• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I don't think they should outlaw government shutdowns. I think instead they should do something more consistent with their fiscal role, which is, among other things, to pass an annual budget. This continuing resolution bull**** gives them a mechanism to essentially bypass the normal process and sneak in spending however they see fit. Well **** that.

I want a law that requires an annual budget be signed into law by a deadline every year. If one isn't signed by the deadline, a default budget automatically goes into effect, which is the previous year's budget reduced 10% across the board.

If they don't want the 10% budget reduction from the previous year's spending, I guess they better start agreeing to some things.
    A 10% budget reduction will affect the alphabet agencies rather than those on The Hill. If you want a budget passed each year it is simple - if a budget is not passed then everyone in the House and Senate is automatically removed from office, are ineligible to run for public office for at least 10 years, and new elections are held for the vacated seats.

I can pretty much guarantee that we'll see a budget get passed after that.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    A 10% budget reduction will affect the alphabet agencies rather than those on The Hill. If you want a budget passed each year it is simple - if a budget is not passed then everyone in the House and Senate is automatically removed from office, are ineligible to run for public office for at least 10 years, and new elections are held for the vacated seats.

I can pretty much guarantee that we'll see a budget get passed after that.
    As if they would ever do that to themselves. We are doomed to die a financial death because these idjits can't stop spending like a school girl with daddy's credit card

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think more than anything else, they recognize this as a somewhat effective means to force congress to act. It's telling that they're more interested in solving this 'problem' than the one that generated the shutdown in the first place - whether you hold that original problem to be that part of the government was vulbnerable to shutdown due to no enacted budget or that the president leveraged that weakness (or both)

If, in addition to the above, no one in office in the Legislative Branch or presidential appointment level and above in the Executive Branch get paid or have appropriations for personal staff or travel or any perks of office you could get me on board
    Well, no. Not necessarily every penny. If they don’t meet the deadline then the default budget goes into effect, so that IS a budget. Of course as part of the default budget, I could be talked into something like that.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Also thinking a sort of final countdown might speed things up. The automatic continuing resolution would be replaced with a series of 30 day continuing resolutions; then no budget zero day -10%, no budget +30 -15%, no budget +60 -20% etc until they either do their job or their constituency get out the pitch forks and the torches

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Also thinking a sort of final countdown might speed things up. The automatic continuing resolution would be replaced with a series of 30 day continuing resolutions; then no budget zero day -10%, no budget +30 -15%, no budget +60 -20% etc until they either do their job or their constituency get out the pitch forks and the torches

Can we just skip to pitchforks and torches? :dunno:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

They would just vote themselves extensions.

Top Bottom