Should a moderator be held to a higher standard?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should a moderator be held to a “higher standard” when it comes to the classifie

• Total voters
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    INGO has a FAQ...wait...

He was respectful. No sale is final until the transaction. Wal-Mart can't stop you from shopping if you have a coupon for an item at another store and at check out decide not to buy at Wal-Marts higher cost...but they do price match. :D

If you have offer and acceptance, you have a deal. If you break that deal, that reflects poorly on your integrity.

If I have an agreement with someone on a deal, and I markit SPF, I'm passing up other opportunities based on that person's word.

Turn the deal around: What if the OP told the guy "hey, I found a better trade/ someone offered more money, deal's off"

Mod or not, welching on an agreed upon deal is bad form. That's not a higher standard. That's simply what I would expect from anyone. You make a deal, you follow through with it.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    that doesn't mean that the person has to move forward with the purchase just because they agreed on a price at any particular time, it's not a contractual agreement. In the future the OP can chose not to business with the person

We have contracts because far too few people will stand behind their word and too many other folks condone that behavior.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I don't care whether it's a mod or not, but if I make an agreement, an actual agreement where it is explicitly stated that I will buy or sell at an agreed price or trade, and I have arranged to meet, I stand by my word and won't back off just because a better deal came along or because it became inconvenient.

That's the way I roll, to borrow an overused phrase. I prefer to be the kind of person who stands behind his word.

I understand other people don't operate that way. There's several people here I won't do any business with at all because their ethics are different than mine in that regard, including among them some site advertisers.

^^ This...

You two made an agreement...They backed out because of a "better deal." I would give them a -1 in the itrader at the very least and make sure to explain the situation in the comments so people know what type of crawfishin' deal maker they are in the future. (Only if of course, what you said above is accurate to what actually happened.)

However, being a mod should have no bearing on anything. We are all gun owners, that is all that matters.

Once upon a time an agreement meant something.

However, there is NOTHING worse that someone who agrees to meet and then doesn't show. So at least this person let you know before you were standing around waiting somewhere and wasting your time. That's better than nothing I guess.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    If you have offer and acceptance, you have a deal. If you break that deal, that reflects poorly on your integrity.

If I have an agreement with someone on a deal, and I markit SPF, I'm passing up other opportunities based on that person's word.

Turn the deal around: What if the OP told the guy "hey, I found a better trade/ someone offered more money, deal's off"

Mod or not, welching on an agreed upon deal is bad form. That's not a higher standard. That's simply what I would expect from anyone. You make a deal, you follow through with it.

And that would come to your definiton of a deal. Deal to me is when I exchange said item for other said item. If you are selling an item at a cost and someone offers you a better one it is your fault you accepted the first response you did.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    And that would come to your definiton of a deal. Deal to me is when I exchange said item for other said item. If you are selling an item at a cost and someone offers you a better one it is your fault you accepted the first response you did.

That's also the law's definition. "Offer and acceptance" are legally sufficient to form a contract.

But, your cavalier attitude toward welching on deals/breaching contract is duly noted.

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana

I guess this is what I am trying to say. Not only does it reflect poorly onthat person but also poorly on INGO coming from a person in charge. Let me justsay that I love this site and have learned a bunch from the people on here andhave no hard feelings toward anybody. I just wanted to know if I was blowingthis out of proportion.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    That's also the law's definition. "Offer and acceptance" are legally sufficient to form a contract.

But, your cavalier attitude toward welching on deals/breaching contract is duly noted.

I never said I would do it I just support those that look out for themselves. What's so wrong with capitalism? Oh, when you think you are getting screwed the system is against you...got it.:yesway:

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    If two individuals agreed to trade at a future time and place; it is generally understood that both parties will exchange goods at the agreed time and place. It is generally accepted that if either party finds what is offered as consideration is deficient, his right to terminate the transaction is reserved. The agreement constitutes a contract for the exchange. Written contracts are easier to enforce than those made by voice. That having been said, often the cost of perusing the satisfaction of the contract exceeds the value of the terms. In other words, people will **** on you in a skinny minute if a better deal comes their way.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    As others have said, if all terms have been decided and you're just waiting to go to the meet-up, then you've got a solid deal. I'd be pretty unhappy if they backed out because a better deal came along. Keep in mind that I'm making the assumption that all terms have indeed been decided by both parties and we're now just awaiting the meet-up. As far as "who" did it, moderator or otherwise, that doesn't matter at all. I don't think they should be held to a higher standard or on the flip-side, held to a lesser standard because of their status. Also, I'm not making the assumption that this was an INGO mod, because none of them strike me as the type that would do this.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Capitalism is founded on contract law.

And if you believe that buy at a higher price than others. I will save my money and choose what I buy and at what cost. Some people need thicker skins. If you get upset because somebody backed out of a "deal" even though nothing was exchanged you have other issues. Not saying thats what the OP is saying. Most transactions on here are pending meet. I will not say for sure I will buy something when I have not checked it out in person.

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    I guess the whole thing that made me unhappy was that HE contacted ME. I was selling and he contacted me.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I just wanted to know if I was blowingthis out of proportion.

Yes. Neg feedback him, if you think that's appropriate. PM him and call him a welching douchebag, if you like. IMHO, starting a thread and poll to try to... well, I won't make assumptions about your reasons other than that your real reason is NOT to get people's opinions about whether you're blowing it out of proportion, but for me, yes, that's blowing it out of proportion.

I guess the whole thing that made me unhappy was that HE contacted ME. I was selling and he contacted me.

That's... kind of how it works, right?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    You're not on a contract until money is exchanged.

This is my opinion, and you know what people say about opinions....... but once someone says "Ill take it", THAT is the contract.

You say you'll take it, its yours. You back out because you find a better deal? neg feedback incoming. Period.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up

Did he say "I'll take it" or did he state he wanted to see it in person before he decided? Changes the whole scenario I guess. In the recent case I would be a little upset about it but, we have 17,000+ members here and a quick edit of the ad wouldn't take very long. I see where you're coming from but, I guess I just don't take people's word very much. Especially in this day and age. Been screwed enough times to know it's not over until you're on your way home.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    And if you believe that buy at a higher price than others. I will save my money and choose what I buy and at what cost. Some people need thicker skins. If you get upset because somebody backed out of a "deal" even though nothing was exchanged you have other issues. Not saying thats what the OP is saying. Most transactions on here are pending meet. I will not say for sure I will buy something when I have not checked it out in person.

If I say I'm going to buy something/sell something and I have an agreement with someone, I stand by my word. I would expect the same level of integrity from anyone.

That's basic contract law, and that's what used to be considered a fundamental quality of being a stand-up person with integrity.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    If I say I'm going to buy something/sell something and I have an agreement with someone, I stand by my word. I would expect the same level of integrity from anyone.

That's basic contract law, and that's what used to be considered a fundamental quality of being a stand-up person with integrity.

Use to be but...read above post. I've seen enough to know a word is not what it use to be...sad actually. However, I wouldn't go so far in saying that the person backing out of the deal has lower standards when it comes to that and also not saying I may or may not ignore the person the next time they offer a deal.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I'll just leave this here.....you guys figure out the logistics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmRAiUPdRjk

bust_a_deal_wheel.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom