• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rideac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    I'm bouncing all over the place trying to figure out which SHTF handgun would be best. I was thinking cz82 at first because ammo is cheap and so is the gun. Looking into it a little bit more though, ammo is equally priced with 9mm and its 1,000x more common, so i ruled that out.

I think that a 9mm would be best for a couple of reasons:
    1. ammo is cheap
    2. ammo availability
    3. 9mm guns hold more rounds

I realize that .40s&w and .45 have more stopping power, but with ammo being more expensive and being able to fire less rounds per mag than 9mm i see the 9mm winning this battle.

But now the question, I'm pretty new to handguns and have only shot a couple. Not sure which 9mm to get. I like the Ruger SR9, but the glock 17 looks appealing as well.

Opinions????:dunno:

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    ill jump in. Get the glock, i just bought my first glock today and im in love. i was a glock hating, 1911-a-holic, but im a changed man now! I debated the calibers too, ive decided i dont feel undergunned with any of the 3 calibers, a good hollow point will make anyone's day bad. Shot placement is key, so if you can train more with 9mm than you would with the other two more expensive calibers thats a positive. I have no experience with the SR9 but a buddy likes his, thats anecdotal and means nothing though. Maybe consider the CZ75, its got a big following. I would recommend cruising google to really know the weapons pro's and con's, consider parts availability, and additional costs of owning a weapon such as accessories or trouble shooting and repair.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Buy a Glock 22 or a 23 in 40 S&W.
    Then buy the Lone Wolf 9mm barrel for it and some 9mm mags.
    When everything goes upside down, you never know what ammo will be available.

rideac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Buy a Glock 22 or a 23 in 40 S&W.
    Then buy the Lone Wolf 9mm barrel for it and some 9mm mags.
    When everything goes upside down, you never know what ammo will be available.

thats a really good idea. i'll look into this asap. thanks. could you do this with the SR9 and SR40 as well? does anyone know

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    You may also want to look into the springfield XDM 9. It's a comfortable gun to shoot, and If I remember right they hold around 18 rnds. I'm pretty sure big r has them on sale for like $450, assuming you have one around

rideac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    How does:

"Buy a Glock and an extra barrel and extra mags"

answer the question of:

"I need a 9mm on a budget"?

haha good point. having the ability to shoot two calibers in 1 gun though might compensate for the budget overage, but I'm not totally sure. maybe just 9mm would be optimal.

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Go with what points and feels the best in your hands. I'm a big glock fan, I have a few and thay have never failed. CZ are some of best pistols ever made, just go with what you want not what every else wants you two get.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I'm bouncing all over the place trying to figure out which SHTF handgun would be best. I was thinking cz82 at first because ammo is cheap and so is the gun. Looking into it a little bit more though, ammo is equally priced with 9mm and its 1,000x more common, so i ruled that out.

I think that a 9mm would be best for a couple of reasons:
    1. ammo is cheap
    2. ammo availability
    3. 9mm guns hold more rounds

I realize that .40s&w and .45 have more stopping power, but with ammo being more expensive and being able to fire less rounds per mag than 9mm i see the 9mm winning this battle.

But now the question, I'm pretty new to handguns and have only shot a couple. Not sure which 9mm to get. I like the Ruger SR9, but the glock 17 looks appealing as well.

Opinions????:dunno:

I was thinking the same thing, I pick the CZ 75, cause it fit my hand great & it's very accurate, you can shoot lead bullets out of it:twocents:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Depending on the budget (different meaning for everyone), you could go hi point. You could easily have the 9mm and .40 (most likely a .380 or a .45 as well) for the price of a Glock. They might be ugly but if the quality is there (and some say that it definitely is), it is a viable option for those truly on a budget. I wouldn't mind picking up the C9 as a truck gun. I do have a CZ 82, a Glock 27, a Sistema 1927 (Argentinian Colt .45), a S&W 686, and several others but I'd rather have something less expensive if it is going to get scuffed up.

