• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I live near one of the areas hit by the tornados Thursday night. Near enough that we were without power for about 24 hours, and I don't know when I've heard so many sirens in all directions. We were very lucky to have no damage at our place, we just lost power, internet, and even cell service for a while.

When the power was still off the next morning, we had instant coffee with the camp stove. With two freezers full of food, and water rising in the crawl space, I got out my generator. I hadn't run it for almost a year and the battery was dead, so I had to steal the battery out of my grandson's gator. Hooked up the battery, added fresh gas, opened the gas valve, crossed my fingers, and hit the starter. I was almost surprised when it started right up. I ran extension cords to the sump pump, freezers, and the inside fridge/freezer. I was glad to see that there was no melting in the freezers after 12 hours, but I did have a good bit of water under my house from the heavy rain.

Two years ago, I had installed a plug on the outside of my house, with plans to have an electrician wire it in to my breaker box. The electrician never got back with me and I planned to do it myself, but never did. So, since I had all the stuff and the power was off anyway, I figured I might as well get it done. I did already have the 30 amp 240V breaker, and an interlock plate installed, so all I had to do was fish the wire from the breaker box a couple of feet through the outside wall to my outside plug and connect it up. I also had to move one single-pole breaker to the bottom of the row to make room at the top for the big one. I'm not an electrician, but I've watched a lot of Youtube videos, and I had my Black & Decker Home Wiring book from Lowes, so you know, just as good. I worked slow, and double-checked all of my connections. Really, the hardest part was fishing the heavy wire through the wall.

The interlock plate requires that you flip the main breaker off before you can flip the generator breaker on, which is good. After I was done, I got out my thick 240V cable and connected that from the generator to the house plug and switched it on, after switching off the breakers that I didn't want on, like the water heater and dryer. It's way nicer with the whole-house plug, not having a bunch of extension cords going through doorways, and you can turn lights on when you need them, and the TV would have worked if the cable wasn't also out.

Anyway, I figured I'd post this thread since it's situations like this one that really drive home the need for prepping, for me. After a two-week long power outage in 1995 I had decided never to be so unprepared again, and still yet here I was not as prepared as I could have and should have been. I need to take my lessons where I can get them, and try to learn something.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I live near one of the areas hit by the tornados Thursday night. Near enough that we were without power for about 24 hours, and I don't know when I've heard so many sirens in all directions. We were very lucky to have no damage at our place, we just lost power, internet, and even cell service for a while.

When the power was still off the next morning, we had instant coffee with the camp stove. With two freezers full of food, and water rising in the crawl space, I got out my generator. I hadn't run it for almost a year and the battery was dead, so I had to steal the battery out of my grandson's gator. Hooked up the battery, added fresh gas, opened the gas valve, crossed my fingers, and hit the starter. I was almost surprised when it started right up. I ran extension cords to the sump pump, freezers, and the inside fridge/freezer. I was glad to see that there was no melting in the freezers after 12 hours, but I did have a good bit of water under my house from the heavy rain.

Two years ago, I had installed a plug on the outside of my house, with plans to have an electrician wire it in to my breaker box. The electrician never got back with me and I planned to do it myself, but never did. So, since I had all the stuff and the power was off anyway, I figured I might as well get it done. I did already have the 30 amp 240V breaker, and an interlock plate installed, so all I had to do was fish the wire from the breaker box a couple of feet through the outside wall to my outside plug and connect it up. I also had to move one single-pole breaker to the bottom of the row to make room at the top for the big one. I'm not an electrician, but I've watched a lot of Youtube videos, and I had my Black & Decker Home Wiring book from Lowes, so you know, just as good. I worked slow, and double-checked all of my connections. Really, the hardest part was fishing the heavy wire through the wall.

The interlock plate requires that you flip the main breaker off before you can flip the generator breaker on, which is good. After I was done, I got out my thick 240V cable and connected that from the generator to the house plug and switched it on, after switching off the breakers that I didn't want on, like the water heater and dryer. It's way nicer with the whole-house plug, not having a bunch of extension cords going through doorways, and you can turn lights on when you need them, and the TV would have worked if the cable wasn't also out.

Anyway, I figured I'd post this thread since it's situations like this one that really drive home the need for prepping, for me. After a two-week long power outage in 1995 I had decided never to be so unprepared again, and still yet here I was not as prepared as I could have and should have been. I need to take my lessons where I can get them, and try to learn something.
    Good job getting things setup. Electrical wirering really is so very simple. When it comes to 220, it's just 2 110v circuits. I haven't had to use a generator in over 15 years. The last time i used my 8700watt generac i just plugged it into an outside outlet after flipping the main and all breakers off. Then flipped what i wanted to power on. Gen was running a lil rough so afterwards i cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel tank grommet and filter shutoff valve. It hasn't been started in all these years. Luckily even being an electric start15hp engine, it also has the pull start too. 2 years ago i bought a 4000watt older gen with tecumseh engine for $15, fixed it and it runs perfect...it just sits. The gf is always blowing me crap about getting rid of crap i Dont use...well, what if i need something and don't have it anymore.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The interlock switch is amazing. I've ran our whole house (heat pump and a/c) for a multi day outage on our 13kw generator (installed it all myself). Even picked up a spare 13kw when it was on sale for $900.

