• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    i have already figured out my SHTF gun which is an AR15 that hopefully ill be putting a 20" upper on here pretty soon. but heres my question. is it better to have a red dot or a scope? here is my mission...if something does happen me and my family are moving locations to our cabin. and we would want to protect it because its alot of land and great resources. to protect it properly id have to take shots out to 400 yards and in...

ive thought about doing this...putting a decent scope and mount on the top and then putting canted sites for the closer stuff.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    i have already figured out my SHTF gun which is an AR15 that hopefully ill be putting a 20" upper on here pretty soon. but heres my question. is it better to have a red dot or a scope? here is my mission...if something does happen me and my family are moving locations to our cabin. and we would want to protect it because its alot of land and great resources. to protect it properly id have to take shots out to 400 yards and in...

ive thought about doing this...putting a decent scope and mount on the top and then putting canted sites for the closer stuff.

I have both, A AIMPOINT 2X & a 3-9X40 scope just make sure you have quick-detach rings:yesway:

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    thats why im trying to figure out though. i want to be able to reach out to get them before they too close but if they do get close id want to be able to switch out fast

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    thats why im trying to figure out though. i want to be able to reach out to get them before they too close but if they do get close id want to be able to switch out fast

The fastest switch is another gun;) I have AR-15 with 16 inch barrel for close range & AR-15 with 24 inch barrel for longer range:rockwoot:

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    itd be nice to have 2 AR's but im a broke college student lol.

has anybody ever had any expierence with the canted sights?

can a red dot reach out to 400 yards?

Last edited:

thompbarn

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    Clearly price is an issue on this thread. If it wasn't, I'd recommend an Elcan 1-4x Spectre DR. Move from 1x to 4x with a flick of the lever. Or go with an Eotech with 3x magnifier (or Aimpoint) with a flip to the side mount. Any of these can easily reach out to 400 yards.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    yea price is a big thing for me. i have 2 jobs this summer so i might be able to save up. i really like the canted sights but they are 230 bucks :eek:

ive looked into the optics with magnifiers and i cant be putting out 600 bucks. if all else fails i could do primary arms with their magnifiers. but then again id be atleast 230 and would rather have the canted sights with a scope

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    check out the new vortex viper pst. 1-4x with a very nice reticle and very bright illumination, its day practical for sure. they can be had for 400 used to 490 new shipped. they have very nice glass, good illumination, good reticle, exposed target turrets, a zero stop, true 1x on the lower end (this makes it a red dot basically), amazing company, unbeatable warranty. as far as shtf once the batteries run out (though they do have a 5-10 year shelf life) you have a etched reticle to continue to use. where as once the batteries run out of your aimpoints/red dots your just have a paper weight. as far as price and quality go you can't beat the vortex viper pst. if you can save up a couple hundred more the super sniper 1-4 is where its at. just a hair better imo but worth the extra coin.

i had no problem making hits on targets out to 500 w/ a m68 aimpoint in the army and also had no problems running a acog out to 700-800 yards in training and real life in afghanistan. so either option will work for you but i think what i listed above will be your best bet with out a doubt.

MeatyBacchus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    I know you're trying to not spend to much money, but it sounds like you need to try to find a used ACOG.

I'd then make sure that you get sights that you could cowitness.

Shooter1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Tennyson "Warrick CO"
    Use open sights on your gun. It is very easy to shoot a man target at 600 yds using open sights with practice! I dont trust acogs but I run a tao1nsn which fell apart brand new under 200 rds. Trijicons customer service sucks but replaced it, but I havent shot many rounds through it since fixed.. You will not be happy with a red dot on a full size gun. Prolly wont be happy with a standard scope either since your setting it up tactical.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    How about a Burris AR-332? It's like a poor-man's acog. If you shop around [ame="http://www.google.com/search?q=Burris+AR-332&tbs=shop%3A1&aq=f"](http://www.google.com/search?q=Burris+AR-332&tbs=shop%3A1&aq=f)[/ame] you can find them for about $260.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Use open sights on your gun. It is very easy to shoot a man target at 600 yds using open sights with practice! I dont trust acogs but I run a tao1nsn which fell apart brand new under 200 rds. Trijicons customer service sucks but replaced it, but I havent shot many rounds through it since fixed.. You will not be happy with a red dot on a full size gun. Prolly wont be happy with a standard scope either since your setting it up tactical.
    Open sights, or even a cheap scope if you need to see closer. If I am 400yards away and someone starts shooting at me, I am looking for easier targets and moving on.

Top Bottom