• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Considering the above, do you consider a red dot (with it's cost and weight):

• Total voters

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Finances are tight, and I’m interested in ultra-concealment and getting single-stack 9mm mouse gun to cover that base. In looking through my safe, I’m contemplating any items or accessories I could do without that selling could significantly help pay for that extra barrel. The only thing I could sell (short of selling an existing barrel) is the Aimpoint
    PRO atop my AR. It’s a great optic, but with that 9mm single-stack itch I’m wanting to scratch and the tight finances, sacrifices are necessary. The points to consider are:

1. I’ve chosen an AR for home/personal defense in the event of home invasion (assuming multiple assailants) or various SHTF scenarios.
    2. Since low-light threat identification is paramount, there is always a quality white light attached. If it’s too dark to positively identify a threat, it will be illuminated first.
    3. My iron sights are currently co-witnessed with the Aimpoint, though they are quality fixed irons (as opposed to lesser quality “back-ups”) that can stand on their own if necessary.

Please vote, and offer any comments if it were your situation and decision...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Yes, but it's full size. I appendix carry it with no real problem concealing it. The 9mm mouse would be more for back-up or ultra-concealment.

Ok.

If it was me, I wouldn't sell my only aimpoint off my battle/HD rifle for another pistol.

Besides, single stack pistols are over-rated.

Just save a little bit of cash for a while. You'll get the cash eventually. Keep what you have, or just sell parts like that barrel you mentioned.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

Ok. I only ask because I have, in the past, sold guns I never used for a gun that I would use. For example, I sold a Mini-14 to buy an Aimpoint for my old AR. I also sold my Glock 21 for a Glock 26.

I never shot the .45, and I wanted a back up carry gun that my wife could shoot as well.

In your case, I would not sell the Aimpoint.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Ok.

If it was me, I wouldn't sell my only aimpoint off my battle/HD rifle for another pistol.

Besides, single stack pistols are over-rated.

Just save a little bit of cash for a while. You'll get the cash eventually. Keep what you have, or just sell parts like that barrel you mentioned.

Wise advice here. :+1:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    IMHO, I would keep the AR the way it is. You've got it setup for HD so I'd keep it that way. Eventually you'll have the funds for the 9.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The AimPoint is nice to have but so is a mouse gun. Keep the AimPoint and buy a better belt. And yes the little 9mm are way over rated. Although if you don't already own a spare pistol you should invest in one. Never know when yours might break. Maybe a compact version of the gun you already own.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Keep what you have and start selling your plasma, at $30-35 a pop twice a week you can buy up to your mouse gun in 1 1/2-2months

I'll agree with this. I started selling plasma a year ago and it's been some nice "side" money. It originally fed my shooting/hunting habits, which it still does partially, but it is really handy for that extra tank of gas, date night, etc. since my wife stopped working to be home with our baby. I also eat healthier to ensure my plasma is viable.
    In Bloomington (Biolife) you can get $20 on your first visit, and $30 on your second visit in a calendar week. You can only go twice in a seven day period, and cannot go 2 days in a row. So most people just plan on going in every Tues/Thurs for example, and it works fine. They also run bonuses (i.e. extra $30 on your 7th donation of the month, etc.)

I can't speak for other plasma centers, but the one in Bloomington has been good, clean, safe, and friendly.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    in response to your original question, I'd keep the red dot with the AR. I think mouse guns are overrated (my $.02)
    A compromise would be to sell the Aimpoint and get a midrange red dot (Vortex, maybe truglo, etc) and use the difference towards a pocket 9mm. It would still require extra funds to make that happen though.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    I have an astigmatism that renders Aimpoint's and Eotech's pretty much useless to me. Therefore, I voted for unnecessary seeing as I don't have one at all.

Top Bottom