the 2A.

Top Bottom