• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I bought a cheap laser bore sight and apparently hit the jackpot. When I set scopes up on 3 of my rifles last year my first shot was less than 2" off center of target. A lot cheaper to sight in my .300 WinMag as the cheapest ammo that I can find locally is around $2.50 per round.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

To me, correctly sighting in an optic starts with mounting it correctly first. If you haven't done that, you aren't ready to sight anything in.

How I sight in a rifle simply start at the 25 (or even closer if you suspect the optic might be way off) and make sure you are on paper. Adjust accordingly to make sure you are close and will be on paper at whatever range you intend to zero. Zero optic at your desired distance.

Last edited:

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I've killed myself over the last three years with this process. But recently, this is what I've done with success.

As was said above, make sure scope is mounted level and straight and screws are tightened to spec. Get a torque limiting driver.

Get a custom ballistic table (https://shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart.php)

Get a bore sight tool and figure out the range and what approximately the sights should look like in that table.

Shoot 3 at 50 yards, adjust

Shoot 3 at 100 yards, adjust (major bonus if you can borrow a good spotting scope. Even through a rifle scope holes are sometimes hard to pinpoint at 100 yards.

Be patient and be prepared to shoot more ammo than you think. Don't make adjustments on one shot.

Last edited:

DolomiteDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2022
    Carmel
    I start at 25 yards, and move back 25 yards at a time till I hit 100 yards. Takes 10 rounds max. I do it off of a tripod with a ball head. Have zeroed at 25 yards as well, and then just adjust based on a chart. I find that its less accurate L/R that way however

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    One of these. Inexpensive. Works for anything, rifle/pistol/shotgun, any caliber. Screw in the correct size adapter in the pencil end, stick it in the end of the barrel, point at a distant wall, adjust reticle as reqd. Gets it very close before leaving the house or firing a single round.

1668383467295.png

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Don’t usually do it this way but you can save some ammo like this. With your rifle locked down fire first shot. Hopefully it’s on paper. Adjust your optic without moving the rifle to the hit then fire second shot. Should be together. Then go back to X and fire three more. This will get you close.
    This is my system also..
    For me, to be sure, I usually fire 3 shots with the firearm "Locked Down", and then adjust the optic to that 3 round center.
    For me +++ on this method..Bill.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    One of these. Inexpensive. Works for anything, rifle/pistol/shotgun, any caliber. Screw in the correct size adapter in the pencil end, stick it in the end of the barrel, point at a distant wall, adjust reticle as reqd. Gets it very close before leaving the house or firing a single round.

View attachment 236590
    Just make sure you spend another couple bucks and buy the green laser version. Green laser can be seen on a shaded target in the daytime. Red versions only work indoors or when the sun is down.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Just make sure you spend another couple bucks and buy the green laser version. Green laser can be seen on a shaded target in the daytime. Red versions only work indoors or when the sun is down.
    It's much easier and cheaper to get on target as well. They will pay for themselves in short order especially when ammunition was outrageously high. Thankfully ammunition is starting to drop for most common calibers but still expensive.

I've been using Jake's bore sighters.

Rayz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2020
    Martinsville
    This is good, I have done it everydway that has been mentioned. Now zero with a laser at 25 yards. Move to 50 yards shoot then move the reticle and then out to a 100. Works well for me. Just seeing what others do

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    This is good, I have done it everydway that has been mentioned. Now zero with a laser at 25 yards. Move to 50 yards shoot then move the reticle and then out to a 100. Works well for me. Just seeing what others do
    Same here - except I also center the reticle in the scope.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Just don't forget to take out those end of muzzle lazers...

View attachment 236603 View attachment 236604 View attachment 236605
    Wow, Murphy really was an optimist. Leave the laser at home. Set reticle to be above the dot on the wall the same distance as the scope-to-barrel offset, then go to the range, without it. Simple & safe. Guess this assumes no loaded chamber while at home....

Top Bottom