• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • should vets get automatic carry priveleges?

• Total voters

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I voted no because I know a ton of stupid, irresponsible people that are considered Veterans, and I wouldn't trust them with a potato peeler, let alone a handgun.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I voted yes because I think every citizens has the right to bear arms, even convicted felons who have served their sentence.

However, I don't believe military veterans deserve this privilege any more than any other citizen.

Sgood

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    West Newton
    I voted no because I know a ton of stupid, irresponsible people that are considered Veterans, and I wouldn't trust them with a potato peeler, let alone a handgun.

+1.....plus the cases of post tramatic stress....and anything else they come up with to defend there bad actions, when they return home....

Not bashing our service men and women but, there are many not fit mentally for the responsibility to carry a firearm..........but then again i am one that thinks felons, loose thier right, forever!!!!!

level Joe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Adams County
    By veteran I assume you mean ex-military. If you are ex-military that makes you a citizen. Every citizen should already have that right. If you mean currently serving, then yes it should be mandatory at most times while on duty and in uniform. Out of uniform they are still government property. As such they are not truly free men (not to say they should be unarmed). Do you think the government needs more arms?

It should be mandatory for all citizens to serve in the military. Now that I can get behind.

rangeguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Hagerstown
    I have to disagree with this one. Not all vets are good guys. They are people too that have issues that may not make it safe for them to carry. I think they should apply like everyone else with a waiver for training in the states that require it before they are issued their permit. And I say this as a veteran.

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I would rather it just be a right for everyone vs just a vet. Nothing against Veterans but I would rather see everyone's rights protected.

I know for many states prior military covers your training for CCW. So it's in effect in some places already.

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Understanding both sides of the argument, I must side with reason and say no.

I know a lot of idiots that joined the service to avoid working at McDonalds for the rest of their lives. I think that if they can pass whatever background check /training requirements there are for a state, then they should be allowed to carry without a permit.

As for prior posts, I think that adults (18+) without a record or signs of mental illness should be allowed to carry. Kennesaw, Georgia is a prime example of why every able adult should be given the right (or in this case, requirement) to own a gun.

As for Immigrants and visitors being allowed to carry guns... I am inclined to say no. It is one thing if they have met the time requirement to apply for citizenship (in that case they should be given the opportunity to meet all state mandated requirements in order to carry/own a firearm), and it is another if they have been in the country two months and dont understand how things work.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    Does this include vets who have committed a felony or come back from
    serving with mental/psychological issues?

I am the first one to shake hands with and thank vets when I see them
    out in public, but should they not be subjected to the process which
    deems us as "proper persons?"

This is the reply I was looking for. Agreed.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Understanding both sides of the argument, I must side with reason and say no.

I know a lot of idiots that joined the service to avoid working at McDonalds for the rest of their lives. I think that if they can pass whatever background check /training requirements there are for a state, then they should be allowed to carry without a permit.

As for prior posts, I think that adults (18+) without a record or signs of mental illness should be allowed to carry. Kennesaw, Georgia is a prime example of why every able adult should be given the right (or in this case, requirement) to own a gun.

As for Immigrants and visitors being allowed to carry guns... I am inclined to say no. It is one thing if they have met the time requirement to apply for citizenship (in that case they should be given the opportunity to meet all state mandated requirements in order to carry/own a firearm), and it is another if they have been in the country two months and dont understand how things work.

Permanent residents (immigrants) can ALREADY carry legally a handgun without getting the US citizenship.
    Also it's not required for permanent residents to apply for the US citizenship, you can be a permanent resident all your life and carry legally.

:twocents:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    No.
    While I certainly thank them for their service, ALL Americans are entitled to the SAME rights as free men, whether they were in the military or not.

Last edited:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I believe that everyone (barring people that have certifiable mental issues and/or documented unreformed violent criminal past) should have the right to defend themselves anywhere they are. Having a permit system in place is probably one of the easiest ways to do this. Unfortunately, to be able to screen for mental issues, we either have to wait for the person to get arrested, or give up our right to privacy where medical records are concerned.

As far as treating the veterans as a separate class of citizen, what would you call the way veterans were treated in the 70's? Not too many kids at Mcdonalds have been spit on for wearing their uniform. Even as recently as the late 90's, I have witnessed veterans and active military treated as 2nd class citizens by civilians and police alike. It wasnt until the events of Sept. 11, 2001 that I noticed a dramatic change in the patriotism of the average American.

I personally believe that everyone should be required to give a few years to civil service before they are allowed to call themselves a citizen, or run for political office. Too many in this country today whine about rights and privilege that were given to them, without ever having to work or give up anything in return.
    If this causes offense to anyone, sorry, buthurt not intended. Its just that I believe that the majority has lost touch with the reality of having to work for something, instead of having it handed to them, and this would help solve the problem to a degree.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I said no. My first reason is the same distaste for creating a caste system that others have mentioned. My second reason is that MANY of the vets I know have little to no proficiency with firearms. Many people would find it shocking, but not every job in the military involves kicking down doors or going on sniper missions deep in the jungle. I work with a vet who had never held, let alone fired, a pistol until mine. He was in the Air Force for 6 years.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    An armed society is a polite one or so someone once said.

Everyone should be able to carry without restrictions unless they are proven to have something loose in their head IMO.

Top Bottom