• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    stock on cheap stuff. accuracy isnt as great but in a SHTF situation you want quantity and they will do what you want them to do

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    All my stocked ammunition is of the FMJ/ball variety.

If SHTF, it won't matter if you are shooting FMJ or JHP as long as you are shooting.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Lots of soldiers lost their lives to lead before jacketed bullets came along. I have some of everything. You can create a nice stash for a little cash using lead, even "plated". If SHTF is your concern, having plenty of componets to roll your own is the way to go.

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Most people laugh at me but for that I stock Wolf AMMO. Yes, it is dirty, but I will not be picking up the brass and I have never had a failure to function with Wolf. Further more it is usually plastic sealed for long term storage and it is cheap. If you can find the metal "sardine" cans that is great too.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Garlique??? LOL

For 45 ACP, I have quite a few 200 LSWC bullets waiting to be loaded in something. I think they will work just fine. .

I have found that particular style cast to be very, very accurate. With the sharp shoulder, it also cuts a large nice hole in paper. I know many worry due to the style it might not be the best feeder, but I have found the OAL that it functions well in my pistols.

For years, I bought and used FMJ - FP's from Hornady in bulk. This was a few years ago when you get get them at a decent price. They have since went into storage and now days I only use that particular style cast. I really need to get into making my own. But for now, I buy them from either Missouri or Dardas.

Often times I play with the idea of selling some of the target factory ammo I do have left and buying more components. In many calibers, I only have factory ammo left in calibers that I use as my EDC. I just feel you can stock so much more for the bucks in the way of components.

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    U have to make sure you're gun will shoot that cheep stuff first. And yes you need something that goes boom everytime you pull the trigger but u also need to hit what you are shooting at. So shoot as much as u can and shoot when others are shooting around you. It is whole nother world when around others and being shot at

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    U have to make sure you're gun will shoot that cheep stuff first. And yes you need something that goes boom everytime you pull the trigger but u also need to hit what you are shooting at. So shoot as much as u can and shoot when others are shooting around you. It is whole nother world when around others and being shot at

This is very true. Its real hard to concentrate when you have shots going off all around you, regardless if it's just friendly fire at a class or incoming projectiles.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I like to dip mine, in PIGS BLOOD !!!!!

I usually go for a silver tip, but to each his own

Anyway, for what type of bullets, I guess it depends on the situation. In my 308, I know a 180gr. round nose as a lot of punch, so let's just say anti vehicle. 168 FMJs are cheap and accurate enough. And 110gr. V-Max EXPLODE.

So, it just depends when the SHTF, how deep in the S are you?

:ar15:

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I basically stock in the ratio of what I shoot. Considering I mainly shoot fmj, thats what I have the most of. I would guess that around 10-15% of my ammo consists of jhp for each caliber while the rest is fmj. If SHTF, I doubt anyone looking down the business end of my weapon will question what type of ammo I have it loaded with.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    +1 for garlic. :) How many times I shoot an intruder in case of SHTF and martial law is none of my concern, anything is something.

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    In a SHTF situation, I think 9mm in any configuration is going to be a stronger commodity then food or money. I'm stocking up on that round for trade purpose "Oh, you need some 9mm?" "Here you go. Now had over your wife."

Top Bottom