• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    I know people are going to be pushing on you what brand that THEY think is the best, but ultimately you need to find what gun FITS YOU the best. Glocks don't fit everyone. Berettas don't fit everyone. 1911s don't fit everyone. You see where I'm going here.

1: Fit
    2: Reliability
    3: Ability (too shoot)

So you need to get in and wrap your hand around as many handguns (auto-loaders and revolvers) as you can and decide what is the best FIT for you! The best gun for you is the one that Fits, is reliable and you have the ability to shoot.

You can get used Glocks for $300-350, a new Sig P250 for around $350, new Stoeger Cougar (Beretta 8000) for $399, Ruger Auto-loaders and revolver. That's just to name a few in the sub $400 range.

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    I think you have to ask yourself what exactly SHTF means to you and what kind of ammo you're thinking about stocking. What is the job that you need this tool to perform?

When people think about 9mm for a SD handgun, they typically think SD ammo...which typically isn't cheap. If you're factoring in the price of 9mm FMJ ammo, I'm not really sure that is what you want to be using in a SHTF scenario. 9mm is popular because it's cheap to practice with, it's not necessarily an inexpensive caliber for defensive use.

I haven't done the research, but maybe .45 FMJ would be the most "cost effective" option (depending on what "cost" and "effective" mean to you) if you're talking about stocking an effective round that won't bankrupt you. If you're looking at stocking JHP rounds, the economics of handgun calibers tend to even out.

Generally speaking, 9mm ammo is cheaper than other service calibers, regardless of the type of bullet. I use Federal HST 124 grain +P, and it is always a couple dollars cheaper a box than .40, and $8-10 cheaper than .45! For FMJ ammo, Federal 115 grain at Wal-Mart is $10.47 a box, vs $14.97 a box for 40 caliber, and $16.97 a box for .45 ACP. For 1000 rounds, 9mm is $90 cheaper than 40 S&W.

As far as effectiveness goes, I'd be just fine with my AR and a Glock 19 loaded with FMJ ammo if I run out of JHP ammo. Of course, if I run out of JHP ammo, things are really bad. I've got a LOT of JHP ammo in 9mm. Anyway, the rifle/carbine and shotgun are the weapons to rely on for defensive use in a SHTF situation, with the pistol only a backup weapon.

Although it's best to use a good JHP round in any defensive handgun, 9mm ball (FMJ) ammo is not an ineffective round that tickles those who get shot with it:

GunWeek.com

Special operations units and just about every military in the world uses 9mm for their issued pistols. It does just fine. Shot placement is the key.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    All pistol calibers suck. If you are worried about SHTF choose a rifle or shotgun.
    Well hell! I got quite a few useless weapons laying around then. Maybe I need to list a bunch of stuff on the INGO classifieds.

C'mon, that's totally out of context with the OPs question! Sure, if SHTF I'd rather have an AK or 870 than my compact .45, but that aint what the OP is asking.

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Well, for a budget ($300 or less for me), you can get a soild pocket gun of varying calibers. Other choices are an ok full size pistol, like Hi-point, or look around INGO Classifieds. Great deals there.

Top Bottom