• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Optics break. Batteries die. Then what?

Screw optics. Learn to hit what you want when you want out to 500 yards with iron sights. Then only shoot what you need out to 200 yards.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Don't know if it makes any difference to you, but serious 3-gun competitors seem to be using the scope/off-set sight system to good advantage. In your particular case, you are going to have to balance your visual acuity, your ranges of intended use, your basic marksmanship abilities, and your budget/pocketbook.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    that is true... one reason id like to go scope and canted sights

irons is all i shoot as of now... which is why canted makes sense for me

Have you looked at just a co-witness BUIS set up? Much easier to use than canted sights.

Canted sights are for use in games when you are not allowed to use a scope. A co-witness set up allows a scope and regular shooting position to use the sights. Again just my :twocents:

Edit: kinda sounds like you are looking for more than just 1x magnification which would render my idea about just having a co-witness invalid.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I meant if I was a bad guy coming up on your position and you start shooting at me from 400 yards that I would move on.

If I was a bad guy coming up on your position and you started shooting at me from 400 yards I would move on until I came back later and killed you later when you weren't expecting it. If you have something so worthwhile you would give away your position 400 yards away it would probably be something I wanted.

Good thing I'm not a bad guy.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    IMHO there is no other optic better suited for this purpose than an acog. once the scope is zeroed it is damned near impossible to knock it out of alinment. my M4 flew out of a hmvee after a blast at 40 MPH and slid along the pavement. picked it up dusted it off and checked zero which was still spot on. there are several acogs out there some better than others. i reccomend the ta31 and no other. if you cannot practice enough to learn how to use it close in and fast then you can put a reddot on top of it or use canted sights as well.

i dont think anything that runs on batteries is a viable option for SHTF since you never really know how long its going to last or how many batteries you will actually need. the acog will be illuminated for over 20 years w/out batteries.

i suggest you find somebody w/ one of these and put some rounds through it before you look at other options. you get what you pay for and in SHTF there is no room for cheap equipment.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I would go RDS with Magnification.

Also, Cowitnessing. If your RDS fails, flip up your BUIS sights and rock and roll.

Keep extra batteries in the rifle, but train with your irons often.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'll throw another option out to you, and you can take it or leave it. On my go-to gun I have a burris 2-7x with ballistic plex. It's an inexpensive scope, that gives you hold over points for different distances out to 500 yards. It's the "long range shooting for dummies" reticle, but I want it nice and simple in case I really have to use it. On 2x it's fast, and if I need to shoot farther I'll have plenty of time to turn the scope to 7x and use the dash marks. If you don't want to pay for an Acog, it's something to consider.

I also have a 20" AR and with open sights shooting out to 500 yards isn't an issue. It's actually probably more fun to shoot those distances with irons than it is with a scope. If you're worried about SHTF, you need to man up and train to shoot to 500 yards with irons. No excuses, just do it and know that you can do it, then when you have a scope you'll be that much better of a shot and you'll be better enabled to protect your family.

Top Bottom