Glad to hear you got it figured out and up and running.

IMG_6502 - Copy.jpeg
    Here's my DIY Interlock. I looked at the one made for my breaker box on Amazon, made up a paper template, and traced it on some aluminum from an old road sign. You can't turn on the generator breaker until you flip off the main and raise the plate. It was made easier because I had converted my stove to gas a few years back and didn't need the 240V breaker for that anymore.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    View attachment 340312
    Here's my DIY Interlock. I looked at the one made for my breaker box on Amazon, made up a paper template, and traced it on some aluminum from an old road sign. You can't turn on the generator breaker until you flip off the main and raise the plate. It was made easier because I had converted my stove to gas a few years back and didn't need the 240V breaker for that anymore.
    That looks exactly like the Amazon ones, well done!

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    View attachment 340312
    That's awesome, I made mine too cause I thought $100 was absurd for a piece of metal. Admittedly yours looks way better than mine.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene

Late last spring we had a severe storm do huge damage to houses, trees and power distribution. Our power was out about seven hours but some of our neighbors were out over a week. Got a 12,000kw generator and I installed the plug in and interlock my self no big deal. House is all electric so found out it won't quite run the furnace. Turn on furnace and it lugs it way down for about 1 or 2 minutes then it will shut down. We do have an electric fireplace it will run and a couple electric space heaters that put out a good amount of heat and if necessary I have a good kerosene heater. The generator does run the A/C and all the summer stuff so good enough. Jim.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I live in an area where we have been out of power for 8 days, during an ice storm and sub-freezing temps the entire period. Our road was literally closed to all traffic for nearly 3 days as the county plow truck slid into a ditch and no equipment could get to us. Generator is literally a life saver.

Typically during an 'average year' we lose power for about 5 days, but usually in 8 to 36 hour intervals. Never had a repeat of 8 days. We have had a few 3 day events in our 29 years living here.

Cell service out here, at the time, was close to non-existent. On a good clear day you could climb to the top of the ridge and sometimes get "1 bar" of signal. Good enough to TEXT, not good enough to call. Over time at least 1 more tower was added, we now get "2 bars" and a signal inside our home.

Internet out here is off a tower that is line-of-sight to my rooftop antenna. Neither is it super fast, nor is it reliable. But it is that or Starlink, which is far more expensive.

I use a SPOT X 2 way satellite communicator. Got it for back country hiking and motorcycle trips. Literally sends text messages directly to a satellite. Also can send my location (within an accuracy of 6 feet) and call out an SOS.

We have food, 2 wells, 2 generators, etc.

Last edited:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Late last spring we had a severe storm do huge damage to houses, trees and power distribution. Our power was out about seven hours but some of our neighbors were out over a week. Got a 12,000kw generator and I installed the plug in and interlock my self no big deal. House is all electric so found out it won't quite run the furnace. Turn on furnace and it lugs it way down for about 1 or 2 minutes then it will shut down. We do have an electric fireplace it will run and a couple electric space heaters that put out a good amount of heat and if necessary I have a good kerosene heater. The generator does run the A/C and all the summer stuff so good enough. Jim.

Jim,
    If you add a soft start (~$350) to your outdoor unit, your generator will run your heat pump and a/c - just not the electric heat.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Jim,
    If you add a soft start (~$350) to your outdoor unit, your generator will run your heat pump and a/c - just not the electric heat.
    Not a heat pump, straight furnace and A/C unit so the furnace grabs a whole lot of juice. The generator does run the A/C fine but I do plan to install a soft start on the outside unit this spring. I do not know much about them except they do help start the A/C. Is there a way to do the same for the furnace? If there is such a thing I will look into getting one for the heat also. Jim.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I also use a whole house interlock kit but mine is from the panel manufacturer. There are NEC rules to follow that if you don't is a quick and easy way for the insurance company to deny claims related to your electric service. Putting home made interlocks on a panel that doesn't meet UL or MET listing requirements is a recipe for disaster. It probably won't be an issue, until it is.

Being able to take the panel cover off and back feed the grid is not legal. The interlock has to prevent you from being able to do this and prevent you from taking the back feeding breaker out and your panel manufacturer has a kit that will satisfy this requirement. The $18 kits on amazon/ebay are not safe.

https://www.geninterlock.com/interlock-kits/siemens/ Has many kits that are MET certified and probably one for your specific panel.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Not a heat pump, straight furnace and A/C unit so the furnace grabs a whole lot of juice. The generator does run the A/C fine but I do plan to install a soft start on the outside unit this spring. I do not know much about them except they do help start the A/C. Is there a way to do the same for the furnace? If there is such a thing I will look into getting one for the heat also. Jim.
    So your furnace is 100% electric, like an electric dryer?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    If you're talking the big wattage drawing electric heat strips, no, the portable generator doesn't put out enough juice for that.

