• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    So I recently picked up a very nice W. German Sig Sauer P228. First off, I've been thinking of selling other guns JUST to get another one...I'm that sold on the gun. That's another story. Anyways, when I purchased it, it came fitted with Hogue rubber grips. They're fine but not for me. I ordered P228 factory grips from TGS, not knowing I would later receive the original grips from the previous owner.

Long story short, new "factory" P228 grips are thicker than the ORIGINAL P228 grips. It's not enough difference like a pps vs a double stack .45 HOWEVER, the palm swell is significant enough where if you have larger hands, ordering a set of these grips may be a good idea.

It's pretty hard to show the width difference without calipers but if anyone is interested (or cares that much) I can try to post some pictures. The grips fit fine on the older guns (slight screw hole modification to make hole larger) but they work. Just slightly thicker.

Anyways, just thought I would share the info for anyone interested. Definitely has me convinced as well that the new "M11-A1" is definitely a P229. That's fine though, at least Sig is trying to make new guns and not stopping production!

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    I love my Sig 228 so much I bought another one. one will stay stock and the other I plan on doing a little home modifications to it, like an SRT kit and maybe polishing some of the trigger parts.

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    I love my Sig 228 so much I bought another one. one will stay stock and the other I plan on doing a little home modifications to it, like an SRT kit and maybe polishing some of the trigger parts.

Man I can find ZERO negative things about these guns. They are top notch, and rival any gun. I don't think there's a role they cant fulfill.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I was issued a SIG P228 and they are great. When we purchased new ones we had to go with the 229. The only difference between the two is the 228 has a stamped metal slide and the 229 is milled from a solid block. The only issue we have had (which wernt issues since they kept firing) was due to high usage a couple roll pins broke so the breech block became a little loose and of course some of the recoil springs became worn that the slode was sluugish under recoil. We replaced the pins and srings. We havent had any other issues and they all(other than the newer 229's) have hundreds of thousands of rounds through them.

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    I was issued a SIG P228 and they are great. When we purchased new ones we had to go with the 229. The only difference between the two is the 228 has a stamped metal slide and the 229 is milled from a solid block. The only issue we have had (which wernt issues since they kept firing) was due to high usage a couple roll pins broke so the breech block became a little loose and of course some of the recoil springs became worn that the slode was sluugish under recoil. We replaced the pins and srings. We havent had any other issues and they all(other than the newer 229's) have hundreds of thousands of rounds through them.

They really do just keep on going. I would imagine the only gun on par with them is HK....I know I know I know...glocks can run with them, but I think the HK and SIG are on a different level. They just dont die. :twocents:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    My very first 9mm was a P228 many moons ago. Had 2 of them.

Nice guns, but they're "flippier" than current lower bore axis designs, and I thought the finish was somewhat fragile.

They work though, and feed just about everything. Love the "classic" look.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    As most of the serious Sig collectors in the country know, I'm a P228 fanatic. I currently own 36 of them, including 5 pristine nickel guns. 28 are collector guns that have never been fired. The other 8 are fired every chance I get. IMO, they are the best production handgun yet made. When we say P228, to be clear, we're discussing the ones made prior to 1988. The ones called P228s today are in name only.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    My very first 9mm was a P228 many moons ago. Had 2 of them.

Nice guns, but they're "flippier" than current lower bore axis designs, and I thought the finish was somewhat fragile.

They work though, and feed just about everything. Love the "classic" look.

Beginning shooters often comment that they like the heavier slide of the P229 compared to the lighter, folded carbon slides on the P228. Less "flippy" for them. As for the finish being fragile.....perhaps on the full nickel guns but Sig's typical finishes have always been legendary in the gun industry.

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    There are two different kinds of P228 grips out there. The more desirable ones do not have the Lanyard loop. My P228 came with both sets.

And there sir...is the difference. I too now have both sets and the grips without the loop are the thinner set.

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    As most of the serious Sig collectors in the country know, I'm a P228 fanatic. I currently own 36 of them, including 5 pristine nickel guns. 28 are collector guns that have never been fired. The other 8 are fired every chance I get. IMO, they are the best production handgun yet made. When we say P228, to be clear, we're discussing the ones made prior to 1988. The ones called P228s today are in name only.

You are ALMOST correct good sir....We will include guns made in 1990 as well that are stamped W. German....Because that is what my newly acquired one is....and I dont want to be left out of the West German Sig fanboy club ;):D

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... As for the finish being fragile.....Sig's typical finishes have always been legendary in the gun industry.

Yeah, right. Personal experience with 5 SIGs over the years tells a different tale.

Holster wear with the the standard finish from the mid 80's up to the mid 90's was rapid.
    There was always a murmur of complaining going on amongst SIG owners related to finish. Been there. Done that.

Maybe/hopefully they've improved on this in the last 15 or so years.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    When we say P228, to be clear, we're discussing the ones made prior to 1988. The ones called P228s today are in name only.

Wrong. I have a W. German KD date-coded 228 which corresponds to 1993. It is a 100% P228. The achilles heel of older P-series pistols was their finish. It would easily rub off and tend to rust. I've had it happen to a handful of W. German P226s and P228s.

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    This isn't a slam at all towards anyone, as I consider myself a very hardcore up and coming sig enthusiast, (just dont have the funds for a large collection :() anyways, I feel like Sig purists are almost as bad as 1911 purists lol...I just enjoy them for what they are. They dont HAVE to have an Achilles heal or any flaws doe that matter, think of it as their character :) I like the wear as I think my P228 wears it as a badge of honor!:rockwoot:(side note: rust does suck though, as does pitting :() but that would be true with any gun

Top Bottom