• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Here is a dumb question; why are there different sights for carry vs competition? Aren't both shooting styles focusing on quick shots to a larger target than say a precision shooter?

I recently switched to XS Big Dots on my EDC. The thinking is that the big front sight will be easier to pick up quickly on a close range human sized target. Simply dot the eye. Both front and rear contain tritium and glow green at night.

They are great for under 15 yards, but aren't really suited for competition or precision shooting because it's tough to hit small targets beyond that. The large front dot covers so much of the target.

20141120_170942_zpsjdi5ofqy.jpg

20141120_171631_zpsfbfdmejd.jpg

20141120_171125_zpsj8jxrbyc.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I use these so of course this is what you should use also.:)

AMERIGLO - S&W M&P CAP SIGHT SET

The yellow on the rear is pretty faint. I was going to black it out as I prefer a black rear, but it was so much less bright than the front that I have left it alone for now.

Last edited:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I have actually fired a handgun in an unlit house at night. I could not see any sights, just pointed. Being able to see a sight would have been prefered. I have night sights on a pistol that is very comfortable to shoot. Never fired a night sight pistol in the house. Pointing that pistol around in a dark room seems like glowing sights would be an advantage. I hope to never have to find out. Using the night sight equiped pistol for a couple of IDPA matches did not seem to hurt anything speed or accuracy wise. Admittedly I am not a big action pistol gun gamer. I just shoot what I would normally carry in a few matches to keep from getting rusty.

I like Chezuki's comment: "points very naturally and have reinforced that through practice". I think that is the Zen statement of fast, reliable, target engagement.

Im with you on hoping I never have to find out one way or the other. Some argue that if you don't have enough light to see the your sights how can you see your target? Again, I don't want to be forced to find out! I do think they are much much more than a novelty and I've shot some pistol games using my M&P9 with factory night sights and it has never once been a detriment.

As as far as the fixed versus adjustable I use fixed. In most cases the 'fine tuning' ability of an adjustable rear is probably wasted on a handgun if you are not shooting bullseye type matches. You can drift a fixed sight to your liking and it is much more durable than most adjustable sights.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I run a Trijicon HD (orange) front and 10-8 rear on my carry gun. I've ran it in a monthly USPSA match and some occasional steel matches out of my carry rig all year. I'm happy with my middle of the scoresheet results.

New folks often try to equipment buy their way into good competition shooting. IMHO they'd be a lot better off throwing initial $ to BFT or ACT or Max for instruction, then for bullets to apply what they've learned to practice and matches. Money thrown at new gear is often money wasted.
    Run what you've got. It's not the arrow...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I run a Trijicon HD (orange) front and 10-8 rear on my carry gun. I've ran it in a monthly USPSA match and some occasional steel matches out of my carry rig all year. I'm happy with my middle of the scoresheet results.

New folks often try to equipment buy their way into good competition shooting. IMHO they'd be a lot better off throwing initial $ to BFT or ACT or Max for instruction, then for bullets to apply what they've learned to practice and matches. Money thrown at new gear is often money wasted.

I agree and I'll add my thoughts that you do have to work with what you have physically. With getting older, my vision is making it difficult to obtain a sharp, in focus front sight. This is why I change sights so that I can hopefully see it better. I also wear shooting glasses with built in readers. When I was younger, changing sights never occurred to me.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I run Dawson fiber optic front sight and all black rear sight on my 1911's and CZ Tactical Sport that I shoot USPSA with.

As for sight picture you might watch this video of a USPSA Production Grand Master Matt Hopkins. He gives a great explanation of sight picture and goes over some other great things in this video.

[video=youtube;mDf_aOHXFrw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDf_aOHXFrw[/video]

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood

I have already taken Coach's Competition 101 Class, but thanks for the advice :yesway:

I just (1) want to practice with what I will use long term and (2) need something for my Christmas list.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I don't know about anyone else, but I can't focus on two things at one time, sights and target. The last match I shot, I point shot at every target except on the classifier. I had some mikes, but I'm trying to push my speed. As for sights, I paint the front and rear sights contrasting colors. Green front, and rear red. I like fiber optic sights for target shooting, but that's it. I'm not a proponent of night sights either. It's what works for me.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't know about anyone else, but I can't focus on two things at one time, sights and target. The last match I shot, I point shot at every target except on the classifier. I had some mikes, but I'm trying to push my speed. As for sights, I paint the front and rear sights contrasting colors. Green front, and rear red. I like fiber optic sights for target shooting, but that's it. I'm not a proponent of night sights either. It's what works for me.

Same here. I can correct my vision to see the front sight but the target is a blur. I can't see the lines that denote the zones on the brown IDPA/USPSA targets. It's just a brown piece of cardboard.

And I have no use for night sights.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I don't know why you would ever want fixed rear sights when you could have adjustable. I've had both and will never have a pistol without adjustable rear sights, unless it's a BUG gun. To me it's a no brainer.:ar15:

That's what I thought as well, but I see the majority of "competition" sights coming with a fixed rear.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I don't know why you would ever want fixed rear sights when you could have adjustable. I've had both and will never have a pistol without adjustable rear sights, unless it's a BUG gun. To me it's a no brainer.:ar15:

I'll always choose fixed over adjustable when I can.
    I've watched enough adjustables fail over the years.

-rvb

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    I'll always choose fixed over adjustable when I can.
    I've watched enough adjustables fail over the years.

-rvb

i guess I never thought of that since it has never happened to me at a match. I think I just jinxed myself!

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I've never had adjustables fail on me, but I haven't kept a gun for more than 10k rds either. I like the ability to adjust if I switch between 124s and 147s.

Night sights are really only good for finding your gun on the nightstand.

You should only have one sight picture because muscle memory and hicks law. Otherwise, you'll be slaughtered on the critical dynamic 2 way range.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've seen adjustable sights fail twice at matches. Also watched Coach pull his apart at the safe table to bend and reinsert the hinge pin so it would stay in for the rest of the match.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    :wow: esp considering I know you go through 2x that per year...

I only have a couple guns w/ less than 10k!! Ghesh, do you even break-in, bro! haha! awesome.

-rvb

What can I say? I have commitment issues.

I think this year is the first that I've been over 15k. The unicorn is probably close to the 10k mark, now that I think about it.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So I think I have the sights I want narrowed down. I am looking at this rear:

The front has a ridiculous amount of sizes to choose from. Can anyone verify that the front sight I need for an M&P9 is .160" tall? Also, do you guys recommend the .100" width or the .090" width?[/QUOTE]

That is somewhat personal and depends on your vision and other factors. My vision is getting older(about as old as I am) and I am cross dominant so with a .125" rear sight opening, I would go with a .090" front. If I went with the .100" I think I would spend too much time trying to find it.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    So I think I have the sights I want narrowed down. I am looking at this rear:

Dawson Black Adjustable Rear Sights for Smith and Wesson MP Detail Page

And this front:

DP Smith and Wesson MP Fiber Optic Front Sights Detail Page

The front has a ridiculous amount of sizes to choose from. Can anyone verify that the front sight I need for an M&P9 is .160" tall? Also, do you guys recommend the .100" width or the .090" width?
    The description on the adjustable rear says it requires a 0.285 tall front sight, if I'm reading it correctly. I'm guessing the adjustment must add height to the rear... I'd probably call Dawson to make sure you get the right combination.

Top Bottom