For a true SHTF, you could do a combo of the 9mm carbine and a 9mm hi point pistol. If you can find hi points used, it is a real good deal for a budget SHTF handgun or even as a truck gun.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    What exactly do you mean by a SHTF gun? As far as handguns go my SHTF handgun is my EDC since that is what I train with the most. Sure I have other handguns that I could use, but I want the one that I am most familiar with in a true SHTF situation. Just my :twocents:

If you are wanting something cheap that you can keep somewhere else then I have been 100% happy with HiPoints and the Sigma would not be bad either for the price. 9mm would be a good choice like you said. If this will be in addition to your EDC though I would try to keep the calibers the same. Also, what is your opinion of on a budget? I am a Glock guy so I would say the G17 is a great choice. :D Good luck with your decision.

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    For a SHTF pistol, you want something as common as possible, reliable as possible, and simple as possible, in the most common handgun caliber. That is probably the Glock 19, 9mm. If I sold every gun in my stable, and could only keep one, it would be the Glock 19. I have other pistols that I enjoy shooting more, and other pistols that are better looking. But the G19 is kind of a standard, with parts very inexpensive and readily available.

If you are patient, you can usually find a used Glock for less than $400. While that might not exactly be "budget," you are getting a proven design with an excellent reputation that will last for years.

I wouldn't go the G23/conversion barrel route if I were you. Focus on stocking up on one caliber, and you don't need to worry about ammo availability.

If you absolutely can't afford a Glock, then I'd go with a Ruger P95 in 9mm. They are usually around $300 new, built like tanks, and have a good reputation for reliability. I'd pick a P95 over a S&W Sigma (SW9VE), which has probably the worst trigger on a polymer gun that I've ever felt.

:twocents:

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'd consider the Bersa 9HC. It's a great gun and is reasonably priced. It also is high capacity at 17+1. Also worth considering is the EAA Witness. It's a CZ 75 clone that is very well priced.

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have to agree with Hoosier9, if you are truly on a budget and looking for a rough and rugged SHTF pistol ( which is going to be a back up to your rifle hopefully in that scenario) I would go with the P series Ruger. I have a P93DC and a S&W Sigma series .40 and the Ruger trigger is way smoother. I do like the Sigma, but like it was stated above the factory trigger sucks. I actually did the "trigger fix" on mine so it is decent now. If you can squeeze an extra $150 out of your budget the optimal pistol is the Glock hands down. I personally have the G30 .45 caliber, but the 9mm ammo is readily available and less expensive so if that's a feasible option go that route. If money is too tight you can get that Ruger P series or S&W Sigma used for around $200 or new for under $300. Hope that helps a little. :twocents:

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I think you have to ask yourself what exactly SHTF means to you and what kind of ammo you're thinking about stocking. What is the job that you need this tool to perform?

When people think about 9mm for a SD handgun, they typically think SD ammo...which typically isn't cheap. If you're factoring in the price of 9mm FMJ ammo, I'm not really sure that is what you want to be using in a SHTF scenario. 9mm is popular because it's cheap to practice with, it's not necessarily an inexpensive caliber for defensive use.

I haven't done the research, but maybe .45 FMJ would be the most "cost effective" option (depending on what "cost" and "effective" mean to you) if you're talking about stocking an effective round that won't bankrupt you. If you're looking at stocking JHP rounds, the economics of handgun calibers tend to even out.

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    The best SHTF handgun is one you are proficient with. As for your budget I would suggest saving a little longer and getting the firearm you really want. If you are already looking at it as a budgetary issue. Your probably not going to be purchasing multiple handguns. Better to get one that you are going to be happy with for the next 10 years. Then get some training and reloading equipment so you can shoot on the cheap.

My go to gun if concealing isn't an issue would be my XDM 40. Simply because I have the most magazines for it. I also have a holster that it fits in. My CZ 75 would be my choice but only 2 mags.

Top Bottom