Should your kids have access to their weapons?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I grew up in a gun friendly environment, I think I was around 10-11 when I had an old winchester single barrel hanging on the wall in my bedroom. My father taught me gun responsibility along with safety. My son will be 13 next month, and while he doesnt have any guns (other than his bb guns) in his room, he has been taught the same as I was growing up, and does know where the loaded guns are in the house. I have never had a reason to question his maturity as far as gun safety, and hopefully never will. That said, I do know some children, and many adults, that I wouldnt trust with a wiffle ball bat.

DaveyCrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Bluffton, Indiana
    I think you can tell if a kid is ready for a firearm by the way he carries himself away from firearms. Age can't really decide when he gets a gun.

My brothers, my sister and I got our first cell phones when we were thirteen, so I couldn't imagine my mom allowing us to have a firearm even in the house when we were that young. Right after my 18th birthday about 4 months ago (before firearms deer season) I talked my mom into letting me get a shotgun for hunting. So my mom thought the right age for a firearm for me was 18, which I kept under my head with a trigger lock, unloaded in a padded case.

(BTW, I've come a long way with my mom. I bought an AR15 about a month after the shotgun. One day I came home from a dinner with my friends and she got my attention with "I think a handgun would be a good idea now." She's a proud owner of a S&W SW9VE. :rockwoot:)

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Also my AR is not on my nightstand. I never said that. It is in a closet across the hall ready to rock. The closest is almost never locked and I've run drills in my house. With empty mags of course

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I say it depends on the kid. I have no kids but I do have 2 nieces. One really enjoys shooting and her, my brother and I get together as often as possible to shoot. The other is more the princess and fairy type.

My soon to be younger brother in law is 14 and he thinks he is "gansta" and has already been in trouble with the police more than once. Ive tried to take him under my wing and guide him straight but he wont listen to me either.

I would trust my 8yr old niece with a gun but not my 14yr old soon to be brother in law.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I disagree.

The kids that are morons, are morons because their parents are morons.

At least the ones I know...

This is why there is so much stupidity with the younger generation, not saying im old (28) but more the teenagers and early 20 year olds. They grew up with worthless parents who did not care what they did or how they acted because they acted the same way.

With that being said its all up to the responsible parents if their child should have very close access or any at all to the guns in the house. Every kid is different and have learned in different ways.

I never had a gun in my room, but i knew exactly where the guns and ammo were at IF needed. :biggun:

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Also my AR is not on my nightstand. I never said that. It is in a closet across the hall ready to rock. The closest is almost never locked and I've run drills in my house. With empty mags of course

Honestly this thread really has nothing to do with you personally, it just sparked a question in my mind that I thought I'd ask everyone. You could have an armory in your room and it wouldn't matter to me one bit.

Just fodder for discussion. Will be the same decision you will have to make with your kids one day.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Interesting points from everyone and the majority of the thoughts actually surprised me. My thinking is that while both of my sons are quite used to being around firearms, hunting, shooting, etc, I know the dumbass things I did when I was 15. I have no illusions that my boys will not do the same dumbass things. The last thing I want to provide is access to something that can turn a stupid idea into a life-altering event for the whole family.

As far as giving them a vehicle that can also kill and change lives goes, I'm in 100% agreement. I think 16 is too early for many kids to drive. I also agree that some kids mature much faster than others and can handle the responsibility beautifully.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts!

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    My kid can strip my firearms down faster than me and shoot better as well. I trust him with the #2 key to the safe. I made two. The first is with me. He rocks a WASR 10/63 and an 5906 at night. I figure since I'm a heavy sleeper he can have the good stuff. He sure can use them better than I and that's saying something since he's only been into guns for a year.

boonedock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    DECATUR Co.
    My Kids are 9 and 6...are they ready, NO, do they know the laws of the house? YES. They shoot alot, and enjoy it, but they have been preached to about guns since day one...My neighbors kids, HELL NO...they moved out here from town, play way to much X-box, and think if you get shot you can hit reset...No video games here!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I grew up in a house where guns were on wall, ammo in drawer.
    Was taught early on that even touching gun without permission would result in The End of the World, at least my part of it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Second that one, hookeye. :)

As far as this goes,

A) I think that MosinOwner gets a pass; he has proven to all of us that either he is lying about his age, or he is an EXCEPTIONALLY intelligent 13 year old. Either way, probably ok to have a gun.

