Should a moderator be held to a higher standard?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should a moderator be held to a “higher standard” when it comes to the classifie

• Total voters
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

M88A1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Bedford
    How about you put out a poll where it can be fully read before you have to vote on it. What I seen said should a moderator be held to a higher standard in the classified. In general id say yes. but once i voted and seen the entire poll question, I say NO. if you find a better deal....you find a better deal. As long as I didnt put out money like drive across the state or something.....if the deal is cancelled its all good....sucks for the seller but thats how it goes here or anywhere you sell something

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    heres my question, are you (*) because he said he found a better deal or that he called off the deal? also would you have felt differently if wasn't a mod or had to back out of the deal because he had an emergency(family medical etc.) come up and therefore didn't have the funds anymore? IMO the being a mod part should be irrelevant, the only things mods should be held to a higher standard on is the rules they are here to enforce such as spamming, trolling, name calling, etc. and whether they violate them.

Last edited:

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Have you ever gone into a store with the intent to purchase something, taken the time of a very helpful sales person, and then decided to "think it over" or "shop around"? it happens to everyone and it will continue to happen. I've been told hundreds of times at gun shows that I was more helpful or had much better information and understanding of a product, but the guy down the isle is willing to take 10 bucks less than I, as watch them trot down the line..

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I learned early on that Mods (capital "M") are the chosen Ones and have ascended to a higher plane of existence. That all powerful Golden Bam Hammer is a force to be reckoned with. Fear the wrath of MOD.
    They also get more Bacon than us.

0829991001284025572.jpg

(how did I do) :)

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Have you ever gone into a store with the intent to purchase something, taken the time of a very helpful sales person, and then decided to "think it over" or "shop around"? it happens to everyone and it will continue to happen. I've been told hundreds of times at gun shows that I was more helpful or had much better information and understanding of a product, but the guy down the isle is willing to take 10 bucks less than I, as watch them trot down the line..

That is why you charge retail prices and why wholesale is less. Because that is part of your overhead and is part of operating a retail business. Part of that retail overhead is the level of service you provide. That's why I just laugh at people who get pissed that a WalMart employee can't answer their questions. If you are good you will establish a clientele that understands and appreciates your level of service and continues to do business with you even when your prices may be a little higher because they know they are getting value for it.

A private sale of an item whether a gun, a car, or a house, is a different type of transaction than operating a retail business and is a very poor analogy to use.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    I learned early on that Mods (capital "M") are the chosen Ones and have ascended to a higher plane of existence. That all powerful Golden Bam Hammer is a force to be reckoned with. Fear the wrath of MOD.
    They also get more Bacon than us.

(how did I do) :)

The difference between a brown noser and an ass kisser is just a matter of depth perception.

:D

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Well, I hope you neg-feedback'd each other over this whole thing as well as airing it here, because I probably don't want to work a deal with either of the parties involved.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Well, I hope you neg-feedback'd each other over this whole thing as well as airing it here, because I probably don't want to work a deal with either of the parties involved.

THIS^^

So you had a deal, and the guy backed out. So what? Start a new thread about a deal with a Mod that left you all (*)? Childish and silly IMO. I have always done business under the philosophy that the deal isn't set in stone until cash is exchanged. Up to that point, anything can happen. Just get over it, put the thing back up for sale, and get on with your life.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think this is THE best classified related thread I have ever read on INGO. (Too bad it doesn't reflect that in the title.) Lets keep it going please! Can we make it a sticky?

Does anyone have an idea of a simple sort of score sheet? I really need to keep track of some of these posts. Some of the approaches to how to do business are critical to my future dealings. This goes way beyond iTrader.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    No you should not expect more from a Mod when in the classifieds. Now as for the deal, unless an emergency came up, they should have followed thru with the sale/trade. I'm glad they had the courtesy to call and cancel, but they should have honored the deal. However, pissing and moaning about it is childish and a waste of time. Neg 1 them and move on.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Is the iTrader system so difficult to use that we instead need an entire thread to rant about a deal gone sour, just because it involved a Mod?

Normally we don't even allow such specific threads to continue (that's why we have iTrader), but heaven forbid we remove it for fear of accusations that we're "hiding" something.

It wasn't my deal so I won't comment on the transaction. If you feel wronged then give them negative feedback in iTrader and move on.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    A deal is a deal... and a DB is a DB ...if I say I'll take it in a pm or txt...its as good as a handshake. Better deal? If I said I take it....I don't back out unless there is some crazy emergency. Mod or not it was not a cool move.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Hey, to be fair, I said a tuxedo t-shirt was an acceptable alternative.

I didn't mind the tux so much. What really creeped me out was you showing up in a tattered raincoat singing the Lumberjack Song from Monty Python with a big button on the raincoat that read "Ask Me What I'm CC'ing"

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Say you have something for sale in the classifieds, and a moderator contacts you with a trade, the terms have been agreed on and a time and place has been set to meet. The day before you meet they back out and sends me a PM saying they found a better deal. My question is should a moderator be held to a“higher standard” than regular members when it comes to buying in the classifieds?
    Deals fall through If you want to be more mad at the guy because he is a Mon I guess you can do that.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    That is why you charge retail prices and why wholesale is less. Because that is part of your overhead and is part of operating a retail business. Part of that retail overhead is the level of service you provide. That's why I just laugh at people who get pissed that a WalMart employee can't answer their questions. If you are good you will establish a clientele that understands and appreciates your level of service and continues to do business with you even when your prices may be a little higher because they know they are getting value for it.

A private sale of an item whether a gun, a car, or a house, is a different type of transaction than operating a retail business and is a very poor analogy to use.

It's still a business transaction no matter how you look at it. A deal is not a deal till the goods and money have exchanged hands. Till then it's just a negotiation.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    It's still a business transaction no matter how you look at it. A deal is not a deal till the goods and money have exchanged hands. Till then it's just a negotiation.

Not according to contract law. An offer and an acceptance of that offer constitutes a legal contract whether it is oral or written. Someone querying you about your product is not an offer to purchase. Just because there's no practical recourse from someone breaking that contract doesn't mean the contract doesn't exist. This is THE basis for contract law.
    Contract Law - An Introduction

There's an example in the link which specifically addresses the type of issue being discussed in this thread (not the mod aspect).

Just because YOU don't agree with it don't make it so. More to the point, as this thread has clearly pointed out, there's plenty of folks who are perfectly happy to not stand behind what they say they will do, and there's plenty of folks who think this is an ok way to conduct business.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Before the i-trader thing, we had -1 reports for the same thing on a regular basis. No one ever defended the guy that backed out then. In fact everyone would pile on and the mods started locking the thread and just opening it for a response.

As to the defense about buying stuff unseen, it would be completely different if the buyer had the meet and decided it wasn't what had been advertised or in too poor of condition to go through with it. That isn't what happened so drop that defense.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    I guess this is what I am trying to say. Not only does it reflect poorly onthat person but also poorly on INGO coming from a person in charge. Let me justsay that I love this site and have learned a bunch from the people on here andhave no hard feelings toward anybody. I just wanted to know if I was blowingthis out of proportion.

yes

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom