• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So my Son has narrowed down the field to a Sig P320 and a few other renderings in 9mm, Glock 17, Springfield XD. Next week we are going back to the range and he is going to have a side by show down to determine his first Handgun. Some of the pluses appear to be size, grip angle and sights. Anyone have any info or alternatives to look at?

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I would say maybe take a look at the S&W M&P series. I really really like the M&P I have been issued and carried a Sig p series and Glock in the past and have had a 320 for years they bolts make solid products.

Because of that I would say the Glock or Sig would be the hard choice. Both have a bewildering amount of factory support and a solid track record. And in both duty and or competition what few issues I have seen with Glocks or Sig 320s is non OEM parts or YouTube trigger jobs was the culprit. So it’s basically what one likes.

Again just what I have observed with both agency stuff, private training courses and IDPA,USPSA matches the last couple decades

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I own 4-320’s
    3 glocks
    1 xd45
    All 3 are good guns, all 3 would be a great choice
    But, I only purchased 1 of the glocks a 19c that I got for an amazing price(it was used), the other two I inherited when my dad passed (I was actually getting ready to go trade the glock 19c on a p320, when I won one in a raffle)
    I picked up the xd45 for an amazing price too (also used)

But I’ll never buy another Glock or xd!, the ergonomics of the Glock aren’t great, the grip angle is too far forward, and the trigger guard needs a deeper undercut so it won’t dig into my (and other peoples) knuckle.

The Springfield trigger is mushy, spongy, and has an overall “worst factory trigger” I’ve ever felt! (Yes it’s worse than most double action only semi autos and double action revolvers!), now that’s a gen1 not a xdm, which is a lot better!

Another to look at is the smith and Wesson m&p 9, that would rate under the p320 and leaps and bounds above the glock and Springfield, and don’t rule out the canick’s they’re a hell of a gun for the money!

Good luck!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I own 4-320’s
    3 glocks
    1 xd45
    All 3 are good guns, all 3 would be a great choice
    But, I only purchased 1 of the glocks a 19c that I got for an amazing price(it was used), the other two I inherited when my dad passed (I was actually getting ready to go trade the glock 19c on a p320, when I won one in a raffle)
    I picked up the xd45 for an amazing price too (also used)

But I’ll never buy another Glock or xd!, the ergonomics of the Glock aren’t great, the grip angle is too far forward, and the trigger guard needs a deeper undercut so it won’t dig into my (and other peoples) knuckle.

The Springfield trigger is mushy, spongy, and has an overall “worst factory trigger” I’ve ever felt! (Yes it’s worse than most double action only semi autos and double action revolvers!), now that’s a gen1 not a xdm, which is a lot better!

Another to look at is the smith and Wesson m&p 9, that would rate under the p320 and leaps and bounds above the glock and Springfield, and don’t rule out the canick’s they’re a hell of a gun for the money!

Good luck!
    Not to offend anyone but he said the Glock was like holding a piece of 2x4. Really glad he is not jumping into it and taking his time. I have to say the x Ray sights are a nice feature.

yogiibare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2017
    Northside of Indy
    My vote would be for the P320. Given that the fire control group is the serialized part of a P320; factory or after market grip frames can be changed out for little cost and can help get the right ergonomics for your son. Other guns that have less of a 2x4 feel would be the Walther PDP or HK VP9. He can’t go wrong with any of them he is considering.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'd also say if the 320 is a serious contender for him, don't get too hung up on the grip size/width, etc, as that is easily changed with either another Sig OEM module or better yet a Wilson Combat grip module for not much $ since the grip module is not the serial numbered part.

The slide length (which of course could also be changed but with more expense than a grip module) is the more critical aspect as well as whether he wants optic ready or not.

I like others have and still own a few Glocks but would highly recommend the 320 models (of which I own a few, and really like the 320 X-compacts especially when outfitted with WC grip modules) or the M&P Compact 2.0's. I still have a couple of the M&Ps as well (on which the triggers can be upgraded a good bit with Apex parts if so desired).

