• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I take it in and out but, whenever I am going anywhere more than a couple miles from home, I bring my AR with a few extra mags... When I get home, it goes back where it goes...

sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle
    My Hi-Point is fugly, even more so by the home brew paint job the last owner did on it. I hate the low capacity mags. I like the trigger OK. Decent enough accuracy at least to 25 yards or so open sights. Haven't stretched out any distance yet. The prices are nice. Could get one, test fire it and dump it in the trunk or wherever and know it is there waiting for you.

I would never buy a Storm just because of the price. I think they are a bit on the homely side as well. I did carry a pistol grip shotty in my car for years. Always there, never a problem.

Now we get back to what you consider SHTF. What are you thinking you will come up against on your journey home? Zombies (undead version) can be easily dispatched with a nice .22 rifle at a decent distance. Zombies (not undead version) can be taken with a .22 as well, but a little better firepower could be useful.

Are you thinking of just a spray and pray type scene? Keep shooting to keep heads down until you get to a better place? Do you think it will be gangs of thugs coming toward you or just a guy bent on a little mayhem?

I have a spare pistol in my GHB. I always (with few exceptions) have my EDC on me as well. I also have a spare revolver in the truck. It is ugly. Accurate enough at close range. Blows fire a mile wide it seems, but I always know it is there.

In a scenario where I am forced to abandon the vehicle I will grab the bag and the spare pistol as well. I will then head toward the nearest safe looking ditch and be as quiet as I can while making a beeline toward the house or a cache.

This is just for a SHTF scenario that sneaks up on me. If I knew it was happening already I would break out the gear I have at home and head out prepared. This is because I would only leave the safe house if I absolutely had to. Maybe a family member or friend is trapped and needs an evac.

Whoops, got way off topic here. Sorry for that. Back to OP, I like my Hi-Point. It is cheap and if I scratch it who would notice anyhow?

Um... zombies are fun to think about :) but I geuss I'm just thinking more of a situation where I will need to be armed and have to walk home, possibly defending myself from mult people... I've thought about a second handgun but didn't want to spend much.

sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I've thought about a second handgun but didn't want to spend much.

So you figure your life isn't worth much then??? :dunno:

Why not go with a pump shotgun w/ folding stock. Compact, firepower, and intimidating.

No matter what firearm you decide on, you ought to be buying more ammo then the gun cost. Practice is more important then just having the gun in the trunk.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Um... zombies are fun to think about :) but I guess I'm just thinking more of a situation where I will need to be armed and have to walk home, possibly defending myself from mult people... I've thought about a second handgun but didn't want to spend much.

Zombies are among us right now... they just don't happen to be the walking dead. If you have to defend yourself from someone whom you didn't attack then you just met a zombie. If you see a group of people who are ransacking the area for fun then you just saw a group of zombies.

They are no longer people if they are doing this. They are the walking dead if I can't get away to safety.

If you don't have much to spend... start saving a little. Buy the .22 that was mentioned earlier. They are cheap and cheap to shoot. I am getting a case of 5k plus for $160 shipped. Beats the $200 I just spent on over a thousand 7.62x39 rounds. Not as powerful, but if you are just getting started then what can it hurt? Instead of another pistol, why not extra ammo and mags for your EDC? Load them and leave them. You are already familiar with the gun, so that is an advantage.

Just wanted to clarify the zombie term from my perspective. Best of luck on deciding the direction to go. It is tough and ever changing.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    FWIW, I had a sub2000 in .40cal Glock. Kept it in a paintball marker bag in the back of my car. The trigger was manageable, but the front sight was pretty fragile. I ended up selling it so I could buy a WASR. If my situation is such that my EDC pistol isn't adequate, I want a rifle-caliber rifle with me.

sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle
    FWIW, I had a sub2000 in .40cal Glock. Kept it in a paintball marker bag in the back of my car. The trigger was manageable, but the front sight was pretty fragile. I ended up selling it so I could buy a WASR. If my situation is such that my EDC pistol isn't adequate, I want a rifle-caliber rifle with me.

I was thinking about a wasr... I know they are affordable, something ill put more thought into.

Zombies are among us right now... they just don't happen to be the walking dead. If you have to defend yourself from someone whom you didn't attack then you just met a zombie. If you see a group of people who are ransacking the area for fun then you just saw a group of zombies.

They are no longer people if they are doing this. They are the walking dead if I can't get away to safety.

If you don't have much to spend... start saving a little. Buy the .22 that was mentioned earlier. They are cheap and cheap to shoot. I am getting a case of 5k plus for $160 shipped. Beats the $200 I just spent on over a thousand 7.62x39 rounds. Not as powerful, but if you are just getting started then what can it hurt? Instead of another pistol, why not extra ammo and mags for your EDC? Load them and leave them. You are already familiar with the gun, so that is an advantage.

Just wanted to clarify the zombie term from my perspective. Best of luck on deciding the direction to go. It is tough and ever changing.

I like that perspective!! And I'm definatly leaning twords extra mags in a ghb... or a wasr haha, who knows what ill do.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I can't imagine anyone planning to walk anywhere carrying a 8 or 9 pound rifle. Well, maybe people who've never walked anywhere carrying a rifle.

My GF can walk several miles over broken terrain with an M1 Garand and a 10-pocket cartridge belt on suspenders. She's not very big either.
    I don't get it on this "it's too heavy" and "it kicks too hard and bruised me, here's a pic" business. Some people are just stronger and tougher than many others.
    We are in the Survival Forum. If it comes down to trying to survive, you might be inconveinienced at times.
    Obviouly there are many people who are not strong enough and tough enough to survive.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I can't imagine anyone planning to walk anywhere carrying a 8 or 9 pound rifle. Well, maybe people who've never walked anywhere carrying a rifle.

My GF can walk several miles over broken terrain with an M1 Garand and a 10-pocket cartridge belt on suspenders. She's not very big either.
    I don't get it on this "it's too heavy" and "it kicks too hard and bruised me, here's a pic" business. Some people are just stronger and tougher than many others.
    We are in the Survival Forum. If it comes down to trying to survive, you might be inconveinienced at times.
    Obviouly there are many people who are not strong enough and tough enough to survive.

I think the M1 GARAND is a little long to fit under the seat of a truck;)

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    What about something like this?

plr16_5287.jpg

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I was thinking the kel-tec because of the glock mags, I can get the 15 or 17 round ones and maybe even a 33 and if something happens to it during a situation the same mags would still be able to fit in my glock.... an sks would be nice, slightly outta my price range and won't help my consolidate ammo.

I paid close to $350 for my Sub2k, I think I could have found an SKS for less, and I know I could have found a single stack WASR-10 for less.

I have since sold my Sub2k, but I would like to get another. It was a fun gun, and handy since it folded. If I was looking for a trunk gun, it would be a toss up between an under-folder AK (what I sold the Sub2k to buy) or another Sub2k. If I carried a Glock, it wouldnt even be a question.

Oh, and KelTecs customer service is very good. I cracked the frame of the gun, completely my fault, and they still replaced it. It only took a few weeks too!

Top Bottom