• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    A physican friend of mine at work is considering buying a handgun and asked my opinion, because he knows I am a Glock guy. Without too many details here is the skinny: He is looking to buy a Sig compact chambered in 40 caliber or a Glock (presumably a 23). He said the Sigs are more expensive and that was part of what was holding him back. Something like $750 vs $500. His wife is a hindering factor on the price, not his income level. I told him that Glocks are great guns, and I have never fired a Sig, but I have read lots of good things about them. I also told him that the cost of any gun ends up being in the ammo in the long run so you might as well get something you like even if you have to pay a bit more for it. I also told him that the $250 represents about 10 boxes of ammo and "What is $250 in a gun you are going to own for the next 40 years?" He can always pick up a used Glock somewhere. It's not like they are rare. Any thoughts?

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    i like Sig, here is why. i think they are safer. because of the fact they have an external hammer and your able to see what is going on with the gun, they have a safety, and the decocker. it just gives the user more safety features and visuals. and Sig is a great gun period

good luck

jake

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    SIGs dont have a safety. I have both and would recommend either. Have him go handle both, and if possible shoot them. Whatever one feels best to him and can shoot best is what he should buy.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    you sir are right about sigs not having a safety. i apologize! i should know this since i've had a p 220 for about 15 years. i was thinking of the FN's

Sig is still the way to go tho!

jake

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Both are great, cant go wrong with either. Just personal prefference. I prefer Glock, and Sigs do not feel right in my hand at all. Still great guns just not for me, same as how Glocks are not for everyone. Handle and shoot both if possible and have him go with what he likes best. Either one will serve him well though.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I have no experience with sigs. They are great guns from what I hear. I am biased though, my first and only HANDGUN is a glock 19. I dont think id want to carry anything else. Jus' sayin.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I have had both, a P229 and a G23. To me, the Sig shot better and the Glock carried better. If it's for home defense or the range, go Sig and for carry, go Glock.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    To me, the Sig shot better and the Glock carried better.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFd3kF6LHz4]YouTube - Glock 23 At 230 Yards[/ame]

Watch that video... I think the glock shoots fine. (thats a .40 too!)

EDIT: Start the video at 3:06. He does some talking and a few warmup shots.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    The feel is so much different between the two that it's hard to compare them because of that. The SIG sets much higher in the hand and the problem I had with mine was I constantly had my thumb resting over the slide release. It is in a great position since it doesn't force your hand forward to hit the release but with a 'thumbs forward' style grip like you'd use on a Glock it won't work. I had to change my grip on the gun to insure I didn't do that and I didn't like having to. I don't want to think that if I ever did have to use it, whether in self defense or in competition, that I had to worry about my grip and whether or not I had the slide close on an empty chamber.

They are both engineered differently; the SIG looks like a freakin' high-end pocket watch with all the goings on inside and the Glock is about as spartan as you can get without it being a rock. And, I didn't like the DA/SA trigger. I DO like the fact that there aren't any extra buttons or levers on the SIG that don't need to be there and I like the concept of the decocker but it's just too easy to have an entire line of pistols like the Glock that can be carried with one in the pipe and there is no difference in the trigger from the first pull to the last.

I thought the SIG did a great job of soaking up the .40 cal recoil, better than my Glock 35 did. I didn't feel as much of the recoil but with my grip it felt like the muzzle flipped much more on the SIG than it did on my Glocks. After shooting them side by side they are more different than alike in like some important areas...the lower bore of the Glock, the ability for me to grip the gun the way I do with my thumbs forward in a very aggressive grip and the same trigger all the time on the Glock made my mind up for me. The SIG, as much as I love and respect their brand, just was not for me.

In the end it's a win/win for which brand he gets IF he gets the one that HE likes and shoots better. The market is in Glocks favor when it comes to who carries holsters, extra mags and all that. It is so much easier to find extra gear for them but that isn't always a deciding factor for some.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Tell him to go to a gunstore/range that rents guns (NOT DONS GUNS) and try them out. We can give you all the facts or opinions in the world, its not going to make him perform with a certain one better than the other. I prefer glocks, but then ive never shot a sig. So who am I to say :dunno:

I can tell you this... they are both fine machines, I dont think you could go wrong with either.

HogDaddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    s indy
    Both are good guns. I own both and like both. I carry on of my glocks more than the sigs. In todays economic conditions, I agree with you modelflyer2003 save the money to spend on ammo or training. Sigs do come with a safety if they are single actions.

Typhon1390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I own a Sig Sauer P229R and a Glock 19. I owned a Glock 22 previously. They're all great guns. My Glock 19 is actually my go to gun right now due to ammo costs, but I like the Sig the best.

I would second the advice on having him handle both though. As I'm sure you're aware, some people absolutely hate Glocks just for how they feel/look.

I'd also explain the DA/SA and hammer set up vs. the DAO (like) striker fire set up on the Glock. That's a very significant difference that could be a deal breaker either way for some. I prefer the DA/SA set up, but it's also harder to get proficient with.

Just put both in his hands and give him the basic breakdown of that difference and let him choose. If he doesn't like the large grip on the 229, try and find one of the new E-2 variants which are smaller and supposedly more ergonomic.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Carried a Glock for 11 years now. Good gun, cant go wrong. Look at what all the police agencies are carrying and the research they have done. You will see some Sigs, some Berettas, some M and P... but hands down you see mostly Glocks.

Top Bottom