• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You guys just had to go an invoke the global warming hoax! ARGH!! MY HEAD IS EXPLODING!

It's now official gospel in a lot of textbooks and curricula in schools and colleges. The physics text from which I teach (Giancolli) even mentions it as something "we" have to stop. I was watching a "science" program on NHAUS (one of the university televised classes stations on the satellited) and not only was man-made global warming touted as a dire threat to us all, but also depletion of the ozone layer due to human behaviors.

Hasn't anyone gotten the memo that the hole in the ozone layer has been closing for years now and that its fluctuation is clearly a natural phenomenon? One of my great shames is that I bought into the hysteria years ago. I ignored compelling arguments about the many equilibria and other natual processes involved in our atmosphere because I allowed myself to be brainwashed by the popular media. I disgust myself.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Global Warming.
    Next your going to me that oil comes from squeezed dinosaurs.
    And carbon dioxide emissions are going to destroy us all.....

As far as the ozone thingy at least you have seen the error of your ways.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You may be onto something with the squeezed dinosaurs.

I have an idea of how we can achieve "energy independence." All we need are some dinosaurs and a big Juice Tiger to push them through.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I actually have a co-worker who was trying to explain to me how CO2 emissions are causing all the environmental troubles in the world...
    I asked if her yard was greener this over last year...

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Well it all depends if I have a tee-time in the morning. Wife will be ok until I am done golfing and the boy loves golfing too.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I heard the ice age thing on the radio the other day. That is why the Algore crew isn't talking about global warming now, it is global climate change. Whatever happens up or down they are correct and it is man's fault. And of course none of us can question him since he is a Nobel laureate... you peasants.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I actually have a co-worker who was trying to explain to me how CO2 emissions are causing all the environmental troubles in the world...
    I asked if her yard was greener this over last year...

You probably shouldn't let her know that the CO2 concentrations lag the temperature increases, so it would be kinda hard for them to actually cause the temperature increases. That whole silly thing about an equilibrium between CO2 dissolved in the oceans with what is in the atmosphere just gets in the way of so many “facts” presumed before the questions are asked and before any legitimate analysis.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Her biggest complaint as to the producers of CO2 was livestock producers. Because confinement livestock operations generate such a compacted volume. Plus the number of livestock in the US is entirely to high for are need. I asked her were does meat and milk come from. Her reply was the grocery store. I then asked where the grocer gets the meat and milk from. A factory. I had to leave after she said that.

As soon as I figure out how to cure/ fix stupid I am going to bottle it and sell it by the gallon. I'll be rich I tell ya... Rich!

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Yes I read the book. Mustard gas in mason jars was interesting. I picked an asteroid because of the devastation. The thirty minute warning because some hobby astronomer with a digital viewer could call FOX or Drudge to warn us.......

Most survivial or disaster stories have the family basically intact. I just wanted to throw a twist. Minutes to prepare, bang and several different layers of mayhem.......

My wife also had a laugh that I killed her off within 30 minutes of a disaster. She said she would enjoy the rest.

DodgebyDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    It would take my GF at least 30 minutes just to get coffee.

So does this hero hook up with any hot chicks after? I would have to think it would take 3 or 4 to console me after such a traumatic event.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Her biggest complaint as to the producers of CO2 was livestock producers. Because confinement livestock operations generate such a compacted volume. Plus the number of livestock in the US is entirely to high for are need. I asked her were does meat and milk come from. Her reply was the grocery store. I then asked where the grocer gets the meat and milk from. A factory. I had to leave after she said that.

As soon as I figure out how to cure/ fix stupid I am going to bottle it and sell it by the gallon. I'll be rich I tell ya... Rich!

Some how I think someone beat you to it...now if you could make it legal to cure/fix stupid you would be rich!
    http://www.som.uq.edu.au/M-H-Museum/Images/arsenic.jpg

Last edited:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I wouldn't even worry about it.

I don't have a spouse.

Just partition off the part of the house that was damaged, light up the fireplace, and wait it out with a long gun as a primary.

Got plenty of canned food, and I can hunt after that (animals would be driven my way in a disaster like this...)

Josh <><

P.S. A strike around here would likely trigger a huge earthquake. I'd be more concerned about that. J.S.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    As for senerios go , I think the Book-Movie The Stand would be more likely to happen. With out the Devil of course. That said , and to the OPs situation, I have taken into aoount tree fall as well as derbis as well as several other factors into placement of our safe room. It takes less than 5 minutes for our family including small children to make it in, and that isn't an actual active threat time.Actual time when a threat was percieved was under 3 minutes, for children, and under 5 miuntes including getting coffee cups made up. We have not been conducting drills as needed though and will be basing a new drilling system soon using random timer events to test our system and to work out kinks. Standardized fire -tornadoe drills are still in the education phase, for our children and refinement phase for us, as a couple.

Sorry Spell check has not been installed on this newly aquired laptop. This is also the first time I have used a laptop and I have had a LONG day. I just wanted to connect with you all, and play on my wifes new toy.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/impacteffects/

You are, BTW, describing an asteroid 3.2-5 km in diameter. At the small end of that range, it puts 5 cubic miles of varporized rock into the atmosphere. That may be enough to trigger an ice age.

Using the smaller size of that range, you would have to get about 900 miles away from the impact point to get outside the range of immediate destruction (defined for this purpose as far enough that the air blast no longer shatters glass windows). At the large end of that range, you need to get an 1400 miles away from the impact point to get outside the range of immediate destruction.

Max winds from that air blast at that distance is 116 MPH. That and the overpressure from the blast will mean that cars won't really be available as shelter, let alone transportation.

The final crater would be at least 25 miles across and more than half a mile deep.

This isn't just SHTF, this is TEOTWAWKI.

Incidentally, such an impact is a once in 20 million years type event.
    I don't know how you knew where to find all that...but that's AWESOME!!
    Reps

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Maybe we can find an asteroid just large enough to exactly counter the supposed global warming and redirect it to hit the earth. Where would we want it to land?
    Washington DC, 1/20/09, about 10 AM or so.

That or Chicago, anytime Daley is in town, NYC with Bloomberg there, or Brady Campaign HQ, whenever.

:twocents:

Top Bottom