• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sublime49er247

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Yesterday I asked this question about purchasing a used M4, 500+ rounds, and 6 magazines. You guys had some fantastic replies. The price has dropped from 3K to 2K now. How do you feel about the deal now? Thanks again for your time and experience.

I do not yet know brands, types, or model numbers. Obviously I wont bite until I have the particulars. Just need your gut feeling.

Sublime49er247

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I am not sure FirstTime, I am not well versed in the different brands. It there an overwhelming difference between each?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Having them drop 1K would make me suspicious. The rifle could be worth the 2k if it were a NIB Colt with all the ammo but be a rip off if it's a put together M4orgery. I'd most likely pass until you got detailed description and pictures. Also where is it coming from?

JCatt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Given todays prices, I still don't think its a good deal unless its a pretty decent rifle and quality ammo.
    Post panic going rates, although you can still do much better that this if you are patient
    500 rounds-$500
    6 Mags, pmags are going for $40+
    Leaves about $1260 for the rifle.

You can still find ammo for $.50 but you have to be quick, and you can still find mags a lot less than what the go for on GunBroker.
    Deals you can still find:
    500 rounds-$250 give or take
    6 Troy BattleMags, USGI Mags, $150
    That leaves $1600 for the rifle which should get you something nice.

Cassada

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    I would pass. If you have 2k burning a whole in your pocket. I would look into an Ak. They are going for much less because they are not getting all the attention. Ak, lever gun, shotgun, and a good service pistol.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Pass. I just sold a PSA upper on a stag lower with a dpms LPK. It was chrome 1/7 barrel so mostly Mil-spec. 2 loaded 30 rd. mags and flip up rear sight.
    $1200. It was un-fired.
    Prices will come back around and a lot of aspirin will be consumed by those who pulled the trigger during all the madness.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The brand makes a big difference - could be something really nice with a lot of high dollar components or it could just be a frankengun.

If we do end up with either no AWB or just a magazine ban, there are going to be a lot of people stuck with ARs that cost them 1000 to 2000 or more over their worth. I bet with the hinting that the AWB has no chance that people are going to try to start getting rid of them before they are upside down.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    Not to sound snide but, if you have to ask others if you should buy or not, the answer should be a definite NO. Do more research on what you want and its market value then decide for yourself. You really don't need us to tell you the answer.

MCrupe

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Kendallville
    Pass. I just sold a PSA upper on a stag lower with a dpms LPK. It was chrome 1/7 barrel so mostly Mil-spec. 2 loaded 30 rd. mags and flip up rear sight.
    $1200. It was un-fired.
    Prices will come back around and a lot of aspirin will be consumed by those who pulled the trigger during all the madness.
    got any more of those for sale?

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Look at this...

Del-Ton Inc DT Semi-Automatic 223 Remington/5.56 NATO 30+1 C $659.00 SHIPS FREE

Or my thread here, to compare the deal at least as a benchmark...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...e_looking_for_reasonable_ars.html#post3802774

I haven't used Delton, but my buddy has a Delton Upper he bought at Indy Trading Post and it has been flawless.
    To the right side of that ad, the LATEST PRICE is listed at $1299, of course the item is not available.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    got any more of those for sale?

Nope. I built that one for my brother in law and his finances took a hit so I sold it. It is in the hands of a good person and not for re-sale. Sold 2 others to friends who were saving up for AR's and the madness hit. I just wanted to help a couple of fella's out. Those are not for re-sale.
    I will build a few more when more parts are available.

quake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011

Churchmouse you've got that right. Especially when some of the credit card bills start rolling in......party over.

Like these guys have said the brand will make a big difference. I think I'd pass till you can get more info.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I am not sure FirstTime, I am not well versed in the different brands. It there an overwhelming difference between each?

YES... and even between rifles of the same brand depending on what parts they used.

The Noveske upper I have on one rifle cost more (pre-panic prices) than an entire other rifle I have. I think the upper was about $850. It just depends on what kind of parts it has.

What is the barrel made of? Is it chromed? What is the twist rate?
    What kind of bolt carrier? Is it properly staked?
    Does the upper receiver have M4 feed ramps?

There are plenty of other things to look at when purchasing an AR too. All of these things affect the price. Some brands are targeted towards the economy buyer and thus will always be cheaper than other brands.

Top Bottom