• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dleach1988

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Is it legal to own silencers in Greenwood/Johnson county? i read somewhere that they're legal in the state, but local regulations vary within the state.

Thanks for answering

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    I think what you may be referring to is the CLEO requirement. There are some Chief Law Enforcement Officers (CLEO) that don't like to sign off on your forms but there are ways around that.

dleach1988

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    I think what you may be referring to is the CLEO requirement. There are some Chief Law Enforcement Officers (CLEO) that don't like to sign off on your forms but there are ways around that.

sounds interesting sir, enlighten me. i have no idea when it comes to this stuff

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You'll have no problem with either the Jo.Co. Sheriff, nor any of the other chiefs of police in Johnson County.

There are SOME liberal goofballs (some in Lake Co, I've heard) that won't sign off on the paperwork. The "way around" is 100% legal and involves the formation of a Trust. Using a trust to buy an NFA item, since it's not an individual, but an entity, doesn't need to have CLEO sign-off on the paperwork that individuals need.

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also note: If you go the individual route, the department that you utilize for the paperwork is the department that'd respond if you dialed 911.

I presume it's the same should you go the route of a trust, but I do not know for sure.

dleach1988

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    You'll have no problem with either the Jo.Co. Sheriff, nor any of the other chiefs of police in Johnson County.

There are SOME liberal goofballs (some in Lake Co, I've heard) that won't sign off on the paperwork. The "way around" is 100% legal and involves the formation of a Trust. Using a trust to buy an NFA item, since it's not an individual, but an entity, doesn't need to have CLEO sign-off on the paperwork that individuals need.

-J-

so how do you do it the "trust" way?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

All I know are generalities.

Step 1: File paperwork, pay some fees, start your Trust.

Step 2: You, as an agent of said Trust, go buy NFA item from your favorite purveyor of said fun things. HAVE THEM HELP YOU DO THE PAPERWORK.

Step 3: Send paperwork packet + all applicable excise tax payments to the BATFE.

Step 4: Wait. Wait. Wait. Wait some more.

Step 5: Go pick up new toys.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009

You're basically forming a revocable living trust (the same document you use to "will" your stuff to your heirs, it's a better form of a will). There are a couple ways to do it. You can find an estate lawyer to draw one up for you, you can find an estate lawyer who specializes in NFA trusts (to include NFA language in the trust, though this isn't really necessary, any legal trust will suffice) or you can DIY through software like Quicken Willmaker (certain versions have tools to create a trust), Legal Zoom or other computer software. The biggest thing is to make sure your trust is valid in your state. That's not that hard to do, but might take a little research if you do it yourself. If you use a lawyer, they will take care of that for you.

The benefits of a trust are:
    1. No CLEO sign-off, no fingerprints and no pictures. This saves time and hassle, especially for those in jurisdictions where their CLEOs won't sign.

2. The BIGGEST benefit to a trust is that you can add other people to it (family, friends, basically anyone legal to possess firearms) and they can have control over the firearm without you being present. If you register the NFA item as an individual, you need to be present for anyone to use or be in sole possession of your stuff. It also needs to be locked up when you are away.

3. If you draw up your trust correctly, it can continue on in perpetuity and you don't have to worry about transfers to heirs after you pass. If you didn't have it drawn up this way, it would still pass to whomever you chose as a beneficiary and that transfer would be tax free.

Hope this helps.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    2. The BIGGEST benefit to a trust is that you can add other people to it (family, friends, basically anyone legal to possess firearms) and they can have control over the firearm without you being present. If you register the NFA item as an individual, you need to be present for anyone to use or be in sole possession of your stuff. It also needs to be locked up when you are away.

Say that you get your father, 2 brothers, and a brother-in-law, and your best buddy on the Trust... You could, should you desire, pool resources together in order to purchase an NFA item.

But being able to let any member of the trust be in possession of the item is also a FANTASTIC benefit.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Say that you get your father, 2 brothers, and a brother-in-law, and your best buddy on the Trust... You could, should you desire, pool resources together in order to purchase an NFA item.

But being able to let any member of the trust be in possession of the item is also a FANTASTIC benefit.

I'm thinking we should get a lawyer together.....

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    Last I heard, the new chief at Greenwood PD isn't signing. I've been told that the county sheriff will still sign.

i moved to greenwood under a year ago from west laf. and have not purchased an nfa item since

but im ramping up for a new one soon can any one confirm this recently ???

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    i moved to greenwood under a year ago from west laf. and have not purchased an nfa item since

but im ramping up for a new one soon can any one confirm this recently ???

As of 2 weeks ago, he was not signing. I can confirm tomorrow if you'd like.

Top Bottom