B) Every "kid" is different, and some of them stop being kids a lot sooner than others. Like several others have said, I know a couple of 30 and 40 year olds that I wouldn't trust with a BB gun, but I helped my 18 year old cousin pick out his first AK just a few months ago. Granted, he is of legal age, but the age disparity, (and its lack of relation to intelligence and responsibility,) are what I'm attempting to point out here.

The parents are the best people to judge their kids; its unfortunate that so many of them fall into that first category I mentioned above...

I got my first rifle in 2nd grade, was told if I wanted a firearm I couldn't be like other kids. Hell even then I thought that a rather simple choice.

Agree, that a lot of supposed adults shouldn't do certain things.

A lot of them shouldn't own guns, breed.........access the web........be seen outside in daylight.............or hold public office.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I am 18 (I know, a little older than the kids in question), but I keep my gun unloaded next to my bed, with a few bullets in the night stand, just in case I hear anything at night. It's only a .22 but I figure it's better than nothing.

In my personal opinion, I have decided I am ready to defend my families lives should it come to that, and am willing to deal with the consequences of said actions. I feel that if the child in question understands, and is willing to, assume responsibility for actions that may result from using the weapon, then he can go ahead and sleep with it "cocked, locked, and ready to rock."

Just my 0.02

Edit: Little story, we live in a rather upscale neighborhood, however my neighbors were sitting in their living room watching T.V. when their front door was kicked in, the husband (ex-cop), had his handgun ready to, went to investigate, and the intruder took off as soon as they made eye contact. To this day, my parents still don't want a gun. That is why I want to protect my family. Trust me, I understand it's my dads job. But in my eyes, this is the single job he isn't doing to his fullest. Everything else he does above and beyond. But, I don't want my family to become some statistic..

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm 19 and have a loaded Mosin and Ruger that are within 3ft. right now.

At 19 you are not a kid even though you are still young.
    You are over 18 so you're an adult, it's what I said in my earlier post.
    If you do something stupid with a gun YOU go to jail, not your parents, you are judged responsable of your own actions.That's not the case for a kid under 18.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    So this thread here; https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n_was_on_duty_while_you_slept_last_night.html

got me thinking about something. In this thread, Mosinowner, who I understand is 13y/o or so, sleeps with his AR15 ready to rock. I'm curious what others think about this. I'm not saying he shouldn't have it or his parents are wrong, etc. I'm asking because my thinking is that a brain that young is not fully functioning yet and likely not fully capable of making the decisions that will need to be made in the split second when the "bump in the night" happens. Hell,for that matter, I hope MY brain will be able to do it if the time comes.

I'd be very afraid that if my oldest son, who is 15, were allowed access to his guns at night that he may accidentally shoot his little brother, mother, me, whoever.

I'm not sure exactly on Indiana law's view on this, but I'd have to think that I as the parent, would be the one who would pay the price via a trip to the big house. Not to leave out the fact that my son (and me for allowing it) would have to live with that decision the rest of his life.

Not trying to stir up any arguments here, just interested in what others think about the topic. Both my sons have guns that are "theirs", but should they have access to them when sleeping at night? I'm not sure they should, and until they are on their own (or at least 18), they won't.

Thoughts? Go!
    Well, I had access to my Mossberg 12 Ga. - that I had got on my thirteenth birthday. To tell you the truth, I really don't remember even getting it out much. I was too busy on my bike and tearing around the neighborhood to think much about it. I did not allow my kids to have any firearms in their rooms, but they had access to mine in an emergency. I took them shooting so much they got sick of it actually, kinda my way of taking the curious hands off of something that they should not be playing around with. Worked for me.:twocents:

BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    I have no issues with responsible, mature children have guns... Look at the recent stories of children defending themselves and family from intruders.

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I support MosinOwner's decision to protect himself and his family. Plus all that Indiana law that everyone was posting doesn't apply here, as he lives in Texas.

Last edited:

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    "...all that Indiana law crap..." Wow!
    Please understand that both your INGO name, "Shavedforbattle" and your postings will be used against you when you get in legal trouble.

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Shaved for Battle is an album title from a band I like. And I respect and follow all Indiana laws aside from maybe speeding here and there. I will remove the term "crap" from my previous post since I feel it has misrepresented how I truly feel.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom