• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    Looking to get a coyote gun soon but I really don't know what I want. So let me know what u got , why and how much. And don't forget the pic.:postpics:

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had been wanting to get a .243 for a while, and ran across a deal on a new Savage Axis I couldn't pass up. Topped it with a Simmons Whitetail classic 6.5-20x50, Weaver steel rings, picatinny rail, and a Harris bi-pod. Slapped some paint on her to ugly her up. Right around $600 for a rifle that will shoot under 2" @ 200 with the Hornady 95 grainers. Haven't really stretched it out yet, and still need to test more loads.
    243005jpg.jpg

cfgunworks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Clinton Co.
    Custom 6mm-.284 Win. On a FN SPR action with detachable magazine. It has a 28 inch Krieger barrel It's in a Hogue overmold with full length aluminum bedding block. 20 minute picatinny rail, Warne steel rings, and a Sightron SIII 8-32X56mm mil-dot with side focus and turrets. Whole rig for about $2500. As for the why; its accurate, fast, and set up for me to make the longer shots with more consistency. That means more fun.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Will add pics later: Weatherby Vanguard SMOA Varmint in 204 Ruger. Timney Trigger. Sightron Big Sky Optics 3-9x42 with target dot. It's a hair splitter :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I saw a news story this week that they are coming into the city. Pets are disappearing. They are just now seeing them. I saw Coyote in noblesville/castleton area and Brownsburg last summer. We took some shots at the ones in Brownsburg but had to be careful of background. Yeah we missed.
    If they keep snatching up the family pets there will be a bounty soon enough. Problem is , every idiot with a gun will be looking to make a buck.

A-savvy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Anyone know if there are going to put a price on them, about 10 years ago a farmer paid me 5 dollars a-head made some good money.

I've seen ads on craigslist with people asking for Coyotes, offering to pay you for the whole carcass. They make coats and hats out of them or mount them and sell them. But thats all I have seen as far as a price on there heads.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Havent heard of a bounty in many many years but "they" have been buying them for years in Illinois. There is a company that actually has a route to pick up furs. Nearest pick up point I know of is Effingham, IL. Im not sure if they pick up in Indiana or not.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Havent heard of a bounty in many many years but "they" have been buying them for years in Illinois. There is a company that actually has a route to pick up furs. Nearest pick up point I know of is Effingham, IL. Im not sure if they pick up in Indiana or not.

Those must be the outfits that make the boot's my wife has been beating me up about. Every time we go out she mentions wanting a pair of boots made from Coyote. It is tough to get steady head shoots on them at the range we have taken them of late. The animals were a bit mangy this summer as well. No good pelts.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Those must be the outfits that make the boot's my wife has been beating me up about. Every time we go out she mentions wanting a pair of boots made from Coyote. It is tough to get steady head shoots on them at the range we have taken them of late. The animals were a bit mangy this summer as well. No good pelts.
    I can see that drought reall affecting pelts but oddly the ones that i have seen the last couple weeks have really nice pelts. The yotes arent extraordinarily big in the body though.

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Savage Edge .223

This is a pic of the first coyote I shot with this gun. Dropped him at 168 yards. It is topped with a Redfield 4x12x40. Love this gun. Light and accurate out to 200 yards. Haven't shot it any farther.
    Picture9-18-2010.jpg

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Ruger M77 standard barrel in .204 Ruger. Topped with Zeiss 2.5-10 power. It has taken 3 coyotes and 1 red fox thus far. Some say .204 is a bit small for coyotes, it works for me. I would also look at .22-250, .243 and .223 calibers.
    I have run into times that a nice semi auto would have helped, since I was so excited I short stroked the bolt and didnt get a shot on a second coyote.
    picture.php

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    Utah has a $50 bounty on coyotes. Not that it helps you in Indiana but my guess is that if the population is not reduced soon, bounties will be a growing trend in states that have a high number of negative human or pet interactions with coyotes.

Utah puts $50 bounty on coyotes

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ruger M77 standard barrel in .204 Ruger. Topped with Zeiss 2.5-10 power. It has taken 3 coyotes and 1 red fox thus far. Some say .204 is a bit small for coyotes, it works for me. I would also look at .22-250, .243 and .223 calibers.
    I have run into times that a nice semi auto would have helped, since I was so excited I short stroked the bolt and didnt get a shot on a second coyote.
    picture.php

This is why I built up an AR varmint gun. It has worked for multiple shots. You still have to be smooth and patient.

Top Bottom