The soft start helps with the surge as it starts up.

My last house was a natural gas furnace with a/c and a 9500 gen ran it all...

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I also use a whole house interlock kit but mine is from the panel manufacturer. There are NEC rules to follow that if you don't is a quick and easy way for the insurance company to deny claims related to your electric service. Putting home made interlocks on a panel that doesn't meet UL or MET listing requirements is a recipe for disaster. It probably won't be an issue, until it is.

Being able to take the panel cover off and back feed the grid is not legal. The interlock has to prevent you from being able to do this and prevent you from taking the back feeding breaker out and your panel manufacturer has a kit that will satisfy this requirement. The $18 kits on amazon/ebay are not safe.

https://www.geninterlock.com/interlock-kits/siemens/ Has many kits that are MET certified and probably one for your specific panel.
    I read your attachment and I remain content with my setup. My intent wasn’t to tell anyone what they should or shouldn’t do, just to show what I had done. We all have differing comfort levels when it comes to the upgrade, repair, and preventative maintenance of our home infrastructure. If one of the INGO professionals would tell me that my setup was unsafe because I used the wrong sized wire, an improper breaker, or that I had connected it incorrectly, I would definitely take that seriously. But, the thought that my house may burn down and that my insurance company would decline coverage because my breaker panel cover is removable, as is every other residential breaker panel, or that the generator breaker isn’t equipped with a permanent fastening device, isn’t something I’m worried about.

Last edited:

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I read your attachment and I remain content with my setup. My intent wasn’t to tell anyone what they should or shouldn’t do, just to show what I had done. We all have differing comfort levels when it comes to the upgrade, repair, and preventative maintenance of our home infrastructure. If one of the INGO professionals would tell me that my setup was unsafe because I used the wrong sized wire, an improper breaker, or that I had connected it incorrectly, I would definitely take that seriously. But, the thought that my house may burn down and that my insurance company would decline coverage because my breaker panel cover is removable, as is every other residential breaker panel, or that the generator breaker isn’t equipped with a permanent fastening device, isn’t something I’m worried about.
    You can do what you want to your house. It's your property and if you're comfortable with it, keep doing it. I'm telling others not to do what you did because it isn't safe and doesn't meet any version of the NEC. Some people don't open the action of their gun when crossing a fence, that's their choice but I'll open it to be safe. The panel cover is designed to come off, but when it does the interlock must remain on the breakers to keep them from being flipped back to feeding the main service, yours doesn't meet that requirement and therefore doesn't meet code. Regardless of whatever it does when the cover is on, the cover comes off, your interlock must remain on to protect the linemen. You connected it incorrectly even if you don't think it's unsafe to operate. Again, do what you want, it's your house, but documenting a code violation and showing it isn't smart and others shouldn't treat your setup as correct even though it functions.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    You can do what you want to your house. It's your property and if you're comfortable with it, keep doing it. I'm telling others not to do what you did because it isn't safe and doesn't meet any version of the NEC. Some people don't open the action of their gun when crossing a fence, that's their choice but I'll open it to be safe. The panel cover is designed to come off, but when it does the interlock must remain on the breakers to keep them from being flipped back to feeding the main service, yours doesn't meet that requirement and therefore doesn't meet code. Regardless of whatever it does when the cover is on, the cover comes off, your interlock must remain on to protect the linemen. You connected it incorrectly even if you don't think it's unsafe to operate. Again, do what you want, it's your house, but documenting a code violation and showing it isn't smart and others shouldn't treat your setup as correct even though it functions.
    It didn't get noted last year when I sold my last house, that had a very similar interlock...

Let's be honest, 90%+ of homeowners will never take their breaker panel cover off...

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I respectfully disagree with your characterization of my setup as unsafe. It might be unsafe if I removed the breaker panel cover while the panel was charged, but it is not unsafe if I continue to operate it correctly. Using your analogy, it would be unsafe for you to ever cross a fence with your gun because it has not been fixed with a device that would prevent you from putting a round in the chamber.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    You can disagree all you want with my characterization of your panel but facts are facts and it’s not legal because it doesn’t meet NEC. Do what you want. I won’t stop you. I just want others to know there is a correct way of doing it and it may cost $80 instead of $7 in aluminum signs and screws.

If you want to continue with my fence crossing analogy you can put a chamber flag in. Or a cable lock. Your panel can’t be fitted with a lock to prevent backfeeding.

I’m well aware that most people will never open their panel. Most people will never open their drywall and look for fire blocking but it still must be there. The interlock isn’t there to protect you, it’s to protect linemen.

For arguments sake I hope this generates some interest from an electrician or equivalent so they can chime in and settle it rather than us disagreeing with each other.

Top Bottom