• jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think two things can be true.

1. Government is too big. It's in need of some serious downgrading.
    2. Shutting down parts of government over a political squabble unnecessarily harms people who didn't do anything wrong. It's not a sin to be a government worker (although I concede that belonging to a public union is like being a Nazi)

We can say we don't care if government shrinks. But then we have to take that to some pretty morally questionable depths to say that, while knowing it will cause a high impact to innocent people.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    My concern is for the innocent people who are highly impacted due to the federal government taxing and regulating those innocents out of fruits of their labor to feed the leviathan. Hell, our children's children will have even greater portions of their property stripped to support the seemingly boundless growth of the federal government.

Good news..... there is this thing called the "free market" where displaced workers can find jobs in the private sector. Great news.... workers are in high demand in the private sector right now.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I feel for people who arent getting a paycheck, but you will eventually if you are working. You will get backpay for your work.
    This notion that we need to open up the government just to keep people employed is rediculous. Sorry your job is being used by Democrats as political leverage. However non government employed Americans all over this country are always subjected to layoffs or contract disputes which lead to strikes and those people will not get backpay because the work stops and sometimes their jobs are eliminated. The govt employees who arent working wont get backpay however but they should qualify for things like unemployment. If not, maybe find another job if you wish.
    Government must do what's right for the nation. If you work for the government you serve at the pleasure of the people and if those government services are no longer needed or shut down then its sucks for you I understand, but that's the job you signed up for.
    I think the president will declare an emergency maybe today and get this thing built without Congress who is the most ineffective and powerless body right now in the history of this country. If that's the case then you will be back to work soon.

When I've heard people talk about Pres. Trump shutting down things. I like too point out, that's a two way street. If the Democrats put the $ for a wall, then he wouldn't have that excuse.
    So two sides, NOT one, are doing it.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Correct me if I am wrong.

If congress writes a bill and both houses vote it through, but the President veto's it. It can then go back to the congress and they can override his veto and pass it without his signature.

It seems to me that if they really think something is important enough they can get the job done.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My concern is for the innocent people who are highly impacted due to the federal government taxing and regulating those innocents out of fruits of their labor to feed the leviathan. Hell, our children's children will have even greater portions of their property stripped to support the seemingly boundless growth of the federal government.

Good news..... there is this thing called the "free market" where displaced workers can find jobs in the private sector. Great news.... workers are in high demand in the private sector right now.

Winner

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I feel for people who arent getting a paycheck, but you will eventually if you are working. You will get backpay for your work.
    This notion that we need to open up the government just to keep people employed is rediculous. Sorry your job is being used by Democrats as political leverage. However non government employed Americans all over this country are always subjected to layoffs or contract disputes which lead to strikes and those people will not get backpay because the work stops and sometimes their jobs are eliminated. The govt employees who arent working wont get backpay however but they should qualify for things like unemployment. If not, maybe find another job if you wish.
    Government must do what's right for the nation. If you work for the government you serve at the pleasure of the people and if those government services are no longer needed or shut down then its sucks for you I understand, but that's the job you signed up for.
    I think the president will declare an emergency maybe today and get this thing built without Congress who is the most ineffective and powerless body right now in the history of this country. If that's the case then you will be back to work soon.

Yes, they will TT...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Historically it has been done. But with Trump it may be a negotiating factor.

Speaking of Trump where are the popularity polls since the shutdown? My guess is that he is as popular as ever

As popular as ever? If true, that shows us how easily his voting base can be steered in another direction. I would think, that even with those he had a 100% approval, even they would have slipped a bit.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    All of the stories this past week showing how workers are struggling, no food, unable to make mortgage/rent payments were really sad. Imagine how bad it will be once they actually miss their first paycheck.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    All of the stories this past week showing how workers are struggling, no food, unable to make mortgage/rent payments were really sad. Imagine how bad it will be once they actually miss their first paycheck.
    I’m feeling the pinch already.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Are all federal workers paid on the same day. Serious question. It seems odd that they aren't staggered.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand

I was about ready to yell at my TV when I saw the story about the guy who says hes fighting off the banks left and right already and just doesn't know what hes going to do. At the time he still hadn't missed the first paycheck. So all the problems he was having were his own anyway, but it was suddenly the governments fault.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    As popular as ever? If true, that shows us how easily his voting base can be steered in another direction. I would think, that even with those he had a 100% approval, even they would have slipped a bit.

That is because you are on the other side. I think it is called bias affirmation or something like that. On INGO some call it tribalism.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

:lmfao:
    You can't be serious. Steered in another direction?? He is actively working on following one of his biggest campaign promises.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    :lmfao:
    You can't be serious. Steered in another direction?? He is actively working on following one of his biggest campaign promises.

So apparently he didn't lose any clout over bumpstocks. You'd think even the true believers would see that as a knock his perfection :dunno:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    iSeekLight
    Top Bottom