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Hope he gets the 320. Hope he fires it a ton. Current government model pistol like the M9 and 1911 before it.

First handguns to me should be a 22 long rifle and about 3 cases of 22. Heck that’s what I did but everyone different. I wanted to shoot it a ton and become a good pistol shot. I also wanted it to be my issues and not the guns.

Still have the ruger mark 2 government model today. Second pistol was a smith model 60 I still have and third was a TC Contender I still have.

These first purchases seem to last the longest. Don’t overlook something because it costs a couple hundred more than another.

Figure I have had the mark 2 since 1986. So going into having it 40 years soon. Cost average 35 years of ownership in monthly payments. That is 420 months and the purchase price was well under a dollar a month.

He should fire the following
    Sig 226/229
    CZ 75
    Springfield range officer 9mm

Guns also needs to call to him. Sometimes I think the gun picks us rather than we picking the gun.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I'd also say if the 320 is a serious contender for him, don't get too hung up on the grip size/width, etc, as that is easily changed with either another Sig OEM module or better yet a Wilson Combat grip module for not much $ since the grip module is not the serial numbered part.

The slide length (which of course could also be changed but with more expense than a grip module) is the more critical aspect as well as whether he wants optic ready or not.

I like others have and still own a few Glocks but would highly recommend the 320 models (of which I own a few, and really like the 320 X-compacts especially when outfitted with WC grip modules) or the M&P Compact 2.0's. I still have a couple of the M&Ps as well (on which the triggers can be upgraded a good bit with Apex parts if so desired).
    Know, anything about an AXG model looks like the grips could be easily changed optics ready etc.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I'm partial to the Sig 320 and Glocks, but round out the list with the CZ P10, and Walther PPQ. If you can't find a gun you like from those four, you probably won't like any striker fired pistol.

If he likes a "standard" grip angle, the Sig 320 is a good bet. And magazines are easier to find locally than the others.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Know, anything about an AXG model looks like the grips could be easily changed optics ready etc.
    AXGs are nice and I personally like the Alloy frame but it costs. And while the idea of changing grips sounds good The only gripe I have ever changed out was my Revolvers. My Sigs 1911’s a Gi Power and even older 3rd Gen S&W I never bothered so sometimes that’s just a marketing thing but each their own.

If that higher cost is a factor
    If a RDS is something he thinks he might add later. As far as SIG I’d look at one of the Sig X Carry or X Compact OR the M18 as they have the same RDS mounting options at almost half the cost of the AXG.

Good luck

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    We have 3 M17's a slew of 226's 228's, 229's and P250's in a few calibers.
    Like others have said above, shoot all the P series you can.
    And pick one of them.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Sig outglocked Glock with the P320. It's a high quality, reliable, and affordable defensive arm with a good trigger and an exhaustive array of grip options from both Sig themselves and an increasing number of aftermarket providers. They're also incredibly easy to shoot well.

IMO the "Compact" or "Carry" size offers the most versatility in grip options. Unless he really wants the longer barrel length and sight radius of the full-size, a gun with the compact-length slide will allow you to use a compact grip (15 round flush-fit mag), carry (17 round flush-fit mag), or it will even work with the subcompact grip modules (`12 round flush-fit mag).

One thing to keep in mind...the P320 achieves it's excellent trigger through the use of a pre-cocked striker. Pulling the trigger just moves the sear out of the way, disengages the striker block, and allows the striker to fall. It's akin to carrying a single-action handgun "cocked and unlocked". Make sure he gets a good holster that protects the trigger guard, and exercises care particularly when re-holstering, as it doesn't take much force on that trigger (intentional or otherwise) to discharge the gun. I'm not personally a fan of a manual safety on a carry gun, but they are offered in that configuration if he prefers.

desnifter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2022
    USA
    I'd recommend he get whatever feels best in his hand. All are good options, and similar enough that really it should come down to personal preference. My choice would be the glock, I've competed with them for forever with excellent reliability. The sig's are very nice as well though I'd look more heavily into the negligent discharges they were having. The M&P I never could get past the hinge in the trigger itself, always drove me nuts.

Top Bottom